Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Marine LCD TV

OK, so things have gotten fairly quiet here recently, and I thought I'd toss out a grenade.

More seriously, I have started entertaining the thought of putting in an LCD TV in our cabin. It would be great for my kids when we're at the boat and the summer afternoon showers roll in, trapping them inside. We have a small (7") portable DVD player, but it's hard for two of them to share that little screen, and that got me wondering if anyone has installed an LCD TV on their boat, and if so, what brand? Has it held up well in the "harsh marine environment"? I'm not looking for something super-huge, but a 20-24" TV could improve the over-all experience quite a bit for my boys.

Before anyone asks, my kids are avid readers (even though they are only 7 and 5, they can both read well) and we will keep the cabin stocked with good reading material for them. We'll also have playing cards, etc. But at their ages, their attention span, even for something like reading and cards, can be fairly short and being trapped in a cabin even for an hour can feel like an eternity (including for us adults). Having a TV as an option could significantly improve things.

I know I can get LCD TV's for about $200 in the size range that I want, and that's not a bad investment, and it's almost "disposable" at that point, but I'd really hate to buy one only to learn two months from now that the 120 degree cabin in August is/was likely to cause the liquid in the LCD to expand enough to rupture, or that the corrosion from the humid salt air in the cabin was enough to eat away at some of the electronics in only a few weeks.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Billzona (06-19-2013)
Old 06-18-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Marine LCD TV

This is the TV we bought for our boat. It really helps with the grandkids and they only get to watch it as a reward. Works well, nothin wrong with bribery

Amazon.com: Samsung UN22D5003 22-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black) [2011 MODEL]: Electronics Amazon.com: Samsung UN22D5003 22-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black) [2011 MODEL]: Electronics

Easy mount bracket
Amazon.com: VideoSecu TV Wall Mount Articulating Arm Bracket for VESA 100 LCD LED Flat Panel Screen TV and Monitor ML10B 1E9: Electronics Amazon.com: VideoSecu TV Wall Mount Articulating Arm Bracket for VESA 100 LCD LED Flat Panel Screen TV and Monitor ML10B 1E9: Electronics

And add on this little wonder device, it has amazing reception: (and cheap)
Amazon.com: ClearStream Micron Indoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna: Electronics Amazon.com: ClearStream Micron Indoor Long-Range Digital TV Antenna: Electronics

chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-18-2013
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Marine LCD TV

+1 to kellysails.

We have the same setup in our boat. The only difference is we have a 22" Visio. Additionally, we have a feed located high in the anchor locker that we can hook direct to the pedestal in marinas that offer cable TV at the slip.

We've gone two seasons with the TV aboard without a problem.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Old 06-18-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If your kids are avid readers, why tempt them away from that? I'm pretty vehemently opposed to TV on a boat.. isn't the whole point to escape that 'world' along with it's gadgets and distractions? Beachcombing and swimming, boat handling, navigating, there's always something to do with a good book as a fall back.

Even when I try to read during the day I find myself distracted by the world around me.. a high-EQ anchoring exercise, a particularly nice boat entering the bay, a couple yelling at each other but in a way that only the rest of us can hear it all and best of all, the sound of a happy child on the beach...

Who has time for TV???

jmo, as ever.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-18-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

[/IMG]Faster

I was wondering how long it would take to get that response. Sometime Grandpa (me) and the 4 and 7 year old are just too tuckered out after a long day of fun. We do read to them but there are times they just want to chill. Not always a bad thing. Everything in moderation (except wine, women, and song) as I say.

[IMG]

Last edited by kellysails; 06-18-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

There are a number of 12 volt TVs sold to truckers and campers. You might want to check them out, but I've never heard of them. Finding a good antenna is a PIA. I took the TV off my boat because I could not get anything with the antenna I owned. Thought about hoisting it on the flag halyard a couple times, but never got that far.
Old 06-18-2013

Morild is on a distinguished road

Any normal TV will do fine, as long as it is not exposed to direct water, you will be fine.
No need to overthink this.
Want to run it off 12 volt, just buy a cheap inverter, them small TV's don't draw much.
Have had the same ol' LCD TV from what is equal to Wallmart over there, for years, no trouble so far.
Old 06-18-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road

I used my laptop with one of these jobbies:
Hauppauge Computer Works : WinTV-HVR-950Q Product Description

worked pretty good!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I can only offer this advice. I prefer a TV that has the standard four hole flush mount directly on the back of the TV, so that it can be mounted flush to a bulkhead. Some have attachments which have the four hole pattern and, therefore, stand off the wall. They get in the way and are less secure when underway, in my experience. View angles have improved dramatically, so adjusting angle should not be terribly necessary.

Many TVs are capable of running directly on 12v, but have the "brick" in the line that converts 110v AC to 12v DC. If you find one, you can connect it directly to your 12v system. However, this data is rarely published and you actually need to read the brick itself. Further, many seem to be moving toward 19v, which is more common for laptops, I'm told.

If you find a model that is both 12v and flush, please let me know. I hate our TV!

We only use our TV to show a movie from time to time, which is best done off an Ipad or Iphone having been downloaded and rented through iTunes. Streaming Netflix, etc, is a PITA. YMMV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

As noted, the issue is the antenna, especially while cruising.