Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast work

220 pounds max sounds like a pretty flimsy bosuns chair. I wouldnt build myself one that flimsy. A freind on a big sheet winch could winch you up more easily. You could use a multi purchase block to increase the power
Old 06-21-2013

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

I think most bosun chairs are rated in the low 200 lbs. I believe ours is rated at the same, 220 lbs.
I use a climbing harness, ascender ladder attached to the harness, and ascenders, use my legs to do all the work. I have a safety line and that is run back to a winch where my wife helps but also primarily takes up the slack in the line. Fairly easy and safe. The problem with bosun chairs that there is a possibility of felling out if you are stretching for something or not paying attention.
We don't use the cabin #18 winches, we use the #48 aft two speed winches, run the line through the genoa car which provides a better lead to the aft winches.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
The problem with bosun chairs that there is a possibility of felling out if you are stretching for something or not paying attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
I bought a bosun chair and felt very insecure in it, no comparison to the very secure feeling in the properly adjusted harness. And yes, mine is supposed to be a good chair, it was the top model of BoatUS (the last year before they got absorbed by WestMarine).
I'm wondering why you put all bosun chairs into the same category?

This one with proper shoulder, chest and thigh straps is a safe and comfortable.

Is a safer design than this one?

or this one?
Old 06-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Just think, the further you are above whatever the max weight actually may be, the more dramatic the impact will be.

I played college football at 230 and I'm not in shape anymore. I get it.

Bosun chair work is generally not all that time consuming, especially changing out a couple of lights. Easy to pay someone else to do, just buy the parts and send someone up. It's for emergency only in my world........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-21-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
I'm wondering why you put all bosun chairs into the same category?

This one with proper shoulder, chest and thigh straps is a safe and comfortable.

Is a safer design than this one?

or this one?
Guilty as charged, I overgeneralized. What is sold for the general marine market (meaning West Marine, Defender etc) is not representative for what the pros are probably using.

Then again, how much does this thing cost? A good rock climbers harness is in the $50.- range.
Old 06-21-2013

Quote:
Guilty as charged, I overgeneralized. What is sold for the general marine market (meaning West Marine, Defender etc) is not representative for what the pros are probably using.

Then again, how much does this thing cost? A good rock climbers harness is in the $50.- range.

Found it at 58 EUR (= 75 USD) but far more comfortable than a climbing harness for prolonged stay at the mast (I have tried both

If you are doing more than just changing a light bulb things tend to take some time.. A rig inspection for instance.
Old 06-21-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post

Found it at 58 EUR (= 75 USD) but far more comfortable than a climbing harness for prolonged stay at the mast (I have tried both

If you are doing more than just changing a light bulb things tend to take some time.. A rig inspection for instance.
Assuming it is made from good quality materials and properly sewn etc (which we can't see on the pricture), $75.- is an excellent price for this.
Old 06-21-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The Ascenders on the ATN Mast Climber don't seem fundamentally lower quality than the Petzl ones. I'm interesting to know what aspect you find to be cheesy.

I looked at building my own, but it wasn't a lot less money and it was a lot more work.

My sailing buddies and I have also used climbing harnesses (one of them has climbing experience) and found them unsafe due to the pressure that they put on leg nerves. They are meant for active use, not dangling in them on the mast for 30 minutes while you replace hardware. The (simple and small) bosun's chair with the ATN Mast Climber is a lot more comfortable and still safe. The only aspect that my climbing friend doesn't like is that the leg loops don't have the right sort of buckle to allow backing it up.

Knut's system using a cam cleat is interesting and I saw it before purchasing my Mast Climber. It doesn't allow for solo use though. I don't like going up solo, but I've done it a couple of times when I needed to get something done and couldn't get someone to spot me. I'd also watch the load rating on those cam cleats, a standard Harken 150 is only rated to 300lbs. The one in that photo looks like it might be a Ronstan, I can't tell if it is the medium size (275lb rating) or large (510lb).

Dropping the mast is an option with smaller/lighter rigs, but not on bigger boats.
Old 06-21-2013

Quote:
Assuming it is made from good quality materials and properly sewn etc (which we can't see on the pricture), $75.- is an excellent price for this.
The one in the first picture is the same as I and my professional rigger is using.
It's a good quality product
Old 06-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Knut's system using a cam cleat is interesting and I saw it before purchasing my Mast Climber. It doesn't allow for solo use though. I don't like going up solo, but I've done it a couple of times when I needed to get something done and couldn't get someone to spot me. I'd also watch the load rating on those cam cleats, a standard Harken 150 is only rated to 300lbs. The one in that photo looks like it might be a Ronstan, I can't tell if it is the medium size (275lb rating) or large (510lb).
I didn't make this system to climb solo, but in combination with other climbing equipment in can be done.

I'm not so concerned about the load on this cleat, it's only an aid to make climbing easier for the winch person (not a safety device).

I'm always using two halyards while climbing the mast.

I don't remember the make/model of the cleat, I reused some spare parts in my rigging bag and the plywood is also reused.