Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: battery bank dual charger or triple charger?

I have an ACR from Blue Sea have yet to install it. rewire the engine panel (per Maine Sail)

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I have an ACR from Blue Sea have yet to install it. rewire the engine panel (per Maine Sail)
No need to do anything to the engine panel. Blue sea has suggested wiring diagrams on their package and on their website. Study those and the excellent suggestions from Mainesail on wire terminations and related topics and you should be ok. I'm sure the crew on SNet will provide more than enough suggestions. Here are some pics of the installation:
http://plus.google.com/photos/103384...321?banner=pwa
Old 06-27-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I beleive the ACR is the more modern day approach and accomplishes the same thing without having to buy the echo charger.
I'm not familiar with ACR's so I checked out Blue Seas website. If I'm understanding iwhat I read correctly, the ACR will not charge either battery optimally making the use of different battery types a problem? I thought that was one of the advantages of an echo charger system. Not sure what I'm missing here.
Old 06-27-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Seaduction, I got a "You do not have permission to view this album." on your link

I need to rewire my engine panel because the Amp meter is connected from the switch and then to the starter; a bad thing in the older Universal diesel panels.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
I'm not familiar with ACR's so I checked out Blue Seas website. If I'm understanding iwhat I read correctly, the ACR will not charge either battery optimally making the use of different battery types a problem? I thought that was one of the advantages of an echo charger system. Not sure what I'm missing here.
The ACR is simply a switch that combines or disconnects 2 separate batteries or banks of batteries. If the ACR detects a certain charging voltage on 1 bank then it combines the other bank that it is connected to. It disconnects the banks when the voltage drops below a preset level. It cannot set a voltage for battery type; the charger must do that.
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Seaduction, I got a "You do not have permission to view this album." on your link

I need to rewire my engine panel because the Amp meter is connected from the switch and then to the starter; a bad thing in the older Universal diesel panels.
Sorry, I posted some photos here on my profile page to sort of show what was generally done.
Old 06-27-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
The ACR is simply a switch that combines or disconnects 2 separate batteries or banks of batteries. If the ACR detects a certain charging voltage on 1 bank then it combines the other bank that it is connected to. It disconnects the banks when the voltage drops below a preset level. It cannot set a voltage for battery type; the charger must do that.
Does not sound like it is a better set up than an echo charger. I switch manually between banks based on which needs the charge. The ACR doesn't care. Seems like that could kill one battery or the other.
Old 06-28-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I agree that the ACR is a simpler but not better solution than the Echo Charger. It also isn't that much cheaper ($146 vs $96 with no account at my local store).

The ACR works by combining all batteries together when there is a charge, but keeping them isolated when there is not.

The Echo Charger is a DC-DC charger that charges the starter battery from the house batteries. It only charges from the house batteries when they have >13v (so normally only when they are themselves charging).
Old 06-28-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

There are a lot of misunderstandings out there about Echo's, Duo's (B2B's) and ACR/VSR relays. I suppose I need to write an article on this subject...

Echo Pro's:

*Easiest installation and least additional installation expenses if charge sources already flow to HOUSE bank.
*Simple
*Can mix some battery types, but not all
*Ideal & simple for just keeping a small start battery "topped up"

Echo Cons:

*Voltage drop
*Limited to 15A max
*Is a one-way device
*Could, in-theory, potentially over charge a "start" battery if house bank stays at a high absorption for a long enough period of time (never seen it, likely due to the voltage drop).
*Reliable
*POS factory fuses & poorly executed crimps MUST be replaced
*Voltage limited to 14.4V and non-adjustable (Trojan's & US Battery prefer higher charging voltages than 14.4V)
*WILL-NOT do float independently of the house bank. The manual lies and misleads owners to believe it will. It is simply a voltage follower and follows the house bank minus any voltage drop.
*All charge sources MUST be wired to the HOUSE bank if not already wired as such. This little tid bit can make an Echo or Duo charger cost a LOT more than an ACR installation.

ACR Pro's

*Bi-Directional - current can flow equally both ways
*Bi-directional voltage sensing - turns on when either bank is charged
*Significantly higher current capability
*Both banks are charged at the SAME voltage thus both banks reach absorption, float etc. at the same time.
*Impossible to have one bank with a higher voltage than the other for more than the first few seconds
*Extremely reliable
*Large studs (Blue Sea ACR's) allow MRBF bank fusing to be installed on ACR if close enough to bank
*Completely sealed/potted unit
*Better choice when owners decide to "alternate" house banks (this is not advised but people do it)
*Great choice for windlass or thruster banks (more available current)

ACR Con's

*Requires more expense because wiring is significantly larger gauge
*Requires more expensive fusing
*Not the best choice for mixing battery chemistry
*Requires running alt to house bank if banks are of unequal sizes
*Requires the "start isolation" feature to be wired if solar or other change sources exist

The Echo is very often the easiest to install but not necessarily always the best choice. I install boat loads of both B2B's and VSR's it just depends upon the application.
chef2sail, mitiempo and Seaduction like this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-28-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

"Requires the "start isolation" feature to be wired if solar or other change sources exist"

Guess I need to explore that MS.

My boat is for sale.

Tags
batteries , charging , deep cycle , house bank , starter bank