SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Anchor weight for 1650 Ib boat... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100587-anchor-weight-1650-ib-boat.html)

G20 06-19-2013 12:25 PM

Anchor weight for 1650 Ib boat...

I have a Gloucester 20 trailer sailor that displaces about 1650 Ibs and am looking to upgrade the ground tackle. I am looking at either an 11 pound Bruce anchor or a 16.5 pounder. The 11 would fit much better on my roller, and be cheaper, so I am wondering if it would be sufficient.

Most websites seem to rate anchors by boat length and the 11 pound bruce is "rated" up to a 22 foot vessel. My boat is a light one for sure but inside of that length constriction are a variety of boats. A Pacific Seacraft Flicka for instance displaces like 5700 pounds.

tschmidty 06-19-2013 01:47 PM

Re: Anchor weight for 1650 Ib boat...

I am sure many people will chime in with get the biggest anchor you can get, but in reality it also depends on what your anchoring needs are going to be. Lake, Coastal, Overnight, Lunchtime anchoring, Daysailing, Crusing, etc.

They are rated by length because a lot of the forces on your anchor are going to be wind and current and as such the weight of the boat is not as significant as length/windage/etc unless it is already moving.

If you think your anchoring needs are relatively light, then you can certainly get away with the 11lb anchor. If you think your needs are going to be more significant, I'd say you need a heavier anchor, not to mention I'd probably spring for a newer spoon type anchor (Rocna, Mantus, etc.).

G20 06-19-2013 03:13 PM

Most of my anchoring is going to be overnight in the Potomac River Va, and perhaps around the Chesapeake Bay area.

Point taken about windage etc and I will look out for the more modern anchors, though I understand they can be quite a bit more expensive. My boat cost me 1600 dollars so getting an anchor a quarter of the value is not in the cards. :D I was mostly looking at the galvanized lewmar bruce styled anchors for the most part.

Alex W 06-19-2013 03:40 PM

My Manson Supreme 25lb anchor was about $165 on sale. A Lewmar Bruce-style for this boat (33lbs) costs about $100-$130 (sale/retail).

For me the improved design and not having to haul up the extra 8lbs is well worth the extra $60 that I paid.

Claw anchors aren't as effective per pound, so the price comparison can end up being pretty similar. My examples are clearly for my bigger boat. For some reason it looks like both Rocna and Manson anchors don't get much under this price as they get smaller (my local supplier charges more for a Manson Supreme 15lb anchor than 25lb anchor), so you might not be as lucky.

tschmidty 06-19-2013 03:43 PM

Well if it helps I got a 13lb galvanized plow for $70 shipped I think that held really well for me in some pretty strong winds on my 23fter this past week so I think you'd be fine. And yeah I paid $100 for mine so I had the same considerations... I think you can find a 13lb mantus for about $125 which isn't a whole lot more but I think you'd be fine either way for your purposes.

TQA 06-19-2013 04:43 PM

Sounds like you will be anchoring in mud. A danforth type works well in mud and gives you the most bang for your buck. However they are bit of a pain to store.

A used one will be about $20 eg CLICKY

OH YES one of the things not said in the rain ,at 2.00 am ,when a 40knt squall hits is

" I think I need a smaller anchor and less chain. "

tschmidty 06-19-2013 04:56 PM

Since danforths fold flat I think they are easier to store but in any case he has a roller so that takes care of that. If danforths grab they can hold quite well but the problem is a) they can be hard to set, and related b) they don't reset well by themselves. Any type of hard bottom and they tend to just slide across. If you want less expensive, I'd go plow or bruce, best holding in lots of different conditions, go mantus/rocna. At least my .02c.

And yeah, I had to anchor in a marina which had bad protection from the wind with about 40 feet to spare all around me (if that) and I slept pretty horribly waking up every 10 minutes to make sure I wasn't dragging. For what it was worth I never did and had a little more faith in the anchor after that.

btrayfors 06-19-2013 05:20 PM

The Danforth-type anchors have been king in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries for over 50 years. They still are, IMHO.

I'd go for a Fortress anchor. Very light, very strong, and perfect for the lower Potomac area. The 4lb Fortress is rated for boats to 27' or so and can be had for under $100. But, I'd probably go for the 7lb Fortress which gives you a LOT of safety factor for anything you're likely to encounter.

Check out prices on eBay, e.g., Fortress Anchor FX7 | eBay

Bill

JimsCAL 06-19-2013 05:50 PM

Danforth type anchors seem to get a bad rap around here, but in mud bottoms like Chesapeake Bay and Long Island Sound, they work well. Main problem is they do not reset reliably in a windshift. I cruised for 30 years on Long Island Sound with just a pair of Danforths and had few problems. My current second anchor is a Fortress and I like it.

G20 06-20-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 1046360)
Sounds like you will be anchoring in mud. A danforth type works well in mud and gives you the most bang for your buck. However they are bit of a pain to store.

A used one will be about $20 eg CLICKY

OH YES one of the things not said in the rain ,at 2.00 am ,when a 40knt squall hits is

" I think I need a smaller anchor and less chain. "

Bigger is always better, never heard otherwise from folks about anchoring. I think I'll pony up and get the larger size.