Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-23-2013

Barron-robinson is on a distinguished road
Smile B&G depth reading 180m in 17m of water

Hello everyone, I have a B&G networks system fitted to my Fastnet 34 and I have been slowly acquiring replacement transducers to get it fully working. I have 2 transducers (tdrs) for depth and they feed into a B&G Depth mercury changeover switch (COS) before being routed to the B&G Network Depth module. I have put two plugs onto the feeds into the COS to make replacing tdrs easier in the future. Having put it all back together, both tdrs are working but both read 180m! As the range of the system is 180m, I suspect this is a fault condition. Clearly the first thought is excessive delays caused by solder joints or cable lengths but the guidance from B&G was not to shorten the cable lengths as their standard length is critical to correct operation. Any thoughts? Many Thanks. Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Re: B&G depth reading 180m in 17m of water

is the frequency switchable? you might have it on the 80ish setting (deep water) instead of the 200khz setting. are the transducers thruhull? if they are mounted on the glass they need seated in epoxy or that toilet wax stuff. you probably know all this. electrical interferance? are they positioned where the last ones were? pointing straight down? all pretty simple ideas, but the simple ones are the ones that usually elude me. good luck

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We recently upgraded our alternator and when it was charging hard it drove our DS reading to full/off scale.. any chance it's this kind of thing happening? The sounder worked fine with engine off, but when started the DS went full scale within a few seconds.. this was an older Signet. Changing to a newer Raymarine head (with original tranducer) fixed the issue.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-24-2013

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that when either of the tdrs is connected directly to the B&g depth unit (ie bypassing the cos) the depth reading is accurate. I think the problem must lie in the cable leading from the cos to the depth display or, alternatively, be some kind of 'ringing' on the inactive tdr 's line having an effect and slowing the returning signal on the active tdr line.
Old 06-24-2013

Faster, the boat is on shore power throughout these trials but I will remove the shore power and re-check thanks.