Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road
Recommendation for running rigging lines

I need to replace the running rigging; sheets and halyards for my 33' Offshore Cat Ketch. The masts are free standing with a single sheet for each of the self tending sails.

Any recommendations and preferred sources? West Marine has bulk line at 40% off today, and there is a lot of line on ebay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommendation for running rigging lines

I've had good luck on Ebay. If possible the 'combine shipping' option can save you some $$. The place I used to use has shifted their focus to stinkpotters so if you have a good experience please share it. I am about to do the same thing. Funny thing, my last boat I was single so just picked out the tracers I liked... now that I am married all color choices go through the Admiral...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Halyards should almost universally be high tech lines, to limit stretch. Sheets can depend on whether you're cruising or racing, with wide varieties of cost and performance.

I had basic New England Ropes Sta-Set for sheets and wanted something a bit better, but not racing crazy. I read good reviews in Practical Sailor for Samson XLS.

What a mistake!!! I hate the stuff and would go back to Sta-Set in a second. I'm virtually abusing the new stuff to try to wear it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-27-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Halyards should almost universally be high tech lines, to limit stretch. Sheets can depend on whether you're cruising or racing, with wide varieties of cost and performance.

I had basic New England Ropes Sta-Set for sheets and wanted something a bit better, but not racing crazy. I read good reviews in Practical Sailor for Samson XLS.

What a mistake!!! I hate the stuff and would go back to Sta-Set in a second. I'm virtually abusing the new stuff to try to wear it out.
what don't you like about the xls?
Old 06-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
what don't you like about the xls?
Slippery on the winch, deforms under load and ugly.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-28-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Sta set lasts forever if taken care of....

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-28-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

I much prefer to New England VPC to Samson XLS. It handles well, has a pleasant knbby texture, is stronger and has low stretch.
Old 06-28-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

VPC is a much more expensive line than XLS, it should be compared to XLS Extra. Both XLS Extra and VPC are budget low stretch lines.

If you order in the next couple of hours you can get running rigging for 40% off at West Marine. Their prices are normally high, but today they aren't. I bought some 7/16" Sta-Set to make new jib sheets with (it'll get spliced to 1/4" amsteel to save weight) and some 1/8" amsteel to make a dinghy hoisting sling with.

I like XLS and find it to grip better to my winches (Lewmar 30) than Sta-Set, but overall they are pretty similar. So when Sta-Set was on sale I bought that.
Old 06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Sta set lasts forever if taken care of....
Ironically, this was why I was looking for a different line. My Sta-Set jib sheets would be trashed in a few years of cruising. Literally worn through the cover in places with highest abrasion.

However, I got away with three wraps on Sta-Set and need four wraps with the XLS and it still slips or stretches so much underway, I hear it creak on the drum.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 06-28-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks all, Good feedback;since my boat has self tending sails and free-standing masts I think I can stay on the less expensive end of the spectrum.

Each sail (250 ft/sq) has a single sheet that is rigged to a four part block, I can almost tend my sails by hand with this arrangement. I think using 1/2 inch is overkill in the tensile strength department but it easier on my hand than the smaller diameter lines.

Good information on the Samson, I think the most important parts for my application are durability and how it feels in my hand. Just how stretchy is the new england Sta-set? Is there a chart that shows the properties of the different manufacturers?

I saw some good prices on Ebay that still beat West Marine 40% off. I was going to buy a single reel and replace everything. matching colors aren't real important because I do no have a lot of different lines.

S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.