Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2013

BigLew18 is on a distinguished road
A/C circulation pump problem

I recently purchased an older sailboat that has a Cruiseair split-air air conditioning system. When the circuit for the system is turned on, the SMX control panel comes on and the fan begins to blow, but no cooling water was passing through the system.

The prior owner was lacking in some maintenance issues, and as I began to trace through the plumbing system, I found the raw water strainer full of muck, so it probably starved the pump. Now I am working through the electrical system as the March circulation pump will not turn on. I removed it, flushed all tme muck out of it, and tested it out of the boat by wiring it to an outlet plug, and confirmed that the pump works. I have re-wired the circuit to the pump per manufacturer's instructions; however, the pump does not engage. The wiring diagram on the inside of the compressor cover indicates that theis model is FX7-16. I have scoured the Dometic website for troubleshooting problems without success. It appears there is a run capacitor, a start capacitor, and a start relay wired into the circuit, and my suspicion would be that the strain from the blocked circultion caused a failure in one of these items. Bt I am a novice to this and cannot confirm.

Any suggestions regarding what needs to be addressed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2013

Letrappes is on a distinguished road
I had a problem with this at the beginning of last summer. I woke up one morning to the faint smell of burned plastic and the AC wasn't working. Like you I could get the pump working when I powered it outside the system but the system wouldn't start it.

I took apart the electrical panel inside the system and found a burn mark on the board. Looking in the manual I found out it was the on board jumper line between the power and the pump with power terminals on either side of the jumper. I was was able to put a wire between the two terminals to relay power. The system has run fine for over a year now. Check yours out for this problem. I'm wondering if it's a manufacturing defect.
Old 06-17-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: A/C circulation pump problem

When the fan begins to blow, does the compressor start? There may be a high pressure switch for the compressor that needs reset. Just a thought.
Old 06-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

BigLew, until you do find the right connection for the pump.. which should be when ever the system is on OR the compressor is running. You can, just wire it to run all the time, not a bad thing. Since the strainer was a mess.. plan on cleaning the HeatEx too. White vinegar is a good choice from caustic chemicals.

PS you may want to look for a "relay" for the pump. but I don't think you would go terribly wrong with it running continuous

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

If you can post a pic of the wiring diagram that you have we can probably be of more help, but without knowing what operating and safety controls are in the system we are just throwing ideas out there.

Start and run capacitors don't fail very often, but when they do, the motor will try to run, but will over heat and cut out on thermal protection built into the windings. I doubt the the capacitors are for the pump, they are more likely for the compressor.
Hull#101
Old 06-19-2013

Thank you for the quick response and I apologize for the slow response. I had to get out to the boat for the wiring diagram, which I have attached.

I have examined the electrical connections and do not see any scorch marks. I agree that it would probably not be the capacitors, so I am thinking now it may be the relay swith or the perhaps the high pressure switch as Seaduction suggests. However, I do not know how to reset the swith itself.

Thank you again for the input, and I will be exploring your suggestions further this weekend. But any additional input is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
A/C circulation pump problem-ac-wiring-diagram.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013

I wanted to reply and thank those who provided helpful input. The problem was in fact in the relay switch. A simple replacement, and then the compressor and circulation pump kicked on.

Thank you again for the help.
Old 07-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew18 View Post
I wanted to reply and thank those who provided helpful input. The problem was in fact in the relay switch. A simple replacement, and then the compressor and circulation pump kicked on.

Thank you again for the help.
Lew-

If your sea water strainer was a blocked and foul as you describe, you'll do you A/C a world of good by disconnecting the raw water lines and back washing the heat exchanger coil with fresh water. If it is an older unit, you might also want to recirculate something like a solution of RydLyme or Barnacle Buster through it for a few hours to remove the scale/crap that builds up in the coils. It will make a real difference in the performance of your unit.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-26-2013

svHyLyte,

Great advice. Thank you