Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-08-2004

Onaugh is on a distinguished road
replacing ports

I have to replace the plastic ports on my 1976 north american/spirit 23. The problem is they are unusually shaped and I am unable to find replacements. I am considering exterior mounted plexiglass. But I need to make new inside frames. Any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2004

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
replacing ports

What dimensions are they?

You might try getting something like a Beckson opening port that is just a bit larger and trimming the opening to fit...

These ones are 12x5"

Mike
Old 07-08-2004

replacing ports

The ports are not symetrical at all. The forward port starts at a sharp point and rises at about a 30 degree angle from the bottom to a heigth of 5 5/8" then slowly increases to a heigth of 6 3/8".The overall length is 33 3/4".The aft port starts at 6 3/4" and slowly increases to 7 1/4" the tapers up at about 45 degrees from the bottom to a point at the top edge. Overall length of this port is 36 1/2". These are nonopening ports.Thanks
Old 07-08-2004

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
replacing ports

Are they mounted in a trim or gasket? Or are they flush mounted and bedded into the cabin top in rabbits?

Mine were flush mounted and had to be removed by cutting the bond on the inside first with a 2" putty knife. It was an older installation and the bedding had gone hard. When the lens came out, the starboard was in two pieces and the port in three. It also made a mess of the outside of the cabin top when it came out.

The pieces were dropped off at Select Plastics in Norwalk Conn (Shameless plug for the guys who have done all the lenses in my Lewmar Ocean hatches) and they had new ones cut in a week out of smoked Acrylic.

They were re-bedded with Dow Corning 795 black construction adhesive. This is a slow set bedding and needed to be clamped for a week. The outside was re-faired with fiberglass filler and painted. Labor intensive to say the least, but mine came out OK.
Old 07-08-2004

replacing ports

The exterior frame,lens and sill are one piece and cannot be separated. The port mounts from the outside the cabin and is held in place with sealant. Then the inside mouldings screw into the sill created by the outside frame. Replacement is necessary because the frames have become brittle and cracked. The ports are already out and I plan on using them as a template for new plexiglass to mount to the exterior. The problem is there is no sill or interior moulding this way and the hole is jagged and rough.
Old 07-10-2004

joub is on a distinguished road
replacing ports

Your ports sound typical of many plastic ports installed by the OEM in fiberglass boats. One company I am familiar with here in Southern California, Mark Plastics, has the patterns for many boats manufactured in the 70''s and 80''s here in California.They make replacement ports for many boats. If you could give them a pattern of your boat''s ports, I believe they could probably come up with a suitable replacement.

It would be worth your time to contact them at (909) 735-7705. Ask for Mark Heacox, he is sailor, a nice guy, and very knowledgeable.

Jim
Old 07-10-2004

paulmcquillan is on a distinguished road
replacing ports

I agree on Mark Plasitics as a source. Reality is that for the best retro-fit, each one will be slightly different. Unless your factory''s yard crew was the one of the few that cut perfectly sized holes.

mark will walk you through how to measure each one. I got beautiful fit on each of the six he made for us.
Old 07-11-2004

replacing ports

Thanks, this is a great help. I will contact Mark on monday.The boat was manufactured in Texas. The hull by Glastron. I hope he can cross match it for me.
Old 07-11-2004

replacing ports

Thanks, this is a great help. I will contact Mark on monday.The boat was manufactured in Texas. The hull by Glastron. I hope he can cross match it for me.
Old 07-12-2004

HeartofGold is on a distinguished road
replacing ports

Let me second the recomendation of Mark Plastics. This past spring, I was referred to them about ports on my ''74 Ensenada 20. I reluctantly followed up with the suggestion and found out that, by pure chance, they were the original manufacturer of these ports, and still had the templates in stock. With no fuss, they were able to provide newly manufactured replacements (exactly like the originals!) for a reasonable price and were delivered in only 2 weeks. Great to work with, friendly and professional product.

Doug
s/v Heart of Gold