Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-19-2013

71Seafer34 is on a distinguished road
Seafarer 34 centerboard swing keel removal?!

Hello all. I have a question for anyone with a Seafarer 34 or Seafarer period. My boat has the drop down centerboard which is completely rotted, only have of it is still even in the truck. This section is forward so the pin is running through it and I need to understand how this thing attaches to that pin. The pin is obviously glassed over and from what I understand actually embedded in the lead of the keel as well. So, that is not coming out. Did the pennant in some way originally enclose a slot in the board for the pin? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! THANKS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013

meboater is on a distinguished road
Re: Seafarer 34 centerboard swing keel removal?!

I know nothing about the subject, but your post got my attention, having removed a centerboard off a Tanzer. A bit of a challenge.

Your boat looks easier.
Old 06-27-2013

danr620 is on a distinguished road

On the Clipper Marine trailer sailors, If the pin is removed the winch cable will lower the keel down level to service. Of course that assumes the cable is good.

good luck

Dan
Old 06-28-2013
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road

On my 29" Seafarer KCB there is a "J" shaped slot in the keel that the pin slips into.

To remove, lift the swing keel about three or four inches, move it forward and lower it. There should be a strap or a plug to prevent this from happening while underway. You will have to remove it first.

Mine weighed 650 lbs and I did it on a boat lift using the lift cable and ropes and the winches. While I was at it I also put a one inch by 1/4" stainless steel "sled runner" on the bottom as it was pretty well chewed up.

Sometimes the water on the bottom is too close to the top!
Old 06-28-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

My boat is centerboard and I have replaced and had a new center board built as well as replaced all the parts and pins involved. Its very easy work OUT OF THE WATER.
Unless your in the Caribbean haul the boat and save your self a huge headache.
Its nothing more than a line from the inside of the boat down a tube to a pennant fitting to pull up and drop the board. The board is attached to the keel by another very simple fitting. ITs all super easy work out of the water.
Old 06-28-2013
Blue Horizons

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-28-2013
Blue Horizons

You can see the penant in the top pic- that goes up and attaches to a rope spilice thingy which then goes into the cabin.
On the bottom pic right below that guys wrist is the bolt that holds the centerboard into the keel. Remove that bolt and the center board falls out.

Bottom pic is old board. Top pic is new board with new pennant and line system.
Old 06-29-2013

71Seafer34 is on a distinguished road

Wanted to follow up on my experience with my boat, its been quite a process. After getting my board to actually start moving around I decided to cut the three plates that were the remaining structure. I thought I would make a slot and lift them out. I accomplished this on two from the front leading edge of the board trunk. After removing one I finally confirmed that these were custom made, no slot at all to remove the board from the pin. The pin was driven in with the board installed. I got a good look at the pin and was not impressed. Pitted and beat. So that was when I decided to go for it and pull everything, pin and all. No sense in waiting for the next time its out, it's in my driveway right now. Had started a previous pin excavation in my port side; hit lead after 3/4' glass and found many small holes in lead and one half inch hole. Went around to starboard and immediately noticed a round 4 inch bulge in the fair of the keel. Started drilling, made it through a 1/4" of glass and then a mystery material?! Soft and yielding and very wet. What could it be? My guess: PL400 construction sub floor adhesive!!! I was shocked. After a half hour I had chiseled through about 6" of the stuff with voids and pockets of water. At the bottom lay the pin, sitting in the 1/2" of truck wall fiberglass. That's all the support it had. Wow. I was and still am a little shocked by this and am very thankful that I got into all of it, it may have caused big issues down the road. The bulge in my hell was the construction adhesive swelling with water. I hammed the pin out from the port side, the 1/2" hole in the lead. My plan moving forward is to improve upon the design here and make this a removable pin from outside the hull. I plan on recessing stainless steel "dishes" into hull, run the pin through them with a watertight seal like a lip ring or sealant. I will make cover plates for them to keep the water out of the dish and restore the fair to the hull curvature. Obviously, all of the construction adhesive will be hole sawed out in the coming days. If anyone has any questions on the hull, centerboards truck, or anything related let me know now, everything is exposed. Thanks for all the advice and interest!
Attached Thumbnails
Seafarer 34 centerboard swing keel removal?!-dscf0945-copy-.jpg   Seafarer 34 centerboard swing keel removal?!-dscf0950-copy-.jpg   Seafarer 34 centerboard swing keel removal?!-dscf0947-copy-.jpg   Seafarer 34 centerboard swing keel removal?!-dscf0961-copy-.jpg   Seafarer 34 centerboard swing keel removal?!-dscf0962-copy-.jpg  

Old 06-29-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU for sequencing your description. My Paceship 29 CB came with a stubby board, no where near the 6'9" draft according to the specs. I to, will have to explore the side of the hull, and fish for an access cavity. I want to add 18" to its length.
Old 09-07-2013

Robert Gorey is on a distinguished road

Just saw your post, my Seafarer 34 came w/out CB, fabricated new one based on plans for original which I purchased from McCurdy and Rhodes (they are still in business). Original was cast aluminum, weighed 100 lbs. had slot for easy removal (which led to many falling out when pendant broke). Had 1" D. stainless pin which was only app. 4" long and only went from one side of the trunk to the other, not through the lead. I installed my new one with a full length pin after drilling through the lead with a 1" masonry bit with a hammer drill. Set it with thickened epoxy. No slot in the CB! Hope your project works out well.