Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: What tools do you bring in your sailboats?

On a club owned boat just being daysailed, a couple screwdrivers, an adjustable wrench, and a pair of pliers would be enough to handle most emergencies. For a short cruise, think about adding one of those tool kits with wrenches, sockets, etc. I have one on my boat from Sears that was pretty inexpensive and handles just about any routine job.
bljones likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

If you OWN a boat, you will (should, have to) end up creating the "tool set" you need for your boat.

A club boat is a completely different matter, and makes it hard for you to plan ahead. Perhaps you can get the CLUB to provide a basic set of tools, if you can get the lawyers to stop arguing about "responsibility" and all the other BS they come up with: "Can't let out tools on our club boats, some skipper might hurt himself trying to fix something!" You get it, right?

In addition, consider that SPARE PARTS are part of any good tool kit. Cotter pins and rings, bolts, shackles, etc. I was leaving our anchorage the other day and was called over by two guys in a Mariner 32 ketch. The single small bolt that kept their transmission and shaft couplings together had sheared and they couldn't move the boat! I side tied to them, and pulled out my old toolbox with all sorts of spare parts, they found one that worked and were back in business.

Most every good sailing book has a list of tools and spare parts recommended by "those who come before." I'm sure that online resources, like Beth Leonard and Evans Starzinger's website would also have a list.

But, it ain't your boat.

As a club member, you might want to address this issue and participate in a committee to rectify this shortcoming. It's dangerous to sail without tools. It IS a SAFETY issue for club members.

And a 25 foot boat doesn't need the bunch of tools I've got on my inboard diesel engine powered boat. I had a lot less tools on our Catalina 25 and we owned it for 13 years.

Good luck with the lawyers.
Old 06-17-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I have way more tools onboard than what I expect to live there long term. When you are catching up on projects and installing new stuff it is handy to have a lot of things that you may not need long term. Some of the bigger items that I've been keeping on board are a shop vac (just removed and replaced with a smaller vac), a cordless drill and dremel, full socket set, extensive electrical kit (including spools of wire), and perhaps 10lbs of spare bolts/nuts/cotter pins/etc.

The most basic set of tools that I would consider would have:
* multi-bit ratchet screwdriver
* two adjustable wrenches (you need 2 to adjust turnbuckles)
* mini-socket set with at least a 7/16" bit (correct size for the nuts on 1/4-20 bolts, which are used by most through deck hardware) and 3/8" bit (for #10 bolts)
* leatherman-type tool for it's pliers, knife, and wire cutters
* small hammer
* small hacksaw (to cut rigging)

Spare cotter rings, pins, electrical tape, and a small variety of screws, bolts and nuts. Hose clamps for 3/4" and 1-1/2" sizes (2 each).

That could all be put into a small tool wrap and weigh a couple of pounds and cost under $200. That's about the scope of the tool set that I brought with me when bringing my new (to me) boat home from it's old marina to the new one.
Old 06-17-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
But, it ain't your boat.
I agree it is their boat, but they won't be there when the SHTF to fix it.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I am a mechanic, and if I bring all of my tools I will sink the boat, but I have a small canvas tool bag that goes everywhere I go. It contains a 1/4 in ratchet set, a 3/8 in set, and a 1/2 in set, sizes from tiny to 1 7/8" and a full set of box end open end wrenches in the same sizes. I also have four pipe wrenches, two smaller 12 in and two 18 in, also two adjustable wrenches, a set of screwdrivers and nut drivers, also contains some star and allen heads. A set of good allen wrenches. A couple of files, a rasp, and some razor type scrapers, and two box cutter type knives. Pliers in the various types, for cutting wires and gripping, plus a small set of six various sizes of vice grip pliers. A volt/ohm meter, a manual oil pressure gauge on a flexible hose with a fitting to thread it into the sending unit spot. Oh and maybe one or two other favorites and a soldering iron, an 18 volt cordless set with drill, saw, sawzall, and such in a plastic case. And that about covers it, it weighs in at around 125 pounds total including the cordless tool set. If I am going on an extended cruise I will also take along a small gas chainsaw, you just never know when a chainsaw will come in handy... If I do things the way I want to do them I will have to make a few mods to my next boat, I have to have a few more tools if I am going to live aboard and be gone a long time. So I guess it very much depends on your mechanical skills, because I could hand you all of my tools and if you cannot troubleshoot the problems you will still need to call someone. Take things you know how to use and are comfortable with, and feel you should have, like the previous post said you will still have everything but what you need LOL
Old 06-17-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

That's my toolbox.

It fits in the lazarette but in general has everything that I may need for tinkering and to keep things running: I keep no other spares anywhere else and only need to take the house tools with me when I install new things.

It's three single boxes that clip together.

The top has my general tools:

Pliers, bolt cutter to cut through rigging in an emergency (hopefully will never happen), a hacksaw, a set of ratchet spanners, a compact ratchet screwdriver with a selection of bits in its handle, a longer slotted screwdriver, measuring tape, bit holder, 2 component adhesive, Lock'n seal, pencil, spare strainer for my manual bilge pump, hose connectors, different tapes (duct, vinyl etc), a facemask, vinyl gloves. There is also my set of tools that came with my outboard.

The next box contains:

A small vice (a super pair of extra hands basically), bits of string, my collection of stainless screws, bolts, nuts and washers, shackles and hoseclips and a spare zinc for the outboard.

The third box contains mainly electrics related stuff:

Insulation tape, self amalgamating tape, connector blocks, choc boxes, phase tester, fuses, spare bulbs, a small multimeter, crimps and a crimping tool, marine wire, spare 12V car plug and marine plug/socket, cable glands, cable ties, a small propane fuelled soldering iron and a can of propane, solder, cable glands.
bljones likes this.
Old 06-17-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i BRING nothing t my boat unless i just bought it...i HAVE on my boat the tools needed to repair it, electricity, wood, engine, whatever---it is my home and all tools i need are here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-17-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

The handiest tool on my boat is a engine driven 100 amp alternator, rigged for welding and running my power tools. I have welded up everything from anchor winches to wood stoves with it. Cost me $25 in an auto wreckers.
Old 06-17-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Whatever you have on your boat in the way of tools, don't get expensive gear - it will last as long as the cheap and nasties that are available from places like Home Depot.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-18-2013

Net0man is on a distinguished road

Good morning. Thanks for the great posts! My tool list got long after reading the suggestions. I will need to review the list and decide which tool to bring. A box of spares is a great idea! Because I sail club boats, I would bring a 12" toolbox for a day trips or a 15" toolbox for multi days trips. Again, thanks for the great feedbacks.

More advices are welcome here.