Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013

mbaillie is on a distinguished road
battery bank dual charger or triple charger?

Currently in my boat we have 2 x deep cycle 12v 150amh for house and 1 x starter battery for engine to start and a dual battery built in charger.

if i run the 2 x deep cycles in parallel can they be charged as 1 battery since it would stay 12v and change to 300 amh? or will i need a 3 battery charger one set of cables for each specific battery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: battery bank dual charger or triple charger?

I think it all depends on how you use the house batteries. If they are permanently paralleled they will discharge and charge equally, and could be charged as one, but if they are on a battery switch that allows you to run one down without using the other you would need to charge them independently. The reason for that is because the higher voltage of the fully charged battery would trick the charger into thinking the discharged one was also fully charged. I think you would also want to make sure they were identical batteries of the same age.
Hull#101
Old 06-26-2013

mbaillie is on a distinguished road

im planning on running the group that is paralled together to run as 1 battery and have the starter battery seperated. will this work? will my charger charge the starter and the group at same time or will it stop once one is full as in the starter?
Old 06-26-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

The paralleled house bank (Bat A and Bat B) can be charged as one battery; run the positive charger lead to positive post on bat A and the negative charger lead to negative post on battery B. You could use an ACR (automatic charging relay) to charge the start battery without using a multibank charger. Best battery life would be obtained with a "smart charger", and separate charging of house bank and start bank. Temperature sensors add a safety feature if you're selecting a new charger.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaillie View Post
im planning on running the group that is paralled together to run as 1 battery and have the starter battery seperated. will this work? will my charger charge the starter and the group at same time or will it stop once one is full as in the starter?
Yes, if your charger is a dual battery charger, that means it essentially functions as 2 discrete chargers that will treat the house and cranking batteries independently. It wouldn't hurt to check the specs of your charger and make sure that it can handle the charging load of the house bank or it may be very slow to recharge.

Polar Battery on Boundary Rd in Vancouver is a good resource, and you can get good prices on batteries and chargers without paying the "marine" markups!
Hull#101
Old 06-26-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

SchockT, My boat has 10 amp Newmar with 4 terminals but only 2 are being used on the house bank. Way it was when I got the boat. Is it a bad to have one pos wire on each bank and 2 Neg on the common negative?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
SchockT, My boat has 10 amp Newmar with 4 terminals but only 2 are being used on the house bank. Way it was when I got the boat. Is it a bad to have one pos wire on each bank and 2 Neg on the common negative?
I don't see why you couldn't since it is no different than connecting the negatives to their respective battery's negative post. They are all electrically connected after all. My Xantrex 2 bank charger only has a single negative wire, and then a positive for each bank.

Of course the prudent thing to do is to read the manual for your specific charger!
Hull#101
Old 06-27-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Recommended reading for basic understanding of charging system:
Installing A Marine Battery Charger Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Old 06-27-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

No one has mentioned the more modern approaches.

A common setup these days is to have chargers only charge the house battery, then to charge the starting battery off of the house battery.

On my boat there 3 batteries in the same configuration as yours and 3 multi-phase chargers: shore power based one, alternator-based, and solar. All of these are charging the house batteries.

The starting battery is charged off of the house battery using a Xantrex Echo Charger.

The battery switch is a Bluesea 5511e which has 3 positions: Off, On, and Combine(Emergency). Off turns everything off. On connects the starting battery to the engine circuits, and the house battery to the house circuits. Combine will combine all circuits should I need to start the boat off of the house batteries.

The advantage of this setup is that my house and starting batteries are never combined (unless there is an emergency) and all batteries get the best quality charging possible. It also allows me to safely mix battery technologies, my house batteries are AGM while my starting battery is a wet cell.

My shore power charger is a Xantrex Trucharge 20+ that can handle two battery banks, but I only have one attached to it.
Old 06-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I beleive the ACR is the more modern day approach and accomplishes the same thing without having to buy the echo charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
No one has mentioned the more modern approaches.

A common setup these days is to have chargers only charge the house battery, then to charge the starting battery off of the house battery.

On my boat there 3 batteries in the same configuration as yours and 3 multi-phase chargers: shore power based one, alternator-based, and solar. All of these are charging the house batteries.

The starting battery is charged off of the house battery using a Xantrex Echo Charger.

The battery switch is a Bluesea 5511e which has 3 positions: Off, On, and Combine(Emergency). Off turns everything off. On connects the starting battery to the engine circuits, and the house battery to the house circuits. Combine will combine all circuits should I need to start the boat off of the house batteries.

The advantage of this setup is that my house and starting batteries are never combined (unless there is an emergency) and all batteries get the best quality charging possible. It also allows me to safely mix battery technologies, my house batteries are AGM while my starting battery is a wet cell.

My shore power charger is a Xantrex Trucharge 20+ that can handle two battery banks, but I only have one attached to it.
deniseO30 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (06-27-2013), mbaillie (06-27-2013)

Tags
batteries , charging , deep cycle , house bank , starter bank

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.