Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road
P26 combination mast/deck light

Hello again, everyone....

Thanks for you help in the past w/ my new-to-me Pearson 26. She's floating now, but the mast is down while I replace the support beam and compression post. Things are progressing....

While the mast is down, I attacked the wiring; the lights didn't work. The trouble was the wiring.. the usual combination of bad splice connectors and corroded wires. The lights themselves work, as do the switches on my panel and the wiring from the switches to the base of the mast. I pulled the light, which at first appeared to be a combination bow(steaming?) light and deck light attached to the front of the mast at spreader height. It's really just a cobbed together combination of a single deck light with what looks like a standard automotive dome or license plate bulb, and a white regular bulb in a baffled housing on top that I guess is used when under power.. yes? The downward-facing bulb is activated by the switch labeled "Spreader Light" on the panel, and the other light is activated by the "bow light" switch. I've attached two pictures of the assembly; one is as it appeared on the mast, and the other is disassembled.

Question.. I'd like to replace it with something; the lenses are all fogged, neither are very bright, and I'd also like to conserve battery usage. Is there something I could mount in the same spot that's LED-based? I looked around and haven't seen anything similar. Also, there's no light at all on the masthead, although there is a small block that the PO might have used to hoist a portable light of some kind. It may have been for a topping lift.. I don't know. There's a LOT I don't know... . I've attached a shot of the masthead, too, in case that's of any use.

Ideas/suggestions/advice? The $450 LED lights I've seen are way out of my range.. just sayin'....

Thank you!

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
P26 combination mast/deck light-comb-mast-light-comp.jpg   P26 combination mast/deck light-comb-mast-light-deconst-comp.jpg   P26 combination mast/deck light-masthead-full-comp.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: P26 combination mast/deck light

There are several combination steaming/deck light fixtures available at reasonable prices. There is no good reason to spend lots of money on an led steaming light as it is only on when the engine is running. You can replace the bulb for the deck light with an led if you wish but it is usually only on for brief periods.

The light below sells for 30 dollars or so.
Attached Thumbnails
P26 combination mast/deck light-bi_aa00100.jpg  
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 06-15-2013

kgs113 is on a distinguished road

I've read some reviews on the forespar lights and they weren't very favorable. I just mounted one of these but I haven't been to my boat yet in the dark to see how well they perform. They appear well made though. Available in black and white.

Hella 8505 Series Floodlight And Masthead Combo Lamp
Old 06-16-2013

Thank you for the replies. Between the ForeSpar, the AAA, the Aqua Signal, and the Hella I found with your help, it seems as if the Hella is the only one getting pretty much universally good reviews. Folks have mentioned the poor attachment of the upper cover on the ForeSpar and the lack of weather protections on the AquaSignal and AAA, so I've ordered a Hella.

I realize that none are LED lights as they come from the factory, and I understand and appreciate the comment re/ the fact that the bow/steaming light will only be used when the engine's running anyway. My P26 has an outboard 8hp Johnson that I'm in the process of renovating and I don't know for sure that the charging circuit works on it, so I want to be prepared. A $15 LED bulb is a lot cheaper than the replacement parts necessary to get the charging circuit to work. Eventually, of course, I'll get EVERYTHING working as it should. Right now, I just want to get out and learn to sail.

Thanks again!

Barry
Old 06-17-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I just installed this Hella Marine brand combo light on my P26. The deck light is very bright. I think it is a 20 watt halogen bulb...hot and power hungry, but BRIGHT!
Old 06-17-2013

Yep, that's the one! Hella 8505. The following is a link to a 3W LED bulb that fits the deck light portion, and is purported to be just as bright or brighter than the original bulb... w/out the appetite for power of which you spoke,

MR16 LED Bulb
3W Power LED
Linx

I might go for it... not sure yet.

Barry
Old 06-17-2013

It was easy to install...drill and pop rivets.
Old 06-17-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
Yep, that's the one! Hella 8505. The following is a link to a 3W LED bulb that fits the deck light portion, and is purported to be just as bright or brighter than the original bulb... w/out the appetite for power of which you spoke,

MR16 LED Bulb
3W Power LED
Linx

I might go for it... not sure yet.

Barry
It seems that the deck light bulb is exposed, without a lens to protect it. Can a LED light being what it is, be that exposed?
Old 06-18-2013

I just received the light via UPS. It's very well built; the downward-facing deck light has a plastic frame around it that seems like it would protect the bulb well. I was surprised, however, by the included wiring. The 20W halogen deck bulb has wires that can be crimped onto existing mast wiring, but the mast/steaming light has no leads at all... just a small rubber grommet. There are tabs for soldering on or attaching female spade terminals inside the fixture, but come on.. really?!? Is that the way they all ship, or did I get one that snuck by quality control?

Barry
Old 06-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
I just received the light via UPS. It's very well built; the downward-facing deck light has a plastic frame around it that seems like it would protect the bulb well. I was surprised, however, by the included wiring. The 20W halogen deck bulb has wires that can be crimped onto existing mast wiring, but the mast/steaming light has no leads at all... just a small rubber grommet. There are tabs for soldering on or attaching female spade terminals inside the fixture, but come on.. really?!? Is that the way they all ship, or did I get one that snuck by quality control?

Barry
Barry,
Yes I forgot that part...I had to make up the connections on mine too. I used spade terminals instead of soldering. Works fine but like you said.... Come on...really? They should complete the damn thing for us!