Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckedOutRob View Post
As the OP on this thread I should follow up on the title of this post.

I just did walk away from the Passport 40 this week. Long flight to WA to check it out. Needed new teak deck, engine oil in bilge, chainplates looked bad, leaks from saloon windows, ugliest mast I've ever seen -painted brown, mainsail shot, several diesel leaks, smelly head, dodger shot, rig had issues etc, etc.
BUT fantastic news!!!! I'm closing on an amazingly good shape Nordic 44 next week.
Congratulations on your new purchase! Make sure to post some pics and let us know how new ownership is going.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2013

Lurking and Looking is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your potential escape from a money pit.

I have read this post from the beginning as one of the boats I am looking at needing work... I suspect the owner wants to sell because of the $7,000 quote he got from the yard... this person is the type of person who is "beyond working on his own boat" , so ultimately it may benefit me.

But back on point, I can understand the attraction to titanium, but lets looks at a couple of issues not hit on;

1) chainplates rarely fail due to "rust through"...

2) if you do have rust on a chainplate, it shows you have a leak somewhere that you may not readily show up on a non rusting titanium chainplate.

3) titanium CAN FAIL - anything and everything man-made can and probably will fail at some point.

4) the idea that you can install titanium chainplates "and NEVER have to look at them again" is idiotic... at best you won't be replacing them any time soon. No sealant that you use to embed the caps to the deck will last "forever", not even butyl tape.

5) unless you have titanium caps made, your old stainless ones will rust while you ignore your chainplates.

6) how long do you plan on owning this boat?

Stainless chainplates have been in use for some time, easy to get, easy to make at almost any quality metal fabrication shop in the world.

Titanium has a "cool" factor and is expensive to tool, but may be hard to get in the middle of nowhere at a reasonable cost when your indistructable chainplates fails because you never looked at them again...

The idea of considering anything "maintenance free" is a scary thought when talking about a sailboat maybe 1,000 miles from any land...
Old 09-17-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

FWIW. I also need to change my chain plates. I have looked at many materials including titanium, silicon bronze, and 316 stainless. At one point I was going to go titanium, but the questionable source of the lower cost material and the high cost of US material put an end to that idea. The problem with machining the material also adds to the compexitity.

Next idea was to use silicon bronze. I did find a source of the silicon bronze but others have pointed out it might not be as strong as stainless and thus the plate may elongate over time or the clevis pin holes may elongate. I think silicon bronze would be ok (and many boats uses them) but I would want to make the plate thicker to compensate for pontential loss of strength. With my boat, make the plates thicker and or wider is complex and difficult as mounting would need modification.

So it looks like I will replace in kind with 316 stainless along with quality 316 ss nuts and bolts.

The other thing to think about is the bolts holding your chain plates. I have removed some of my 316 ss bolts and some have wasted away. So even if you have titanium plates, the bolts should also be titanium or you will still have problems with corrosion.
Old 09-18-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Friend recently replaced their chain plates with titanium. The chain plates included an elaborate weldment buried in a composite knee. Therefore, the cost to remove and reinstall the chainplates far exceeded the cost of the chainplates. These folks plan to undertake a fast circumnavigation shortly. Although their boat is 30 years old, the decision to go with titanium seems obvious given the construction and their sailing plans.

Their solution wouldn't fit others.

Tags
chainplates , passport 40