SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

blocks on mainsail reefing cringles..

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Aac 
#1 ·
Hi,
I put in two reefs with single line reefing each.
Im discovering what most of you already know, the friction problem.

So one thing I am planning is to put small blocks on each cringle.

How do most people attach the block in the cringle?
Also, what loading should I expect (I want the smallest blocks possible)?

thanks,
groundhog

#2 ·
You would be way ahead of the game going to two-line reefing instead. The advanatage of two line systems are fewer moving parts, way less friction, you can adjust your foot tension independent of your luff tension, less line to haul, way faster to put in, no chance of jambing, and you don't have to take your boom apart periodically to get to the tackle hidden in your boom. I have taken a single line reef off a 25 footer I owned after the second time it jambed inside the boom in ugly conditions.

Otherwise to answer your question, the blocks at the kringles are stitched to a strop. The loads are pretty big because there is usually a reverse mechanical advantage on these blocks.

#5 ·
Its easy enough to buy some stropping and stitch it yourself. You can put a D ring on one side and stitch in the block on the other.

Wait a minute....I just noticed: 45mm is a huge Kringle. That is huge. What size boat are we taking about here?

#9 ·
Agree with Jeff. Bought my boat with a single line reefing setup and often needed to venture to the mast to untangle the reefing line. Cut the blocks off the main sail luff and installed two line reefing (see Harken) ; just like Jeff says its way better. It could be that different boats behave differently, don't know, but in my case of a fractional rig and dominant main the ability to independently tension the tack and clew resulted in a good looking reefed main sail rather than a baggy main sail. The time it takes to reef is also quicker and I can't fathom why anyone would want single line reefing, or, am I missing something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.