Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom paint on prop

This came off our hull,at the dock in Annapolis:

Diver said this fuzzy stuff is the worst he's seen ever.

We have prop speed on the prop, he said he was able to brush the growth off easily with a gloved hand. Re our copper bottom paint, he again said it was easy to remove the growth. The copper paint didn't slow the growth tremendously compared to other types of bottom paint, but the big advantage is that our diver said he has worked on boats with this paint that have been eight years since their last bottom job. The paint cost us about $550/gallon, and coverage was equivalent to other bottom paint. So in my mind, the first time that we don't have to haul and redo the bottom, we're money ahead.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

I dunno- looks to me like your $550/gallon anti fouling coating isn't doing much of a job.
Old 07-19-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Fastbottoms - The growth was similar in quantity to the growth on other boats, but somewhat easier for him to remove than it was on boats using other kinds of paint. That translated to less underwater time for him, less cost for me. If, in addition the paint lasts 4 times longer in our location than other kinds of paints, fewer haulouts, again, less cost for me. And our boat sails faster with it than with our previous (ablative) paint. All in all, it seems to me that it is a substantial net advantage to me to have invested in the copper paint.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
I dunno- looks to me like your $550/gallon anti fouling coating isn't doing much of a job.
There is a 'brown baby barnacle' infestation this year on the bay - everyone regardless of paint type is getting covered. Wipes off easy, but only if you keep at it.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 07-19-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Fastbottoms - The growth was similar in quantity to the growth on other boats, but somewhat easier for him to remove than it was on boats using other kinds of paint.
What length of time had elapsed since the previous cleaning and the one illustrated in your pic?
Old 07-19-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Don't know where you're located but this year on the Chesapeake, the barnacle issue is extreme, nothing is working short of using your boat often.

For several years I've used the Pettit Zinc Coat with great results, I can post pictures to prove it, but this year for whatever reason nothing seems to working around here.

Wingnwing should post a pic of what a diver scrapped from their boat docked in Annapolis, it was unbelievable. I have been trying to find a report that might explain, the only thing I have seen is refering to the bays health, which BTW is reported to have improved last year to a grade of "C" or "C-"
For the past 3 years I have used Petit Zinc Coat transducer paint.

The first two years it seemed to work well, as I had minimal growth. Here is a pic that a diver took of my prop in September of 2011 while changing a zinc;

This year, however, it seems to have done little, if anything to stem the growth of the little buggers. I dove on the boat this past week, and it looked like 10 grit sand paper...

I believe that the issue is the warmer water that we are experiencing in Narraganset bay this year. Water temp is close to 80ļF already.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 07-19-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Clearly this year is different on the Chesapeake for all manner of critters. So I'll be the guy diving on his prop out in Herring Bay this weekend wearing his makeshift jellyfish armor: bicycle tights and long sleeved t-shirt

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-05-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

This from one of my previous posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I am reliably informed by friends and colleagues that this stuff is the only solution:

propspeed.com

My boat comes out in two weeks and I'm going to try it but unfortunately it will be two years before I can reliably report back.
So that's what I did and in August last year (8 months ago) I had the prop done by the Propspeed agents in Auckland. And I didn't have to wait two years for the results.

Whilst I haven't used the boat extensively, I did a 5 week local cruise over December/January and have been sailing at least one often twice a month. And slowly but surely the boat responded less smartly to engine power.

A month ago, after the agent being told that I had barnacles gathering on the prop, he said "Don't worry about what's on the prop. Stuff gathers but the first time you run the prop, everything will just fall off."

Well this weekend we went for a sail and the boat was sluggish beyond belief under power and whilst I haven't been under, I suspect the prop is once again, just a ball of sea-life.

I plan on taking a picture of the prop to show the agent so that I can get him involved in the $400 cost of hauling the boat and re-doing the Propspeed as per his guarantee.

I shall post that picture here too.

Suffice it to say I'm really disappointed.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 05-05-2014 at 03:59 AM.