SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Recommendation for running rigging lines (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100867-recommendation-running-rigging-lines.html)

katsailor 06-27-2013 03:56 PM

Recommendation for running rigging lines

I need to replace the running rigging; sheets and halyards for my 33' Offshore Cat Ketch. The masts are free standing with a single sheet for each of the self tending sails.

Any recommendations and preferred sources? West Marine has bulk line at 40% off today, and there is a lot of line on ebay.

QuickMick 06-27-2013 04:21 PM

Re: Recommendation for running rigging lines

I've had good luck on Ebay. If possible the 'combine shipping' option can save you some $$. The place I used to use has shifted their focus to stinkpotters so if you have a good experience please share it. I am about to do the same thing. Funny thing, my last boat I was single so just picked out the tracers I liked... now that I am married all color choices go through the Admiral... ;)

Minnewaska 06-27-2013 07:04 PM

Halyards should almost universally be high tech lines, to limit stretch. Sheets can depend on whether you're cruising or racing, with wide varieties of cost and performance.

I had basic New England Ropes Sta-Set for sheets and wanted something a bit better, but not racing crazy. I read good reviews in Practical Sailor for Samson XLS.

What a mistake!!! I hate the stuff and would go back to Sta-Set in a second. I'm virtually abusing the new stuff to try to wear it out.

davidpm 06-27-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1050904)
Halyards should almost universally be high tech lines, to limit stretch. Sheets can depend on whether you're cruising or racing, with wide varieties of cost and performance.

I had basic New England Ropes Sta-Set for sheets and wanted something a bit better, but not racing crazy. I read good reviews in Practical Sailor for Samson XLS.

What a mistake!!! I hate the stuff and would go back to Sta-Set in a second. I'm virtually abusing the new stuff to try to wear it out.

what don't you like about the xls?

Minnewaska 06-27-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 1050930)
what don't you like about the xls?

Slippery on the winch, deforms under load and ugly.

aeventyr60 06-27-2013 11:12 PM

Sta set lasts forever if taken care of....

Hudsonian 06-27-2013 11:42 PM

I much prefer to New England VPC to Samson XLS. It handles well, has a pleasant knbby texture, is stronger and has low stretch.

Alex W 06-28-2013 12:24 AM

VPC is a much more expensive line than XLS, it should be compared to XLS Extra. Both XLS Extra and VPC are budget low stretch lines.

If you order in the next couple of hours you can get running rigging for 40% off at West Marine. Their prices are normally high, but today they aren't. I bought some 7/16" Sta-Set to make new jib sheets with (it'll get spliced to 1/4" amsteel to save weight) and some 1/8" amsteel to make a dinghy hoisting sling with.

I like XLS and find it to grip better to my winches (Lewmar 30) than Sta-Set, but overall they are pretty similar. So when Sta-Set was on sale I bought that.

Minnewaska 06-28-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 1051029)
Sta set lasts forever if taken care of....

Ironically, this was why I was looking for a different line. My Sta-Set jib sheets would be trashed in a few years of cruising. Literally worn through the cover in places with highest abrasion.

However, I got away with three wraps on Sta-Set and need four wraps with the XLS and it still slips or stretches so much underway, I hear it creak on the drum.

katsailor 06-28-2013 08:44 AM

Thanks all, Good feedback;since my boat has self tending sails and free-standing masts I think I can stay on the less expensive end of the spectrum.

Each sail (250 ft/sq) has a single sheet that is rigged to a four part block, I can almost tend my sails by hand with this arrangement. I think using 1/2 inch is overkill in the tensile strength department but it easier on my hand than the smaller diameter lines.

Good information on the Samson, I think the most important parts for my application are durability and how it feels in my hand. Just how stretchy is the new england Sta-set? Is there a chart that shows the properties of the different manufacturers?

I saw some good prices on Ebay that still beat West Marine 40% off. I was going to buy a single reel and replace everything. matching colors aren't real important because I do no have a lot of different lines.