Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

And since this started happening so soon from the factory how do we know there wasn't some sort of manufacturing debris left in the bowl that got sucked up into the carb jets? A little metal spec is enough to clog these carbs.
Old 06-24-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

i would take it back for warranty work, but expect a bill. I was recently looking at a new OB for the boat. same size as yours. first thing they stressed was run it dry everytime. why the bill? because leaving fuel in motor to varnish is generally not covered.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79:1048768
i would take it back for warranty work, but expect a bill. I was recently looking at a new OB for the boat. same size as yours. first thing they stressed was run it dry everytime. why the bill? because leaving fuel in motor to varnish is generally not covered.
2 week old fuel varnishes? That's a bit extreme no? Out of all the outboards I have ever owned, I have never been required to run them dry, nor does it say that in the manual. It does state in the manual that if you plan to "store" the motor for an "extended period of time" it should be treated. I don't think 2 weeks is "storing" nor "extended".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

On the 2hp Honda it is recommended that you run the carb dry, not that you run the whole fuel tank dry.

That is why there is a fuel on/off lever on the starboard side of the engine (at least on my older BF2A). I always do this when I'm not going to be using the motor for a couple of days. It takes a few minutes at idle speed due to the engine's extreme fuel economy. I guess if you were really impatient you could use the carb drain screw, collect the fuel, then dump it back into the tank.

The carb is so small that it is possible for fuel to evaporate and leave behind varnish in a couple of weeks.

I don't think that any other brand of engine will be any better in this respect. They all use small carbs and fuel varnishing is a problem.
Old 06-24-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
2 week old fuel varnishes? That's a bit extreme no? Out of all the outboards I have ever owned, I have never been required to run them dry, nor does it say that in the manual. It does state in the manual that if you plan to "store" the motor for an "extended period of time" it should be treated. I don't think 2 weeks is "storing" nor "extended".
while I would wholeheartedly agree with you. I have seen it happen where they tell the customer it is operator error due to varnish. new fuels are terrible for varnishing.
Old 06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W:1048780
On the 2hp Honda it is recommended that you run the carb dry, not that you run the whole fuel tank dry.
This makes more sense. I wish it would have stated that in the manual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

It does say that in the storage portion of the manual. Here is a manual for a 2006 BF2D:
http://marine.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31ZW6610.pdf

Look at pages 51-53. Storage for them is not using it for over 15 days, at least as I read the manual.

I haven't looked at the newest manual, but I'm sure it's covered and if anything the storage times would have come down.
Old 06-24-2013

robert@hm is on a distinguished road

The warranty can't be "voided." It it technically and legally impossible to do that. Honda has a legal obligation to repair any factory defects, and just because you elect to try and do some repairs does not excuse them from that obligation, period. You can change your own oil, take it to another non-Honda dealer, use non-factory parts, etc. The key caveat is as long as your actions aren't shown to be the cause of any failure or problem with the outboard when you want Honda to pay for warranty repairs.

In short, if your repairs damage or break some part of the outboard and then you expect Honda to pay for it, they will probably decline. If some other original or genuine part of the outboard is broken and it is determine to have a factory defect, Honda will likely pay for the repairs.

If you think there is a genuine factory defect, for sure, have a Honda dealer inspect it. Be sure you communicate with the dealer who is paying for what BEFORE any repairs are made to the motor.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W:1048814
It does say that in the storage portion of the manual. Here is a manual for a 2006 BF2D:
http://marine.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31ZW6610.pdf

Look at pages 51-53. Storage for them is not using it for over 15 days, at least as I read the manual.

I haven't looked at the newest manual, but I'm sure it's covered and if anything the storage times would have come down.
You are correct sir... Man, that is lousy! 15 days?!

Old 06-24-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I forgot to drain the gas from my Honda 2HP. The next spring, no go. The bowl was full of debris, almost like sand? I did two experiments:

1. Let half a coffee can of treated gas evaporate in open air. After a number of months all that was left was a little bit of what looked like 90 weight gear oil, which never went away.

2. In an old carburetor, I left the bowl full of treated gas with the carb assembled. After a month or so, I took it apart. There was absolutely no evidence of any deposits or debris, it was perfectly clean.

Perhaps there is a difference in the gas evaporating in open air and the gas evaporating in an enclose area such as the assembled carb?

In any event, I always drain the carb if it is not going to be used fro a week or so, seems to work, no problems.

Paul T

Tags
honda outboard