Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-11-2004

berwick is on a distinguished road
sail type?

I have recently bought a used sailboat (5 differnet sizes of headsail - non furling) All are the normal dacron material except for one which has a plastic type (mylar maybe?) coating on one side and a rougher brown material on the other side. I know this is poor description but does anyone have any ideas what type of material this may be and what are the advantages etc? The boat is a 23 year old 32 ft.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
sail type?

The brown material may be kevlar or some other super-stuff. Look for it to degrage and delaminate from the mylar due to UV after several seasons.
Old 07-12-2004

BobIdyll3 is on a distinguished road
sail type?

I doubt it''s straight Kevlar, as that would also be covered with a mylar film. Some years ago sailmakers experimented with a kevlar/dacron blend that was beige, but it would have been the same on both sides. Perhaps the rough stuff is simply the UV cover from what may have been a furling sail? Take the sail to your local sailmaker and ask. As for Kevlar delaminating after a few seasons, I would disagree. It depends a lot on frequency and type of use, but you should get 5 years out of an older mylar/kevlar sail, and much more out of a newer one.
Old 07-12-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
sail type?

This whole Kevlar delaminating in some magical period of time is hog wash. It all depends on the cloth and how the sails were handled. My boat has a number of 20 year old kevlar sails. Some have some delamination, but others are like new in terms of no signs of delamination. The sail that I use in the dense air and high winds of the winter is a 20 year old kevlar blade and while it has definite delamination issues, it still has a great shape and even last winter has held together in winds approaching 40 knots.

Jeff
Old 07-13-2004

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
sail type?

One of my "Secret Weapons" is my Light #1. It is a 15+ year old Mylar and Kevlar scrim sail. Which is probably what you have there. I treat it with tender loving care, and it is absolutley one of the nicest setting sails I have ever seen. It had some delam at the tack, which I had my loft put a reinforcing patch on.

Life expectancy of a sail is directly related to its care and handling. If you don''t keep a sail up beyond it''s wind range, keep it clean and nicely flaked, making sure you don''t always fold on the same crease, a sail will last a long time.