SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pearson 26 Rigging - Bent Forestay Turnbuckle

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kjones 
#1 ·
Came in from a sail this past Sunday and noticed that the lower end around the forestay turnbuckle is pretty well bent. Doesn't look like the upper is bent but the lower obviously is. Pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/116513800373784938813/P26Forestay?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7S65TT8__YBQ#

You'll note that I included a picture from last fall (after scouring iPhoto) that also seems to show the bend. No idea how this has gone unnoticed before. We've been out sailing in some Gusty-ish winds (20-25+) on the bay before and fortunately haven't had the mast come down I suppose. Anyone ever seen such a thing before?

The stem head fitting on Dan Pfeiffer's site is not curved (like mine is), but after also scouring google images I noticed some other P26s with curved stem head fittings.

Anyway the objective now is to fix it.

According to Dan Pfeiffer the forestay is 7/32 diameter wire and Navtec open body style turnbuckles.
His site has the following listed:
1 TURNBUCKLE, s/s, 7/16" pin x 3/8" screw

Are these the correct parts I need? The 7/16'' pin and 3/8'' screw he has listed is throwing me off.

Turnbuckle:
Navtec Open Body Turnbuckles - Swage Terminal / Toggle

Screw:
Navtec Turnbuckle Screw

Will the stainless screw cause galvic corrosion when in contact with the chromed bronze turnbuckle? I've read chromed bronze is better than S/S so wanted to get the best if replacing. I sail in the Upper Chesapeake.

Thanks in advice for all the help!

See less See more
#5 ·
I naturally think...WTF? Looks like either your boat has run into a dock or another boat or another boat (or dock) has run into you. Do you every tie off in your slip backed in? Anyway...besides how it happened, it should be easy to fix. Use your jib halyard to act as a forestay while you have the bent part off. Should be a quick fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.