Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-28-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Interior Redesign

Whilst you have it all apart is the best time to run brand new wiring, for everything. Trust me, it will be cheaper and much easier to do, and you can make up a wiring diagram from the start and know just where everything is on your boat. That will come in handy if you ever have to do any work fifteen years from now for some reason.

Congratulations on getting it and good luck with all the work.
Old 06-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

good idea Mark.

Most boats have questionable wiring from new. Add to that mix some owners who didn't quite know now to properly add a radio or other electronics, plus a few years around seawater... it is a recipe for a serious migrane or two as you try to track down any issues

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

OS,

Congrats on the windfall -- I reckon you're gonna come out well ahead value wise.

As for the fasteners, like others have said 18-8/304 will be more than suitable as long as they will not come into contact with any aluminum parts of the boat. Like you probably know, SS and AL don't play nice together if moisture gets into the mix.

+1 on what others have recommended about investing the time/money on a rewire while you've got everything peeled apart now. You also may want to think about plumbing, ventilation, and other systems that usually get tucked into very hard to reach areas.

Have fun with the project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 06-28-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
good idea Mark.

Most boats have questionable wiring from new. Add to that mix some owners who didn't quite know now to properly add a radio or other electronics, plus a few years around seawater... it is a recipe for a serious migrane or two as you try to track down any issues
Been there done that haha, I have purchased a few boats from insurance companies and wished they had the interior removed completely by the time I got done fixing the wiring. One of them I ended up doing just that, it had more shorts and intermittent outages than it had good wires.

I am not sure I want someone to give me a boat, but if the outside looks that good then I would go for it...
Old 06-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
OS,

Congrats on the windfall -- I reckon you're gonna come out well ahead value wise.

As for the fasteners, like others have said 18-8/304 will be more than suitable as long as they will not come into contact with any aluminum parts of the boat. Like you probably know, SS and AL don't play nice together if moisture gets into the mix.

+1 on what others have recommended about investing the time/money on a rewire while you've got everything peeled apart now. You also may want to think about plumbing, ventilation, and other systems that usually get tucked into very hard to reach areas.

Have fun with the project.
Why SS at all for the fasteners.. why not bronze or brass screws? Heck, it's only interior.. you could even use Aluminum

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 06-29-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

304 stainless fasteners are inexpensive and stronger than aluminum or bronze, as well as more readily available.

The wiring of a metal boat is unlike a wood or fiberglass boat though. Everything must be isolated from the hull, especially watch items like motors of pumps that are case grounded. Best practice would be double pole breakers on all Dc loads so when it is off, it is really off with no chance of leakage. Engine isolation is tougher but the easiest solution I have heard is a switch in the negative to the engine that is open except when it is running. This can be wired through a relay so it switches with the ignition.

Pretty boat and for free as well! Good luck.
Old 06-29-2013

OpenSeas is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the comments and good advice!

I plan to tackle this project in three phases. The first being interior redesign, doing any structural work and cosmetic finishing work necessary on the inside. The second is redoing the entire electrical system. I have already more or less redesigned the entire electrical system which is going to implemented in phases. After doing the interior and leaving provisions for wiring, phase two will be to redo all the wiring run new wires throughout as well as setup a new power distribution system, battery bank etc. The third phase of the project would be to get all the electronics hooked up as well as solar panels, plumbing etc. I'm going to do the interior in such a way that any areas needing wiring or piping are always accessible using removable panels instead of fixed panels. This will be helpful for phases 2 and 3 as well as in the long run when I need to fix/maintain systems.

I know it seems backwards to do the interior work and cosmetic stuff before finalizing wiring and piping but I plan to do this project spread out over 1.5 years with the end goal of being able to live aboard at the end. So it is more important for me to be able to get the boat in good shape with basic amenities and then incrementally add to the electrical and plumbing systems while living aboard. Also I have fully planned out the wiring etc. so it will not be very hard to leave provisions while redoing the interior.
Old 06-29-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSeas View Post
Thanks for all the comments and good advice!

I plan to tackle this project in three phases. The first being interior redesign, doing any structural work and cosmetic finishing work necessary on the inside. The second is redoing the entire electrical system. I have already more or less redesigned the entire electrical system which is going to implemented in phases. After doing the interior and leaving provisions for wiring, phase two will be to redo all the wiring run new wires throughout as well as setup a new power distribution system, battery bank etc. The third phase of the project would be to get all the electronics hooked up as well as solar panels, plumbing etc. I'm going to do the interior in such a way that any areas needing wiring or piping are always accessible using removable panels instead of fixed panels. This will be helpful for phases 2 and 3 as well as in the long run when I need to fix/maintain systems.

I know it seems backwards to do the interior work and cosmetic stuff before finalizing wiring and piping but I plan to do this project spread out over 1.5 years with the end goal of being able to live aboard at the end. So it is more important for me to be able to get the boat in good shape with basic amenities and then incrementally add to the electrical and plumbing systems while living aboard. Also I have fully planned out the wiring etc. so it will not be very hard to leave provisions while redoing the interior.
If you intend to do the final electrical wiring after you finish the interior work I would suggest you at least run any main runs that will be covered by the interior wood or other stuff that is going to cover the main runs and make them hard to get at.

I can see the logic in doing it in stages, just be intelligent in the stages you do it in and all should be great.
Old 06-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I'd install plastic conduit up under the hull/deck area. That way you can fish wires any time you want and they are in a dry area.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-29-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I'd install plastic conduit up under the hull/deck area. That way you can fish wires any time you want and they are in a dry area.
That is what I was getting at, pull your main run conduit or the wiring in the conduit prior to buttoning it back up under a bunch of stuff or when the time comes you will be kicking yourself for not doing it when it was way cheaper and way easier.

Tags
interior design , project , remodel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.