Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckedOutRob View Post
Well, refit is a relative word. I guess I meant offshore prep for safety. Refit seems to some to mean "replace everything". I think I used it incorrectly. Currently newer sails, refer, standing rigging instruments and engine indicate a concientious owner. I think a some of the people I see on the list are really brilliant with tools and then again some should not pick up a wrench.
I see the same thing in aircraft -people buy an aircraft with starry eyes then realize they do not have the federal licence to perform the work. Parts are a fortune and so is my labor -but I'm good and very fair. The aircraft sits a long time and sucks money and tie down fees. So I think I know mostly what I'm in for. I'm intently avoiding a "project" boat. I'm attempting to take emotion out of the purchase equation but boats are alluring little beasties.

I'd love to hear what someone who has done a chainplate r&r has to offer as advice on cost and time.
I have been working on aircraft and boats all my life and now I own a machine shop. working on aircraft in front of your shop is demanding work and some times hard because of the tight space requirements. but working on a boat that is in a yard or in the water can be much harder and way more time consuming then you would think. it is not as technical but a bit like working on a big jet on a muddy dirt strip and all you have is a latter and a crescent wrench. if you forget one tool you could be done for the day.
Old 06-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Bad chain plates and newer engine? Doesn't sound like a deal breaker to me.
CheckedOutRob likes this.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I think I've read that some people have moved chain plates to the outer hull.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
-Hmmmm. I thought water jet cut absolutely razor clean edges? Hence the reason for water jet cutting recommendations on chain plates. I know the need to polish and then electropolish to remove stress risers after the cutting. Is your comment that water jet leaves rough edges conjecture or first hand? Jus wonderin. Thanks.
Water jet does not leave stress risers because the surface is cut with an abrasive. leaves a smooth but slightly wavy surface. machining, laser and plasma cutting leaves stress risers that need to be sanded and polished out to remove them. for corrosion resistance the stainless need to be polished
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
CheckedOutRob (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road

Am replacing the chainplates on my boat- 8 in total. Cost Stainless metal (316) $25.00 each- cut to size, drilling the holes and welding spacers on the end. $0.00 - exchanged some wood work for the labor. Brought the stainless at http://www.pennstainless.com/ they will custom cut!

Installing- about $30.00 for all new nuts and bolts, and another $40.00 for bedding material.

Whatever you do DO NOT let the boatyard do this project, it's not a big deal, they wanted to charge me $200.00 per piece uninstalled.! Unless hey give you a reasonable price. But you will definitely save a lot of money by DYI.

And I'm doing them 2x a time while the mast is up! no big deal here!
CheckedOutRob likes this.

New boat sailblog -

Last edited by BluemanSailor; 06-28-2013 at 12:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluemanSailor For This Useful Post:
CheckedOutRob (06-28-2013), DJR351 (07-05-2013)
Old 06-28-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road

Roland,

Thanks for the support on this project!! You didn't mention the size of boat you did the work on but it sounds like you understand where I'm coming from. Liked that you noted the cost and suppliers. It's what I was hoping to hear. Now I just have to find somewhere to work on my boat if I go ahead with the purchase.
Old 06-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Nice boat!
The Passport 40 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
group too!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/PassportOwners

My boat is for sale.
Old 06-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The only big expense in replacing chainplates is if they are inaccessible - glassed to the hull, hidden by elaborate cabinetry etc. or if their attaching points are rotted - bulkhead replacement needed and so forth.

If it's simply replacing like with like it shouldn't even get to a boat buck - assuming you turn the wrenches.

Take one or two out and give them to the machine shop to use as templates. They should be made from flat bar, not cut out of plate with a jet. Get them electropolished for a few bucks more and replace - then two more and so on.

I did them on my Columbia 43, which included a fair bit of welding and the reconstruction of a fairly elaborate headstay fitting for less that $1K.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
CheckedOutRob (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Roland,

Thanks for the support on this project!! You didn't mention the size of boat you did the work on but it sounds like you understand where I'm coming from. Liked that you noted the cost and suppliers. It's what I was hoping to hear. Now I just have to find somewhere to work on my boat if I go ahead with the purchase.
I'm working on a 34 footer- finishing up somethings- in between the storms and then will start installing my chainplates. Where are you located?

New boat sailblog -

Old 06-28-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road

Now THAT is what I'm hoping for! $1000 bucks for parts and a #(*$&load of my labor should work ok. BUT, the surveyor noted that there was water intrusion in the port forward knee. Everything being equal I believe I may go ahead with the purchase simply because all the other things I'd need for an offshore boat are mostly there and fairly servieable/newer. I'll never find a 100% boat unless it's close to $200k and if I do the work I know it's solid. I would not go ahead with a boat that had a timed out engine unless it was completely compensated for in purchase price ie. appx. $18K.

Tags
chainplates , passport 40