Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tim R.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013

Skagit is on a distinguished road
Project Phasing Help Needed

Hi all-

I'd appreciate some help clarifying the phasing of my projects on the new boat. It's all spinning around in a cloud of dollar signs and calendar pages at the moment.

I have a number of pretty typical projects. These include rebedding deck hardware (including toe rails), replacing some core on the deck and cockpit sole, and deck paint to pretty it all up. I was hoping to start small, do these a little at a time, and enjoy the project.

Unfortunately my project management OCD has kind of kicked in. As I look at the critical path on this project I'm kind of panicking.

If I'm going to do paint, I should probably take off ALL the deck hardware...heck, I was going to rebed anyway, right? Obviously, core repair comes before paint too. So in my mind my "take it slow, lots of little achievable steps" project has now mushroomed into a full blown Lackey Sailing type of job with every removable part of the boat in boxes, holes in the deck, weeks or months of grinding...not quite what I was ready for.

Is there any way to phase this project, and ensure a quality end result, without doing things twice or going for the full-on deconstruct?

Thanks for the read...

--Skagit out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Project Phasing Help Needed

I painted my deck a couple of years ago. If you want to do it right, you will need to remove all the deck hardware. This is a pretty big job (between removing hardware and sanding). You might be able to do the core repair in a separate project. If you are not going for a perfect look (like you actually want to sail more than you want to repair), you could consider painting around some of the hardware. Then you could rebed what really needs it now, and paint later.
Old 06-19-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

It depends on short term and long term objectives.

The best looking boat may sail just as well as the boat that looks not so attractive.

If you want the best looking boat and do all the work right the first time then don't read any further in my post.

An alternate approach is to do just what is needed to stay afloat, safe and keep the rig up to go sailing now, then work on major projects at the next haul-out.

Survey all hull openings; prop shaft, through hulls, cockpit drains and replace, repair or service as needed.

Remove loose anti fouling paint on the hull and check for damage that must be repaired now. Repair as needed and paint a few coats of anti-fouling. At the next haulout remove all paint to gel-coat, repair, fair, barrier coat as needed.

Top sides and deck; do a good cleaning and check for leaking fixtures, rub-rail and port lights, fix leaks as needed. Hold off on how far you want to go with a perfect topside and deck finish until the next haul-out.

Check rig now and make repairs as needed, but hold off on major component replacement until you have at least one season with the boat and a better feel for how well the current rig performs.

Check the sails and running rigging; replace the running rigging if needed but only replace one mainsail and one heads sail if needed. After one sailing season you will have a better feel for additional sails or roller furler.

Check the motor and service and repair as needed. Hold off on replacement of the motor or major components until the next haul out.

Go sailing and dream about the work that makes a better boat, or do the work and dream about sailing. Your choice.
Old 06-19-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

You can certainly take your time with deck repairs and hardware re-fitting and still enjoy sailing the boat. Do a couple at a time and re-fit. Use butyl to bed the HW. Once all has been completed, remove everything and do your paint work in the off season.

Sure, it involves some duplication of effort but at least you get to sail while doing it.

One of our rules is to do something on the boat every time we take it out for the weekend.

Remember, the definition of cruising is working on your boat in exotic places.
Skagit likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-19-2013

Sage advice Ulladh and Tim. Thanks for your input.

There seems to be a natural project break at safe, watertight, and comfortable...rotten decks and cosmetics can come after that.

After pumping out 2 or 3 gallons of rain water after our last rainy stretch, I've decided to not launch the boat this year. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew and wind up with a pile of decidedly un-sailable parts at this time NEXT year. A beautiful Montana summer on the hard was not exactly in the plans...two would be too much.

Last edited by Skagit; 06-19-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Use butyl to bed the HW.
Tim-

Yes, I've learned that. Have three rolls on the way from Maine Sail.

If you remove a fitting that uses butyl, can you reuse it or do you have to retape it?

Last edited by Skagit; 06-19-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I clean off butyl and retape it. The material is not expensive and it cleans up pretty easily.

In my experience it will bond about equally well to the fiberglass and the stainless hardware, so you end up with half on each. If it wasn't relined up exactly on reinstallation then you'd get voids.

Is the deck paint necessary? To me that seems like a last resort type of work, you'll be staying on top of that for a long time to come.
Old 06-19-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Tim R: "Remember, the definition of cruising is working on your boat in exotic places."

Hehe, yep that is just about right, and when you are done working on your own their will be all the others that are now your new bestest friends once your repair looks like it should.
Old 06-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

Is the deck paint necessary? To me that seems like a last resort type of work, you'll be staying on top of that for a long time to come.
Necessary to the extent that it will hide the fiberglass work. That's about it. Maybe I could just do non-skid paint...the areas that need to be re-cored are under non-skid now.

I just talked to my boat yard about spending the summer on the hard and they said "new boat owners worry way too much". Maybe I'm falling into that trap.