Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Marine LCD TV

Faster, while I agree with you to a point, I'm ultimately with Kelly. TV on the boat would be something when the other things you've listed aren't really an option. My current plan, if we get everything fixed, is for about an hour out to the "swimmin' hole" and then an hour back. I don't really expect there to be a lot of TV-watching time during most of that. But I'd hate to get everyone packed up and ready, then arrive to find a line of showers coming through and be stuck there at the dock. The TV (or a DVD player attached to the TV) might also help serve as a distraction if bad weather moves through while we're out.

Every family is different, and I certainly don't mean my comments as a critique; as you said, JMO. I can, however, see it buying me more time aboard, and that would be a good thing.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I almost never watch actual TV, just the occasional movie, but I don't mind watching the Sun morning shows in a quiet anchorage with a cup of coffee before we head back.

My daughter will be bringing her new boyfriend in a couple of weeks. He will be obligatorily required to watch Capt Ron. My kids laugh and roll their eyes and say, not that again! I bet the little suck up tells me he likes it.

On the inverter issue, I agree that the new TVs draw so little that it is an easy way to power any TV. However, some inverter setups and switching are slightly complicated. Our requires you to turn on the Main 110v breaker, the specific outlet breaker and press the invert button on the panel. Then you must be sure you press the invert button again to shut it off and see that the 110v meter drops to zero, before you flips the breakers. Otherwise, you don't really know you shut it off. If you intend to fall asleep yourself, while others are finishing a show, it could be left on all night. That would not be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2013

delite is on a distinguished road

As the kids are teens I'm worried a TV will lead to a game console, for mine any way. All the more likely with no digital tv receiver. We bring the laptop and play a movie at night in the cockpit and recharge the laptop while under power. Reminds me of the drive-in movies, only better.
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 06-18-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Marine LCD TV

How about a couple of first gen iPads? They're far more versatile than a TV. In addition to watching tv and movies, can read books and magazines, surf the web, do navigation (cellular version, but don't need a cell plan), email, etc.

We don't have a TV, but watch movies on our 3G ipad, plus all of the above. We don't even bring the laptop anymore. Of course I'm typing this on an ipad.....
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We keep a small collection of board games and dice/card games aboard.

The kids love Fact or Crap. Its a trivia board game, which just devolves into the kids being able to say Crap, alot. Some of the questions become funny that they are either Fact or that anyone might believe those that are Crap could be Fact. Time consuming fun.

I've taught them all to play cribbage, which they don't love, but they like knowing how to play, since so few do.

We've recently distracted ourselves with 9 number Shut the Box, which I was exposed to in the BVI this winter. Have one aboard and its popular with all ages.

No power required.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2013

Morild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I can only offer this advice. I prefer a TV that has the standard four hole flush mount directly on the back of the TV, so that it can be mounted flush to a bulkhead. YMMV
This is just the best
Any TV should be selected from it's ability to be flush mounted to a bulkhead
Old 06-18-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

+1 on four hole flush mount.
Would note need to physically see the TV you are thinking of buying. To flush mount input and all connections should be on the side of the TV. Makes life a lot easier. Same model ( for same money) may come with connections on back or side. Open the box before you leave the store. Also realize most TVs are still drawing current when turned off at the TV or through a cable box. Worthwhile to have separate circuit breaker for just the TV to make sure it's really off and you have juice for important stuff like the Autopilot. In process of doing this on new boat. When not watching TV shows or movies will have TV serve as a monitor with input from laptop/smartphone or raymarine. Probably will have it scroll through snaps and art work so not looking at a black screen if have power to spare.
Old 06-18-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Jim, I went through this two years ago when our old Samsung committed suicide during a storm.

I wanted a 12v TV with a DVD built in so there wouldn't be the additional complexity of an inverter and external DVD player.

I figured a 20" would fit nicely above our table when it was folded up. That meant a mounting bracket that would tilt slightly downward. 720p would be fine. At that size it's difficult to see the difference between 720 and 1080.

I looked at every brand of TV in the retail stores. Most have voltages printed on the label of the "brick". Every one was 19v. There may have been 12v models at one time but they don't seem to exist now.

TV prices at marine retailers are outrageous even allowing for the 100% markup required to cover the cost of printing "marine" on the box.

I hit the truck stop in Bordentown (not too far from you). TVs sold to truckers have to stand up to a lot more vibration and abuse than they do on our boats. My TV is branded SuperSonic but it's identical to several other brands I found in other truck stops and camping stores. I mounted it with a store brand mount from Best Buy using stainless bolts, through bolted through the bulkhead with fender washers and nylock nuts so they won't come loose. Power is tapped from the bulkhead light and the coax is run up the wall in the head.

For an antenna forget about anything in the boat. On Forked River the only station you'll get with one of those is Telemundo.

Installing a dockside connection will bring in cable at the dock (the Marinco cable/phone jack is half the price of the cable only jack). Check with Dave, I'm almost positive Silver Cloud has Comcast.

To get programming away from the dock either get a mast mounted antenna/amplifier from Shakespeare (I'm installing one now) or up your data plan so you can stream via your phone or tablet to the TV. Silver Cloud's WiFi is spotty and not up to streaming.

And it's obligatory that you buy a Captain Ron DVD and that it's the first thing you watch when you install your new TV

So far she's held up well and the TV has a great picture. Hope all that helps.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 06-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMcGee For This Useful Post:
jimgo (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Jim McGee;

Glad ta hear the SuperSonic's a decent buy/holding up! I've been searching for a smaller, 15-16 incher for the cabin; but have only seen the "off" branded ones. I need it for a display for the smart phone. The ability to watch TV is only a small portion of the benefit. HAdda dockmate that hadda Naxa 19 inch that looked pretty good and it had lasted two years, so I suppose it's OK ta spend less

Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-18-2013

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Marine LCD TV

It's handy to get a tv with a built in DVD player. I find I'm using that feature more than regular tv