Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road
Mast leaning forward (new mast step)

Hi,

I am a beginner sailboat owner and have been working on a '74 Laguna Windrose since Feb 2012.. so I am trying to learn to sail while having learned (and still learning) how to build/fabricate & repair the darn thing!

I have replaced the mast bracket along with the cracked damaged fiberglass below it, I did this last year and beefed it up about a half an inch.

I purchased the replacement bracket from Dwyer Mast and although they have VERY LIMITED tech support and a very limited desire to offer advice on the application of their products, they did tell me that the mast is supposed to rest flat on the bracket (I guess it's actually called the "step"?). This makes sense to achieve a solid mast IMO.

With that being said, mine is definitely leaning forward. This happened b/c the surface on the deck is slightly slanted.

My question is this: Should I use a "shim" under the mast (if so what kind?) to level the mast or should I just leave it flat and thereby slanted. Or should I remove the bracket and build up the fiberglass??

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Shawn T
Wichita KS
Attached Thumbnails
Mast leaning forward (new mast step)-img_20130614_063742.jpg   Mast leaning forward (new mast step)-img_20130614_063824.jpg   Mast leaning forward (new mast step)-img_20130623_084745.jpg   Mast leaning forward (new mast step)-img_20130623_084758.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Mast leaning forward (new mast step)

Shawn, so far as I've seen on a boat had (hunter 23) and other boats I've helped rig up. it's the pivot pin that supports most of the weight of the mast. If you can get the bottom of the mast to sit flat on the step plate in the vertical position it would be good but I don't think would hurt it either way. Later on in your learning curve you'll start to understand how mast top fwd and aft affect handling the boat.

Is your head stay long enough? (the front cable) and that would possible make the back stay too long.

Hope this helps a little

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2013

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm, you have me wondering now... the Dwyer guy told me that the mast should sit flat and NOT on the pin (as the weight would deform the bracket) - I guess the weight is supposed to be at the bottom of the mast and not the pin but I could be wrong. My pin is about 1/8" above the bottom of the slot in the side of the mast bracket and does not bear any load.

I lengthened my backstay and shortened my forestay to get the mast to pull forward and flatten out (there was a 1/4" gap under the front edge of the mast at the bottom).

I have seen that the mast lean does affect performance but may have seen most folks say that aft is good and forward is bad.

Thank You!
Old 06-23-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I had something like this on my H23 years ago it was a bear to get the front pin in after raising the mast.

This is yours, it's a "Tabernacle" And yes it's pretty clear to me that the pin supports the mast at least during raising and dropping it.

If you were to "level" the plate with the tabernacle on it, you would need a wedge made out of something durable as Faster mentions. If you really want the mast to sit square on the tabernacle you would need to put it on the mast bottom to locate and drill the holes for the pin, then bolt it back on the boat. Then, the pin installed in the mast would only be used to slot in when your raising or dropping the mast. Would you want to cut the mast bottom to the angle of the boat deck? I guess you could.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-23-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Your pics show pretty excessive fwd rake- likely far more than you want or need. The install of the step plate looks pretty clean.

I guess your two options are to remodel the install with an epoxy or some other base to 'level' out the step, or to trim the butt end of the mast to match the angle of the step. The latter is much quicker/easier to do....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Your pics show pretty excessive fwd rake- likely far more than you want or need. The install of the step plate looks pretty clean.

I guess your two options are to remodel the install with an epoxy or some other base to 'level' out the step, or to trim the butt end of the mast to match the angle of the step. The latter is much quicker/easier to do....
Thanks faster,

trimming that mast to a slight angle sounds like a good idea. I do hate to disturb the bracket. Yes it is leaning pretty good.
Old 06-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I had something like this on my H23 years ago it was a bear to get the front pin in after raising the mast.

this is yours, it's a "Tabernacle" And yes it's pretty clear to me that the pin supports the mast.

Those are the same pics I seen and I too thought that. I don't think you would want the mast floating though, it would bend up that bracket fast.
Old 06-23-2013
1934 Chickering

I did an edit on my reply. look above.
"If you were to "level" the plate with the tabernacle on it, you would need a wedge made out of something durable as Faster mentions. If you really want the mast to sit square on the tabernacle you would need to put it on the mast bottom to locate and drill the holes for the pin, then bolt it back on the boat. Then, the pin installed in the mast would only be used to slot in when your raising or dropping the mast. Would you want to cut the mast bottom to the angle of the boat deck? I guess you could. "

good luck!

My boat is for sale.
Old 06-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I did an edit on my reply. look above.
"If you were to "level" the plate with the tabernacle on it, you would need a wedge made out of something durable as Faster mentions. If you really want the mast to sit square on the tabernacle you would need to put it on the mast bottom to locate and drill the holes for the pin, then bolt it back on the boat. Then, the pin installed in the mast would only be used to slot in when your raising or dropping the mast. Would you want to cut the mast bottom to the angle of the boat deck? I guess you could. "

good luck!
Thanks! Someone else suggested trimming the bottom of the mast. I am still wondering how I can get it "machine shop perfect" with a belt sander though.

So I guess it's the shim or trim! Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

you want the mast base to be square to the mast but if you do not want to redo the base you could round of the bottom of the mast so it will touch the mast base just under the pin, think rocking chair. on that small boat it will allow the mast rake be changed and the loads to be in the center of the mast base plate. the plate will spread the load out over the length of the plate. the compression loads should not be on the pin.
Faster and deniseO30 like this.

Tags
mast crooked , mast lean

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.