New Honda 2.3 outboard not running - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-22-2013
CaribDream's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2
CaribDream is on a distinguished road
New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

Just got this motor about a month ago. It ran fine the first times out. Today, third use, it will only run half throttle or above on half choke. Even when warm, it now needs full choke to start. It will not idle without immediately stalling on any choke setting. On half choke, half throttle it runs smooth as can be. With the choke off and 1/3 to 1/2 throttle it runs but has oscillating revs.

Any ideas?
__________________
Go sailing now my brother,
It's later than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 06-22-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 5,800
Thanks: 2
Thanked 88 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 7
dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Suggest you make sure the tank vent is not plugged. If not, sounds like some debris got into the carb, or the gas evaporated, leaving goo behind. Maybe some carb cleaner at about 50% gas mix. Let it set for a day or two then try gain. If no go, time to clean out the carb, thin wire and compressed air. Suggest you drain the carb if it is not going to be used for a week or so

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 06-22-2013
SHNOOL's Avatar
Stupor-user.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East Stroudsburg, PA
Posts: 829
Thanks: 6
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 7
SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

Is it a new outboard, or used?
Sadly a used outboard could be suffering from a lacquered carb bowl. If it's new, then someone would need to eat it!

I won't start anyone on WHY it's lacquered, but lets just say run it dry every time you use it (once it's running well again).
__________________
The Capri 25, cheap, fast, trailerable, and paid for...
"We're going the wrong way!"
"Yeah but look how fast we're going!"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 06-22-2013
CaribDream's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2
CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL:1048054
Is it a new outboard, or used?
Sadly a used outboard could be suffering from a lacquered carb bowl. If it's new, then someone would need to eat it!

I won't start anyone on WHY it's lacquered, but lets just say run it dry every time you use it (once it's running well again).
Brand new. One month old.
__________________
Go sailing now my brother,
It's later than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 06-22-2013
CaribDream's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2
CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis:1048053
Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Suggest you make sure the tank vent is not plugged. If not, sounds like some debris got into the carb, or the gas evaporated, leaving goo behind. Maybe some carb cleaner at about 50% gas mix. Let it set for a day or two then try gain. If no go, time to clean out the carb, thin wire and compressed air. Suggest you drain the carb if it is not going to be used for a week or so

Paul T
Exactly what I was thinking - fuel starved. Just can't figure out how something got messed up this early. It's one month old, used 3 times and I always run super instead of regular just like my other boats.
__________________
Go sailing now my brother,
It's later than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 06-22-2013
JimsCAL's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 2,165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 7
JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

Under warranty then. Use it.
Seaduction likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 06-24-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
robert@hm is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

Sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Today's "modern" ethanol fuels can wreak havoc in small gas engines with carburetors that aren't used every day, and slime/gunk can form quickly, especially in warm weather. Sometimes, a good fuel system clean can solve it. In the worst case, a complete cleaning of the fuel system / carburetor is required. Typically, poor running due to a fuel deterioration issue is not considered a factory defect so isn't covered under warranty. A Honda dealer can still repair it, but at your expense. If you want to DIY, it is not too difficult; a few hand tools, and take your time. Here are a couple of pages from the shop manual; use a good quality carb cleaner a lots of compressed air to clean all the passages...





-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 06-24-2013
CaribDream's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2
CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@hm:1048738
Sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Today's "modern" ethanol fuels can wreak havoc in small gas engines with carburetors that aren't used every day, and slime/gunk can form quickly, especially in warm weather. Sometimes, a good fuel system clean can solve it. In the worst case, a complete cleaning of the fuel system / carburetor is required. Typically, poor running due to a fuel deterioration issue is not considered a factory defect so isn't covered under warranty. A Honda dealer can still repair it, but at your expense. If you want to DIY, it is not too difficult; a few hand tools, and take your time. Here are a couple of pages from the shop manual; use a good quality carb cleaner a lots of compressed air to clean all the passages...





-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
This engine is only about a month old. Oldest gas would be 2 weeks and all I run is super 93 octane. I could understand if I had fuel that was a month or more old - but that's not the case. If Honda wants to charge me on this, I'll be moving to another brand plain and simple.
Seaduction likes this.
__________________
Go sailing now my brother,
It's later than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 06-24-2013
Captainmeme's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 683
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda 2.3 outboard not running

I wouldn't do anything to the engine until the dealer took a look at it. Trying to fix this yourself may void the warranty. Me? I'd dump the gas, put the proper octane rated fuel in the tank and crank her up. Also read the manual to see if there is anything said about ethanol laced gasoline.
__________________
No such thing as a free cat, and that goes for boats as well.
Nor'sea 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 06-24-2013
CaribDream's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 162
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2
CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme:1048753
I wouldn't do anything to the engine until the dealer took a look at it. Trying to fix this yourself may void the warranty. Me? I'd dump the gas, put the proper octane rated fuel in the tank and crank her up. Also read the manual to see if there is anything said about ethanol laced gasoline.
Couldn't agree with you more. If I pull anything apart they will void the warranty for sure. It had fresh from the pump gas in it when it started doing this.
__________________
Go sailing now my brother,
It's later than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Tags
honda outboard


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda 8HP outboard to charge 12V i_amcdn Gear & Maintenance 6 08-10-2012 10:19 AM
Honda generator(s) in lieu of running auxiliary tankersteve Gear & Maintenance 66 03-09-2012 07:44 AM
Parts for Honda 100 9.9HP outboard monroe Gear & Maintenance 1 08-16-2006 03:23 AM
Honda 4 stroke outboard mikehoyt Gear & Maintenance 4 05-24-2002 05:08 AM
Honda Outboard GGartin Gear & Maintenance 0 01-14-2001 05:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012