Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
How much purchase do you have on the chair rig? I only have 2-1, and my 16 year old son hoisted me sans winches (using cam cleats). I weigh about 190. I think the load would be lessened quite a bit with a 3 or 4 to 1 block setup.
1:4 block & tackle would require around 75 meters (246 feet) of rope and two double blocks (one with becket)

The top block can be hoisted to the top of the mast using a halyard.

Using a snatch block you can also lead the tail to a winch.

It will require to haul (or winch) in 60 meters (or 200 feet) of rope but the load would be around 1/4th (50 lbs) - minus some mechanical loss.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Another option (probably your last, though) is to just drop the rig. I've always climbed the mast (in a harness, tethered with two halyards) with my wife tailing- she's 110 lbs, I'm 160, but I can climb on my own, so all she's doing is tailing, not cranking me up. I certainly understand not wanting someone else to do important work on your boat, but it really is easy to drop a mast and put it back up again if you have a hoist or a bridge (no current) at the right height. We dropped the mast on our Olson, which I know may be considerably lighter than yours, but did it in less than 30 minutes, then after I was done, it went back up again in less than an hour- including retuning and connecting the wiring. Just an idea...
Old 06-20-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I would highly recommend you higher a rigger to do the work. You health and safety is worth the price. And you would not want to endager and inexperienced kid to do your work.

I work in rigging and weight handling equipment (which is what all of our running lines should be considered on a boat) is totally different than equipment used to hoist personnel. Although most of us get away with using this weight handling equipment to hoist people, many of us just "get lucky" at not getting hurt, and the rest may have enough experience to inspect somthing and make a good call as to if the equipment is safe enough to hoist a person, and to have enough back-ups in case of a primary failure.

What if you do get someone to hoist you up the mast and the winch fails or slips, what are your secondary supports and how will you get down. Just hanging in your bosuns chair for and extended period can effect your circulation and could cause a heart attack.
Old 06-20-2013

egent is on a distinguished road

She trying to find a mast tower that was mentioned in one post, I found thishttp://www.topclimber.us/features.html

Has anyone used this and know if it is worth trying?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-20-2013

cranki is on a distinguished road

When I was much younger I worked as a rigger. We went up and down masts all the time... even commissioned a few C&C 36's back in the day. We would climb in the bosun's chair with a partner to tail the slack. Always with a few turns around a winch just in case.

To the OP, here are a few thoughts: It can be pretty intimidating up there the first couple of times. It takes more strength than you think and will tire you out. I would not make your wife try to winch you up.

For myself, when I got back into boating and decided to buy a sizable boat to live aboard, I knew I was gonna have to lose weight and get into shape. Just being aboard for a rough passage can wear your ass out!
Old 06-20-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by egent View Post
She trying to find a mast tower that was mentioned in one post, I found thisTopClimber - The only solo mast climbing system

I weigh the same as you do.

Have tried similar contraptions it's basically an ascender combined with foot loops and a harness.
For me the flexible foot loop felt unstable and I used most of my effort to not swing away from the mast.

The movable step in my previous post works better and it's also a lot cheaper..
Old 06-20-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by egent View Post
She trying to find a mast tower that was mentioned in one post, I found thisTopClimber - The only solo mast climbing system

That's what someone else was talking about, ATN topclimber.

My solution: go to REI or some other shop that knows climbing. Buy 2 ascenders and a rockclimbing harness and essentially replicate the idea of the topclimber. You will get much better quality (rockclimbers know their gear) with better safety (you can hang upside down in a properly fitted rockclimbing harness without falling out; don't try this in a bosun chair!), for a fraction of the price.
Old 06-20-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

This book will show you what you need to do to climb your mast without much cost (go to section 6-4 for mast climbing):
Singlehanded Tips Book
The Following User Says Thank You to casey1999 For This Useful Post:
scratchee (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

The topclimber and ATN climber are very similar, but different.

The top climber the halyard slides thru the ascenders and the atn climber they can fit over the halyard. With the ATN there is no need for a separate line. You can climb your halyard.

They are both very safe and have been dropping in price i see. I prefer the ATN climber even though the ascenders are not as well made as real ascenders from REI.

The bosuns chair would be very difficult to fall out of if used as instructed and is far more comfortable than a harness. It does have leg straps. If you fall out of the chair than you have no business being up a mast.

I used to use the harness for hunting; no go. Now with the ATN climber i can feel my toes again. You can hang out for hours. I bow hunt from it.

It does take some time to really learn how to go up and done with the ATN in a rapid fashion. I'm quite fast, but i use a swinging type climb rather than the one you see in the videos. Its actually easier on your knees and waist. I swing my feet up(out) as i pull up the ascender; then push down. Not the best move if it is rough out though.

Compared to putting your on kit together it's roughly the same price.
Ascenders~ $80 ea
Harness~ $40-50 (if not more)
Foot strap~$30
Old 06-20-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
The topclimber and ATN climber are very similar, but different.

The top climber the halyard slides thru the ascenders and the atn climber they can fit over the halyard. With the ATN there is no need for a separate line. You can climb your halyard.

They are both very safe and have been dropping in price i see. I prefer the ATN climber even though the ascenders are not as well made as real ascenders from REI.

The bosuns chair would be very difficult to fall out of if used as instructed and is far more comfortable than a harness. It does have leg straps. If you fall out of the chair than you have no business being up a mast.

I used to use the harness for hunting; no go. Now with the ATN climber i can feel my toes again. You can hang out for hours. I bow hunt from it.

It does take some time to really learn how to go up and done with the ATN in a rapid fashion. I'm quite fast, but i use a swinging type climb rather than the one you see in the videos. Its actually easier on your knees and waist. I swing my feet up(out) as i pull up the ascender; then push down. Not the best move if it is rough out though.

Compared to putting your on kit together it's roughly the same price.
Ascenders~ $80 ea
Harness~ $40-50 (if not more)
Foot strap~$30
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Maybe body shapes are different. I bought a bosun chair and felt very insecure in it, no comparison to the very secure feeling in the properly adjusted harness. And yes, mine is supposed to be a good chair, it was the top model of BoatUS (the last year before they got absorbed by WestMarine). I agree that the harness does not quite have the comfort level of a sofa though.

I looked at the ATN "ascenders" somewhere (maybe the Annapolis boat show) and found them to be rather Mickey-Mousish. The thingies they call ascenders sure are no Petzls... And they asked a lot more money for it than for proper equipment so it was a no-brainer for me. You say prices have come down on it, so perhaps it is different now. It would have to be a lot cheaper than proper rockclimbing ascenders to make it interesting. For me, I never looked again after I bought my equipment (10 years ago).