Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Marine LCD TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
My daughter will be bringing her new boyfriend in a couple of weeks. He will be obligatorily required to watch Capt Ron. My kids laugh and roll their eyes and say, not that again! I bet the little suck up tells me he likes it.
I think you left off "...because that's what I would have done".
Minnewaska likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Despite how it sounds from my post, we really don't watch a lot of TV. I'm not worried about getting OTA or cable at this point, but the ability for us all to comfortably watch TV would be nice.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
Any normal TV will do fine, as long as it is not exposed to direct water, you will be fine.
No need to overthink this.
Want to run it off 12 volt, just buy a cheap inverter, them small TV's don't draw much.
Have had the same ol' LCD TV from what is equal to Wallmart over there, for years, no trouble so far.
Totally agree.
I've had my boat for 3 years now. The PO mounted a no-name brand TV on board and installed an antennae on top of the mast. My boat is docked in a very rural area many miles from the nearest TV station. Depending on weather conditions, I get anywhere from 2 to 25 channels.
I also have a cheap inverter I picked up at Lowes if I ever want to watch TV away from the dock. As far as it being complicated to hook up, my tv is just inches away from a 12v plug. Just plug my inverter into that and the TV into the inverter and I'm good to go. Have only used it a couple of times in 3 years, but nice to know I have it if needed.

Last edited by chuck53; 06-19-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-19-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I agree with Faster....a boat is no place for a TV. Heck - I don't even have one at home. I think it's good to show the little ones that it is possible to live a happy life without being tethered to the TV......I keep the boat stocked with books, games, charts, and have a laptop that we can watch movies or play games on for those occasions when the weather turns snotty and everyone has to hang out down below.
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 06-19-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Guys, the OP is not asking for a lecture on the evils of having a TV. He's already made the decision to get one and is just asking for advice on putting one onboard.
Old 06-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I doubt it will be very long before DVDs are like 8-tracks. You can download, own or rent virtually any movie on a smart phone. All you need is a cable to the TV, which they all have. Save the money on the combo unit.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I do think it's ironic that many people are advocating "no TV" yet have a laptop, tablet, etc., that they use for exactly the purpose I've described.

Anyway...as always, I appreciate all of the feedback!
chuck53 and Minnesail like this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-19-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
I agree with Faster....a boat is no place for a TV. Heck - I don't even have one at home.
Andy, I'd say that puts you squarely in the minority.

I've had WiFi and a TV on the boat almost since we've had her. Whether this makes sense depends on how you use your boat. For us she's a second home where we spend our weekends almost half the year so we want the comforts of home.

As a consultant I sometimes work "off site" from my clients. The WiFi, laptop and printer allow me to work from the boat occasionally; and unfortunately when things are hot to check email and work from the boat on weekends. Now before someone chimes in and says how awful that is consider this, if I didn't have Internet access aboard I'd be stuck at home and couldn't get to the boat at all.

BTW, we're both serious readers. A Nook and a Samsung tablet make it a LOT easier to keep a small library on board. See technology isn't all bad

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-19-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I doubt it will be very long before DVDs are like 8-tracks. You can download, own or rent virtually any movie on a smart phone. All you need is a cable to the TV, which they all have. Save the money on the combo unit.
Couldn't agree more, the key is the streaming technologies are getting more stable. Now if the price of data plans would come down a little

That said the wife has amassed a library of DVD's. Some are whole seasons of TV shows that we can watch in half hour bites if the mood strikes.

Buying a TV with the DVD built in was only a small difference in price and it provides one more option. I've had weekends where streaming video kept dropping out for some reason. If that happens there's always Redbox.
chef2sail and Familycruisers like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-19-2013

kjretlaw is on a distinguished road

I've installed the Supersonic 12V 22" 1080 LED TV which uses less wattage than the LCD models. Also installed a Sony Blue Ray player 110V which I have a 50 watt inverter. For the antenna I use the HD flat antenna. When installing a swing mount crank the tension screws all the way down. You can still swing the TV to the center of the cabin but it's not going to move on it own.
It's been installed for six months; the picture is great and doesn't consume very much power.
I believe converters use and waste a lot of power if they're oversized, I'm sure there are others here whom are experts in that field, I'm not.