Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Titnium are a waste of money unless you are going to be keeping the boat for a very long time. Even thenbe why bother? You still onlyand have ten to fifteen years on the rigging. Its just another wy to spendthe more $ then youi need. Unless your circumnaving or sailing theis southern. Ocean beefy 316 will be justa fine. Id recomend titanium too if i was a seller. Motr $ in my poket.c
This is what the person asking for advice stated:

"My intent is crossing oceans and voyaging for many years. I intend to own this boat for a long time."

So, with this in mind, you don't want to scrimp on chainplates.... go with Titanium. It is what you do in 2013 if you want the best.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Bed it correctly and no worries for atleast 3 years."
Wow, turning "do it right once and forever" into a tri-annual maintance and major replacement chore?? I think I'd trust to blind luck and ignore chainplates rather than do a replacement job that I didn't think would last an awful lot longer.
One can easily argue that correct bedding is simply not possible on the conventional chainplate arrangement, stuffing "goo" around a hole that penetrates the deck. Switching to materials that simply can't suffer the corrosion failure, that's something else again though.
Old 06-30-2013

dorymate1 is on a distinguished road

Hayne will cut polish and deliver new chain plates. Made from proper materials & done right. Use the pros not a back yard fabricator when dealing with chain plates . Nothing to fool around with here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you weather all storms
Old 06-30-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

dory, if the chainplates are flat bar stock or bent bar stock, anything simple like that, any machine shop and yes, and back yard fabricator can replicate them. As opposed to express shipping ALL of the chainplates cross-country and back, or waiting for weeks while they are out.

Chainplates are usually a bog-simple fab job, anyone who has figured out how to work in machine shop while keeping all 12 of their fingers can make them up. (Never trust a machinist who isn't polydactyl, he just isn't equipped for the job.)
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Bed it correctly and no worries for atleast 3 years."
Wow, turning "do it right once and forever" into a tri-annual maintance and major replacement chore?? I think I'd trust to blind luck and ignore chainplates rather than do a replacement job that I didn't think would last an awful lot longer.
One can easily argue that correct bedding is simply not possible on the conventional chainplate arrangement, stuffing "goo" around a hole that penetrates the deck. Switching to materials that simply can't suffer the corrosion failure, that's something else again though.
Ive seen some really complicated chainplate setups. My boat is super simple. If you bed them right then like standing rigging 306 should not be able to corrode enough to do any crevice damage for atleast three years. Then simply check once per until the seven eight mark. If your like me you hose the deck with freshwater after salt water sailing.

Your standing rigging is only good for ten. So why buy titanium when you will have to replace the whole rig anyway? When that time comes any prudent captain would pull the chains for inspection anyway so i, really not seeing the critical value of titainium vs beefy 306 here. Its just a lot of flash and money. Its like dropping a cat back exhaust in a honda civic . Sure it might add some hp and not corrode like factory but at the end of the day its still a honda.
The cost to me do not justify the expense but its not my boat. Its his choice. That money saved could be a whole nother island adventure and besides a circum nav will not take longer then 3 or 4 after which case you will need to do a complete and thorough inspect of the entire rig and system ANYWAY, including the chainplates.v
Old 07-01-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Ive seen some really complicated chainplate setups. My boat is super simple. If you bed them right then like standing rigging 306 should not be able to corrode enough to do any crevice damage for atleast three years. Then simply check once per until the seven eight mark. If your like me you hose the deck with freshwater after salt water sailing.

Your standing rigging is only good for ten. So why buy titanium when you will have to replace the whole rig anyway? When that time comes any prudent captain would pull the chains for inspection anyway so i, really not seeing the critical value of titainium vs beefy 306 here. Its just a lot of flash and money. Its like dropping a cat back exhaust in a honda civic . Sure it might add some hp and not corrode like factory but at the end of the day its still a honda.
The cost to me do not justify the expense but its not my boat. Its his choice. That money saved could be a whole nother island adventure and besides a circum nav will not take longer then 3 or 4 after which case you will need to do a complete and thorough inspect of the entire rig and system ANYWAY, including the chainplates.v
Though standing rigging is "only good for ten", nobody I know actually follows that schedule. Maybe you do, but nobody around Boston whom I know is, or else every single sailboat here would have a new rig.

Anyway, after my chainplates broke 1000 miles out to sea, 2 different riggers were clear on one thing: Use Titanium if you are replacing your chainplates.

For me, (a 1986 Ta Chiao CT 56), it is more than enough of a hassle to actually access and replace the chainplates, and knowing I am not going to replace my rig every 10 years, if / when I do replace my chainplates I sure am going to use titanium.

Save a few bucks if you want, I would rather have peace of mind, within the realities of how often I actually do replace my rig / chainplates; i.e., once per generation. :-)
Old 07-01-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

The idea that chainplates and standing rigging are going to be replaced every three years is sort of nutty. I know I have never seen anyone who did that, and I have been around a boat or two LOL. I do not even know anyone who replaces all of the running rigging every three years, all that rope and the sails and the stainless adds up to a huge pile of cash no matter who you are, and what generally happens is that a person will inspect it or have it inspected at the time of purchase and then replace the stuff that is either missing, broken, or will be broken before next season. Then after that it is a continual maintenance thing, polishing, cleaning, repairing, and praying that this crap does not come apart anytime there is a storm is all part of most people's boating experience. I personally do all of my own work on the boats that I have owned, with minor exceptions, and I get to know the boat very well, and this lets me know what I can get away with waiting to fix, and what I cannot.

If something is going to fall and bonk me on the head, or is going to let the water on the outside get to be on the inside,or something that is going to catch on fire and toast me and the boat, or make it impossible to steer the boat then it gets fairly immediate attention. If something is going to make it hard for me to eat, drink, use the toilet, or shower it gets attention as soon as I can conveniently deal with it. If something is just a minor nuisance or inconvenience but it is not going to burn me, drown me, or keep me from being comfortable, then I deal with it during routine maintenance that I schedule for every week, month, and year.

There is always something to do on a boat, there is no such thing as having nothing that you need to do, but at least some of it can wait until you get done doing what you want to do. After all, if you make yourself a slave to the boat then you are just working, and you are not even getting paid for it.
davidpm and DougSabbag like this.
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I did not say REPLACE, I simply said inspect- my chainplate broke in a small craft advisory on the St. Johns from a fracture between the deck and underside so my visual inspection was worthless- you had to PULL THE CHAINPLATE to be able to see it. So after three years you SHOULD pull the chainplates and inspect- BOTH SIDES!!!!! I only pulled the starboard side and it was so nice looking I skipped port. Port was the one that snapped in 25 knots risking mast collapse.

Also- Circumnavigating is WAY different than occasional sailing. The CONSTANT stress and loads, salt corrosion, and constant use warrant a COMPLETE CHECK UP after said circum navigation INCLUDING chainplates titanium or not. I said a rig is good for 10- yes it can make 20 but come 15 Im replacing unless Im in fresh water. Your standing rigging is only trumped by your seacocks. Standing rigging includes chainplates. So unless your going titanium shrouds and turn buckles too I REALLY dont see the point in the expense of titanium over 306.
DougSabbag likes this.
Old 07-01-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
The idea that chainplates and standing rigging are going to be replaced every three years is sort of nutty. I know I have never seen anyone who did that, and I have been around a boat or two LOL. I do not even know anyone who replaces all of the running rigging every three years, all that rope and the sails and the stainless adds up to a huge pile of cash no matter who you are, and what generally happens is that a person will inspect it or have it inspected at the time of purchase and then replace the stuff that is either missing, broken, or will be broken before next season. Then after that it is a continual maintenance thing, polishing, cleaning, repairing, and praying that this crap does not come apart anytime there is a storm is all part of most people's boating experience. I personally do all of my own work on the boats that I have owned, with minor exceptions, and I get to know the boat very well, and this lets me know what I can get away with waiting to fix, and what I cannot.

If something is going to fall and bonk me on the head, or is going to let the water on the outside get to be on the inside,or something that is going to catch on fire and toast me and the boat, or make it impossible to steer the boat then it gets fairly immediate attention. If something is going to make it hard for me to eat, drink, use the toilet, or shower it gets attention as soon as I can conveniently deal with it. If something is just a minor nuisance or inconvenience but it is not going to burn me, drown me, or keep me from being comfortable, then I deal with it during routine maintenance that I schedule for every week, month, and year.

There is always something to do on a boat, there is no such thing as having nothing that you need to do, but at least some of it can wait until you get done doing what you want to do. After all, if you make yourself a slave to the boat then you are just working, and you are not even getting paid for it.
Reality, clearly stated! I love to hear this stuff so much more than the unrealistic BS so often stated.

Bravo Sailor, bravo!
Old 07-01-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Reality, clearly stated! I love to hear this stuff so much more than the unrealistic BS so often stated.

Bravo Sailor, bravo!
Though my ancestors were from Spain and Germany I often suspect a frugal Scottish ancestor in there somewhere, because I am cheap as all get out, but then the German kicks in once I start working on something and it has to be done right or not at all. The fight between Scotland and Germany must rage at times in my DNA, because the frugal side knows better than to start a repair project because once started all that cheapheartedness has to be pushed aside.
davidpm and DougSabbag like this.

Tags
chainplates , passport 40