SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bottom paint on prop (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100478-bottom-paint-prop.html)

PaulinVictoria 06-15-2013 01:04 PM

Bottom paint on prop

I've read about a hundred different threads, opinions and posts about what to use for antifouling on a prop. Is just whacking a thin coat of bottom paint on the prop (and shaft?) going to work? It's not like I have some high revving cigarette boat. It was easy with an outboard, just pull it out the water after using.
PSW (or PNW for you Americans) area, fixed prop.

Fstbttms 06-15-2013 03:49 PM

Re: Bottom paint on prop

It will work for a time. But not for a long time.

Omatako 06-15-2013 03:59 PM

Over the years I have tried many things and up until now nothing has worked to my satisfaction. Having said that, I have been sort of experimenting with the duration of the bottom paint and have recently extended the time between haul-outs to 30 months and I have found that the biggest impediment to this is the prop and shaft which look like a mussel farm after 24 months.

Normal anti foul will last a few months, International Trilux maybe a little longer but any ablative paint will wash off quite quickly. It's not about boat speed, it's about prop blade tip speed.

I am reliably informed by friends and colleagues that this stuff is the only solution:

propspeed.com

My boat comes out in two weeks and I'm going to try it but unfortunately it will be two years before I can reliably report back.

JimsCAL 06-15-2013 11:10 PM

Read post 11 in this thread.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...opeller-2.html

PaulinVictoria 06-15-2013 11:31 PM

Not ideal :)
I've also heard about using zinc paint, either in expensive marine formulations, or identical hardware store varieties. That sounds like it should work without the propeller eating.

dvuyxx 06-15-2013 11:31 PM

For a bronze prop, use Petit Zinc Barrier spray. It's not expensive. Just prep the prop properly (nice alliteration) bringing it down to bare clean metal and then wiping it down with MEK or acetone. Spray only two or three thin coats 20 minutes apart. It has worked well for me with very light growth over the course of a season.

aeventyr60 06-15-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omatako (Post 1044401)
Over the years I have tried many things and up until now nothing has worked to my satisfaction. Having said that, I have been sort of experimenting with the duration of the bottom paint and have recently extended the time between haul-outs to 30 months and I have found that the biggest impediment to this is the prop and shaft which look like a mussel farm after 24 months.

Normal anti foul will last a few months, International Trilux maybe a little longer but any ablative paint will wash off quite quickly. It's not about boat speed, it's about prop blade tip speed.

I am reliably informed by friends and colleagues that this stuff is the only solution:

propspeed.com

My boat comes out in two weeks and I'm going to try it but unfortunately it will be two years before I can reliably report back.

I got to test out "prop speed" on my haul out in Tauranga in 06. It did a pretty good job for 2 years in between haul outs. Most of the time spent was passage making between New Zealand, Fiji, Vanuatu and Australia. Since we were not sitting in any one place for long it seemed to work well. I was given the "prop speed" on a "mates rates" deal. I would not pay for it now. I'm in the water enough to take care of any fouling on a regular basis. If my boat was to sit for some time, I think a coat of bottom paint would be ok.

dvuyxx 06-15-2013 11:35 PM

Prop Speed is really expensive, albeit the best out there.

lancelot9898 06-16-2013 12:51 AM

For over a decade now, I've been using an underwater metal primer on my max prop. I can go 2 or 3 years between haul outs and just few barnnicles on the prop after that time. It takes careful prep of the prop following instructions for application of the metal primer. After that application a good hard bottom paint(like Tridad) get applied,but go with 2 thin coats. Keep the primer coats thin also to avoid a heavy a built up which can promote losing the coatings with use. FWIW

Alex W 06-16-2013 12:54 AM

It seems like you sail a whole lot. My guess is that you won't have any issues with growth on your prop if you are using the boat many times per month.

I have no real experience to back this up, I've only had an inboard boat for 9 months. The original prop had no paint though, and the previous owner (who kept the boat in Bellingham) didn't use it for months at a time. It had no growth on it when we did the survey haul out.