Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
How old is your boat hook?

In my sailing area there are a lot, and I mean a bunch, of charter boats. The skill set of the captains can vary wildly. I was swapping stories the other day with a friend and the subject of witnessing dropped/bent/lost boat hooks came up. Between the two of us we believe we have collectively seen more than 50 boat hooks prematurely meet the end of their useful life. We then started trying to figure out how old our boat hooks were. Yes, the mind wanders while enjoying rum!!! The two boats I've owned each had a boat hook, or two, on them at time of purchase. I've never actually bought one and if somebody told me my current boat hook was 20 years old, I wouldn't be surprised.

So not only do you remember your first bucket, but do you remember your first boat hook? Mine looked like hell and got caught by a whipping jib sheet but somehow didn't fly off the boat. It was still on the boat when I sold her.

What makes it special? It came with the boat and cost me nothing additional. There is another spare stored below so I don't worry too much about losing it.

Is it fixed length or extendable? Extendable on this boat, fixed on previous.

What are the oddest things you've done with it? Caught a topping lift that was flying around wildly in rough conditions high above the deck. Used it to pole out a genoa on a nearly windless day. Used it to retrieve some sunglasses that fell overboard despite having a neck strap attached in water that was about 8' deeper than I was able to free dive. Snagged the handhold on a dinghy I found floating free and slowly towed it with the boat hook until I could get a temporary painter rigged for proper towing.

What have you used, or seen used, in place of a boat hook? I've seen mops, gaffs, whisker poles, anchors, buckets, fishing gear and an emergency tiller. My all time favorite was watching a guy who dropped his boat hook, chase it down as it drifted away before sinking and then held his young son by the ankles to drop him over the side to grab it. The misses was quite vocal in her displeasure of the entire event. Just when I think I've seen it all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013

Azzarac is on a distinguished road
Re: How old is your boat hook?

Mine too came with my boat so I'm only able to guess at the age. It is an extendable version that I beleve to be ten to fifteen years old.

As to the oddest thing I have done with it? That would have to be when I used it to recover 99 red helium balloons from a tree where they were snared when my daughter released them on her 16th birthday.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

When we purchased this boat, it had only one, so we bought a spare. Hey, they make floating boat hooks, so that seemed like a smart idea.

About a year or two later, we are on a cruise and attempting to grab a mooring in 30 kt winds. It was a long, stressful day and I wasn't familiar with the anchorage to be comfortable on the hook, so we looked for a mooring. It was early season, with no one around. In hindsight, there was plenty of leeway and I should have dropped the hook to test holding.

It was blowing hard enough, that one had to steady themselves to be on the deck. Probably 1 ft fetch in the anchorage too. The shifty winds blow us off the mooring ball in a second. When we approach, my wife grabs the painter with the hook. With anxiety to get the painter under the pulpit and on a cleat before we are blown away, she tosses the hook behind her, like Snoopy emptying his doghouse.

The rear hits the deck first and ricochets back up, only to force the front of the hook to now plunge toward the deck. It only took a back and forth cycle or two until it found the life line that sprung it overboard.

I now know the advantage of the floating hooks is to extend the memory of losing it, while you see it hopelessly float away. While it gets smaller and smaller, you have the opportunity to recall the premium you paid for the floating version. Yes, the next morning, we toured the rocky shoreline it was headed toward, but it was gone.

We bought another one. It's still with us.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-23-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I have one, I DID have two but I am happy with one, nuf said.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 06-23-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I've one of the telescoping "twist to lock" types. It's ok.. But I wonder if a long strong pole with hook would be better in some cases, especially when it's needed to push!

My boat is for sale.

Old 06-23-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I have three boat hooks.

1. Came with the boat - 7 years old, fixed length, fixed nicely in a bracket on the cabin top.

2. West Marine telescoping - 5 years old, has a fitting for Stainless Steel Mooring Hook Kit 5" Clip | C0182-K120 and lives along a grab rail on the cabin top.

3. West Marine fixed - 4 years old, boat show special at $10 v. $25 in the store. Hangs across the pushpit. Gets used more than any other for pushing, pulling, and scooping things out of the water. More than paid for itself getting cushions and fenders lost by others out of the water.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-23-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

One old corroded fixed length one was on the boat when we bought it, from the looks of it it may have been with the boat since new ('88). A really nice one (stout, fixed length about 6') washed up on our beach a few years ago and so that's what we have on board now. I mainly use it to retrieve my hat from the water and to pull the transom plug line on the dink when I forget to pull it before raising on the davits.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-23-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I have a West Marine telescoping that came with my boat. Just used it first time today. Shoe slipped off my foot and into the water and had to fish it back out.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 06-23-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i have multiple gaffs and a boat hook that is about done--came with one or other of my boats and is over a decade old.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 06-23-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

We had a WM telescoping version when we bought the boat, but the twist-to-lock mechanism failed shortly thereafter.

We replaced it with a telescoping paint roller handle -- which is beefier and extends farther than the old WM version. We picked up a nylon screw-on hook and "Abracadabra!" we were back in business. After using it, I think it outperforms the WM version anyway.

Being a fixed income kind of guy, I've still not cracked open the wallet to get a hand-held depth sounder. I use the boat hook instead -- it's marked so I can probe from the dinghy if we're unsure of making it to or out of an anchorage, or to verify dockside depths (which saved our bacon in Grafton IL a few years back.)

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.