SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   New deck stepped mast for Trintella 42 /USA (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100544-new-deck-stepped-mast-trintella-42-usa.html)

yawlcat 06-18-2013 11:39 AM

New deck stepped mast for Trintella 42 /USA

The new mast is ready to be shipped but I am delaying delivery(and final payment) as I am not happy with the rigger telling me that I need to move the mast 6" further forward to align the shrouds with the center of the mast (twin spreaders)Not only was the old mast in the same position for 20 odd years,it would place the mast support right up against the forward bulkhead and the plate on the top through the bulhead into the forward cabin?? Then I was advised to have swept back spreaders and finally everything is OK as is. There are 3 chainplates on both sides in the original position, now I am hesitant and would worry on passage that the stick might fall down,heaven forbid!
Any comments would be appreciated:)
Yawlcat

mitiempo 06-19-2013 12:36 AM

Re: New deck stepped mast for Trintella 42 /USA

We need more information. Why a new mast? Why farther forward if it is just a replacement or is it a rig re-design, by a qualified designer I hope?

olson34 06-19-2013 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kind of difficult to believe that E. G. van de Stadt made an error in the rig design; after all these years I wonder who would be qualified to say that he was wrong. (?)

BTW, Nice looking yacht!

yawlcat 06-19-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 1045958)
We need more information. Why a new mast? Why farther forward if it is just a replacement or is it a rig re-design, by a qualified designer I hope?

Bought the boat without a mast which the previous owner trashed.The rigger insisted that the cap shroud should be in line with one of the chainplates of which there are 3 either side hence he insited I move the chain plate or move the mast! Neither of which seems a good option. I apparently could have running backstays but thats something I do not want as I will be sailing solo.
This is a new Selden mast and although I got assurances from Selden that everything is OK, because of the previously raised issues wanted to get opinions from the great sailing fraternity. I would hate it falling overboard in the middle of the Atlantic!!
yawlcat :)

yawlcat 06-19-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olson34 (Post 1045973)
Kind of difficult to believe that E. G. van de Stadt made an error in the rig design; after all these years I wonder who would be qualified to say that he was wrong. (?)

BTW, Nice looking yacht!

No, the mast lived for 20 odd years in the boat so was obviously correct, please see previous explanation as to my concerns.
Nice but very costly !!:)
yawlcat

overbored 06-19-2013 02:14 PM

the cap shrouds or uppers should line up with the center of the mast more or less. on more modern rigs the caps are set way back and they use swept back spreader. the position of the chain plates and mast base on your boat will be almost inline and uses straight spreaders. the straightness or sweep of the spreaders does depend on the rake of the mast. you will have a back stay on that rig. seems like you might want to consult another rigger if does not understand how your boat was rigged.

overbored 06-19-2013 02:21 PM

check out this video as he turns around 360 degrees and you can see the spreaders and the alignment of the shrouds
that is good looking boat

deniseO30 06-19-2013 02:23 PM

Seems to me, moving foward would actually give you more tension from shrouds and less on the back stay but what do I know. :) How did this "order" get this far before you found out the rigger wants to move it fwd?

SHNOOL 06-19-2013 02:42 PM

...PAGING BOB PERRY...

Wow, very sleek boat.

olson34 06-19-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHNOOL (Post 1046262)
...PAGING BOB PERRY...

"To any white lobby phone"
:rolleyes: