Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

Just got this motor about a month ago. It ran fine the first times out. Today, third use, it will only run half throttle or above on half choke. Even when warm, it now needs full choke to start. It will not idle without immediately stalling on any choke setting. On half choke, half throttle it runs smooth as can be. With the choke off and 1/3 to 1/2 throttle it runs but has oscillating revs.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Suggest you make sure the tank vent is not plugged. If not, sounds like some debris got into the carb, or the gas evaporated, leaving goo behind. Maybe some carb cleaner at about 50% gas mix. Let it set for a day or two then try gain. If no go, time to clean out the carb, thin wire and compressed air. Suggest you drain the carb if it is not going to be used for a week or so

Paul T
Old 06-22-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Is it a new outboard, or used?
Sadly a used outboard could be suffering from a lacquered carb bowl. If it's new, then someone would need to eat it!

I won't start anyone on WHY it's lacquered, but lets just say run it dry every time you use it (once it's running well again).
Old 06-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL:1048054
Is it a new outboard, or used?
Sadly a used outboard could be suffering from a lacquered carb bowl. If it's new, then someone would need to eat it!

I won't start anyone on WHY it's lacquered, but lets just say run it dry every time you use it (once it's running well again).
Brand new. One month old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis:1048053
Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Suggest you make sure the tank vent is not plugged. If not, sounds like some debris got into the carb, or the gas evaporated, leaving goo behind. Maybe some carb cleaner at about 50% gas mix. Let it set for a day or two then try gain. If no go, time to clean out the carb, thin wire and compressed air. Suggest you drain the carb if it is not going to be used for a week or so

Paul T
Exactly what I was thinking - fuel starved. Just can't figure out how something got messed up this early. It's one month old, used 3 times and I always run super instead of regular just like my other boats.

Old 06-22-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Under warranty then. Use it.
Seaduction likes this.
Old 06-24-2013

robert@hm is on a distinguished road

Sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Today's "modern" ethanol fuels can wreak havoc in small gas engines with carburetors that aren't used every day, and slime/gunk can form quickly, especially in warm weather. Sometimes, a good fuel system clean can solve it. In the worst case, a complete cleaning of the fuel system / carburetor is required. Typically, poor running due to a fuel deterioration issue is not considered a factory defect so isn't covered under warranty. A Honda dealer can still repair it, but at your expense. If you want to DIY, it is not too difficult; a few hand tools, and take your time. Here are a couple of pages from the shop manual; use a good quality carb cleaner a lots of compressed air to clean all the passages...

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@hm:1048738
Sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Today's "modern" ethanol fuels can wreak havoc in small gas engines with carburetors that aren't used every day, and slime/gunk can form quickly, especially in warm weather. Sometimes, a good fuel system clean can solve it. In the worst case, a complete cleaning of the fuel system / carburetor is required. Typically, poor running due to a fuel deterioration issue is not considered a factory defect so isn't covered under warranty. A Honda dealer can still repair it, but at your expense. If you want to DIY, it is not too difficult; a few hand tools, and take your time. Here are a couple of pages from the shop manual; use a good quality carb cleaner a lots of compressed air to clean all the passages...

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
This engine is only about a month old. Oldest gas would be 2 weeks and all I run is super 93 octane. I could understand if I had fuel that was a month or more old - but that's not the case. If Honda wants to charge me on this, I'll be moving to another brand plain and simple.
Seaduction likes this.

Old 06-24-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't do anything to the engine until the dealer took a look at it. Trying to fix this yourself may void the warranty. Me? I'd dump the gas, put the proper octane rated fuel in the tank and crank her up. Also read the manual to see if there is anything said about ethanol laced gasoline.
Old 06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme:1048753
I wouldn't do anything to the engine until the dealer took a look at it. Trying to fix this yourself may void the warranty. Me? I'd dump the gas, put the proper octane rated fuel in the tank and crank her up. Also read the manual to see if there is anything said about ethanol laced gasoline.
Couldn't agree with you more. If I pull anything apart they will void the warranty for sure. It had fresh from the pump gas in it when it started doing this.

Tags
honda outboard