Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint on prop

I've read about a hundred different threads, opinions and posts about what to use for antifouling on a prop. Is just whacking a thin coat of bottom paint on the prop (and shaft?) going to work? It's not like I have some high revving cigarette boat. It was easy with an outboard, just pull it out the water after using.
PSW (or PNW for you Americans) area, fixed prop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Re: Bottom paint on prop

It will work for a time. But not for a long time.
Old 06-15-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Over the years I have tried many things and up until now nothing has worked to my satisfaction. Having said that, I have been sort of experimenting with the duration of the bottom paint and have recently extended the time between haul-outs to 30 months and I have found that the biggest impediment to this is the prop and shaft which look like a mussel farm after 24 months.

Normal anti foul will last a few months, International Trilux maybe a little longer but any ablative paint will wash off quite quickly. It's not about boat speed, it's about prop blade tip speed.

I am reliably informed by friends and colleagues that this stuff is the only solution:

propspeed.com

My boat comes out in two weeks and I'm going to try it but unfortunately it will be two years before I can reliably report back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-15-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Read post 11 in this thread.

Using Bottom Paint on Brass Propeller
Old 06-15-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Not ideal
I've also heard about using zinc paint, either in expensive marine formulations, or identical hardware store varieties. That sounds like it should work without the propeller eating.

Old 06-15-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

For a bronze prop, use Petit Zinc Barrier spray. It's not expensive. Just prep the prop properly (nice alliteration) bringing it down to bare clean metal and then wiping it down with MEK or acetone. Spray only two or three thin coats 20 minutes apart. It has worked well for me with very light growth over the course of a season.
Old 06-15-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Over the years I have tried many things and up until now nothing has worked to my satisfaction. Having said that, I have been sort of experimenting with the duration of the bottom paint and have recently extended the time between haul-outs to 30 months and I have found that the biggest impediment to this is the prop and shaft which look like a mussel farm after 24 months.

Normal anti foul will last a few months, International Trilux maybe a little longer but any ablative paint will wash off quite quickly. It's not about boat speed, it's about prop blade tip speed.

I am reliably informed by friends and colleagues that this stuff is the only solution:

propspeed.com

My boat comes out in two weeks and I'm going to try it but unfortunately it will be two years before I can reliably report back.
I got to test out "prop speed" on my haul out in Tauranga in 06. It did a pretty good job for 2 years in between haul outs. Most of the time spent was passage making between New Zealand, Fiji, Vanuatu and Australia. Since we were not sitting in any one place for long it seemed to work well. I was given the "prop speed" on a "mates rates" deal. I would not pay for it now. I'm in the water enough to take care of any fouling on a regular basis. If my boat was to sit for some time, I think a coat of bottom paint would be ok.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-15-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Prop Speed is really expensive, albeit the best out there.
aeventyr60 likes this.
Old 06-16-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

For over a decade now, I've been using an underwater metal primer on my max prop. I can go 2 or 3 years between haul outs and just few barnnicles on the prop after that time. It takes careful prep of the prop following instructions for application of the metal primer. After that application a good hard bottom paint(like Tridad) get applied,but go with 2 thin coats. Keep the primer coats thin also to avoid a heavy a built up which can promote losing the coatings with use. FWIW
Old 06-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

It seems like you sail a whole lot. My guess is that you won't have any issues with growth on your prop if you are using the boat many times per month.

I have no real experience to back this up, I've only had an inboard boat for 9 months. The original prop had no paint though, and the previous owner (who kept the boat in Bellingham) didn't use it for months at a time. It had no growth on it when we did the survey haul out.