Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013

Net0man is on a distinguished road
What tools do you bring in your sailboats?

What tools do you bring in your sailboats? The reason I asked is because my wife and I had a boat trouble yesterday and I wished I brought my toolbox to fix it. Let me introduce myself then I will explain what happened at the Chesapeake Bay.

Last October, my wife and I completed the ASA 101 class and passed the exam to earn our certification. We joined a sailing club last May to start our sailing experience. Our club has two 25' sailboats; Hunter and Catalina. Our "home" dock is Deale, MD. So far, we have sailed four times and we look forward to go out in the bay again in the near future. We are planning a three days sailing trip on July 4, 5, & 6. Before we go out on the trip, we need to plan better especially with a toolbox.

What happened yesterday was we sailed the Hunter to Galesville and the trouble occurred when we entered the West River. The boat's mainsheet's pulley got disconnected from the traveler. We lost a control of the boom and we had to lower the mainsail. The pulleys piece cracked open and could not hold on anymore. If I have had a plier, I would try to squeeze the piece to close the gap so we could continue sail with the mainsail. Unfortunately, I had no tools and we used the jib sail and motor on way back to Deale, MD. Our club's boats do not come with tools.

Back to the question here is what tools do you bring in your sailboats? I am open to suggestions. I would start with the following tools for the future sails.

1. Screwdrivers - slot and philip
2. Adjustable Wrench
3. Pliers
4. Allen wrenches ?
5. WD40 ?
6. Hammer?
7. Long nose wrench ?
8. Groove Joint ProPliers ?

I'd appreciate any advice on selecting right tools that are commonly used on sailboats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2013

paulatcrag is on a distinguished road
Box end wrenches
Electrical multi meter
Socket set just to add a few
Also electrical tape and good old bailing wire can also be handy
Old 06-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: What tools do you bring in your sailboats?

I think there is a big difference between a club boat and a personal boat, and even between racers and cruisers. On a club boat, I'd be inclined to bring only a bare minimum set of tools. I'd add open-ended wrenches and a socket set to your list.
DRFerron likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I stow:
70 pc socket set in it's formed plastic hard case- includes metric and fractional, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2 drive, spanners, hex keys, screwdriver bits.
soft "mechanical" tool bag- contains various pliers, 3 different sizes of vice grips, an assortment of slot head, phillips head, robertson head screwdrivers, torque wrench (in case), feeler gauges, dead blow mallet, ball peen hammer, 5 lb. short handle sledge, small and medium pry bars, oil filter wrench, magnetic and claw 24" retrievers, another set of allen keys, wrist lanyards for all tools.
small hard case "electrical" tool kit- multi meter, wire cutter, wire stripper/crimper, electrical tape, heat shrink, butane torch, zipties, wire, terminals, connectors, miscellaneous stuff.
Power tool bag- B&D Matrix drill and accessory heads, and charger, tool roll containing jigsaw bits and drill bits.
Woodworking bag- a variety of chisels, from 1/4" - 1/5" in a tool roll, counter sink bits, forstner bits, plug cutters, flush cut saw, folding pull saw, small planes, level, square bevel gauge, wooden mallets, small hammers

It all stows in the locker under the quarter berth- maybe adds 30 lbs to boat load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2013
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road

A sewing kit (there's that whole 'stitch in time' thing) & Duct tape ( the bonding force of the universe) Spares including clamps, Belts.
Old 06-16-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

When on a boat other than my own, I always carry a Multi-tool ( like a leatherman) that has a pair of pliers among other tools, and I carry a separate knife. You could probably put a small tool kit together in a soft case that could cover many typical needs. An adjustable wrench, a small socket set etc.
bljones likes this.

Last edited by Tempest; 06-16-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We carry enough tools to do general maintenance of all sorts.. including non-major engine repairs like FWC pump change, or H/E removal for cleaning/checking if necessary. Combo wrench set, serious socket set (both metric and imperial) battery drill, all manner of pliers and other necessaries.. A good multimeter, and a wide selection of spares, leftovers, seizing wire, tapes of all sorts, wire/cable cutters and several lengths of dyneema for temporary (or permanent ) lashings.

Probably don't carry enough spare parts for everything, but we do have the tools to fix it once we locate a part if it comes to that.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
jim4sailing (07-18-2013)
Old 06-16-2013

mbetter is on a distinguished road

Every tool but the one I need.
Faster, fryewe, sailak and 3 others like this.
Old 06-17-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Depends on the boat.

I think its best to go through the boat system by system and work out how you are going to fix whatever breaks. What tools you need depends on what it is you are going to need to fix, some motors need one set of tools, some need another set, for example, it all depends on your boat and your specific systems. Make sure you have instructions, spares, and tools, if you want to be prepared and do it right, and some practice working through those instructions is a good idea too. Try to imagine in advance all the bad stuff that could happen, and figure out what you are going to do about it when it does happen.

Please support my
Old 06-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
Every tool but the one I need.
That is the way it goes, isn't it??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.