Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road
Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?

I'm about to fly out to a pre-purchase survey on a 1985 Passport 40. I looked at a survey done on this boat last year and apparently the chainplates are original on this '85 boat. Noted was some water evidence near one of the port chainplates. I'll need to replace them regardless and would like to know what I'm in for cost-wise. I'll need to get some 316 SS water jet cut for the new chainplates and open up the interior to get the chainplates in. I'll likely do some of the work myself but may or may not depending on yard policies.

Is this a $4,000 job or is it a $10,000+ job?? How much time would a yard take for this project? What would be a good yard for this in Washington?

My intent is crossing oceans and voyaging for many years. I intend to own this boat for a long time. I'm experienced and have crossed oceans and I build/repair inspect aircraft for a living so not afraid of complex jobs.

The survey indicates a newer Perkins installed in 2000 as well as several items I need such as wind vane and some newer sails and SSB and diesel cabin heat as well as some other recent upgrades.

I realize I'll need to do a refit. I'm hoping not to do a massive years long refit turning into a money-suck. That would be dumb. If you've replaced your chainplates I'd be interested in how that went and it's cost. ...And if you know of anyone on the west US with a Passport 40 who might be willing to sell -I'm buying.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Cost to Replace Chainplates? Should I Walk Away?

If I understand correctly, all of the standing rigging of a typical sailboat can only be absolutely counted on for 10 years. After that, you are officially "on your own".

Since it sounds like you are in the market for a used boat well beyond 10 years old, and you are going to: "My intent is crossing oceans and voyaging for many years." and with your statement: "I build/repair inspect aircraft for a living.." everything there says you will be replacing the standing rig, including the chainplates.

Compared to rebuilding a plane, replacing any chainplates should be childs' play to you.

I loved your statement: "I realize I'll need to do a refit. I'm hoping not to do a massive years long refit turning into a money-suck. That would be dumb."

If you are doing a refit, it will be long and will cost a lot. Calling this reality "dumb" is "funny" at the least.... :-)

Good luck in your purchase!
Old 06-28-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I don't think water jet is the best tool for cutting chainplates. It leaves a somewhat coarse edge that will need to be cleaned up to avoid corrosion. Personally I'd machine then (CNC or manual).

There is no way that a few custom machined bars of 316 stainless steel should cost $10k.
Old 06-28-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

One you would have to have really GOOD LUCK to find a boat with age X chainplates

The cost is very much how hidden the plates are which can range from fully exposed and easy to remove to absolutely unable to even see them

Making them again depends on what you are copying and there is nothing wrong with waterjet to make the shape it just a matter of to work necessary to finish the edges and bring the holes to final size compared to other methods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to tommays For This Useful Post:
CheckedOutRob (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

As a point of reference (every boat and project is different), we replaced all of our chainplates with the rig up - 2 at a time. had new ones custom fabricated at a local shop. Did a great job! Total cost was under $400 for the fab work. We did all the installation labor ourselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to paperbird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013

Well, refit is a relative word. I guess I meant offshore prep for safety. Refit seems to some to mean "replace everything". I think I used it incorrectly. Currently newer sails, refer, standing rigging instruments and engine indicate a concientious owner. I think a some of the people I see on the list are really brilliant with tools and then again some should not pick up a wrench.
I see the same thing in aircraft -people buy an aircraft with starry eyes then realize they do not have the federal licence to perform the work. Parts are a fortune and so is my labor -but I'm good and very fair. The aircraft sits a long time and sucks money and tie down fees. So I think I know mostly what I'm in for. I'm intently avoiding a "project" boat. I'm attempting to take emotion out of the purchase equation but boats are alluring little beasties.

I'd love to hear what someone who has done a chainplate r&r has to offer as advice on cost and time.
Old 06-28-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

its not the cost of the materials it is the labor from the yard that will put the job in the $6k range. no matter which way you choose to cut stainless you will need to finish the metal to a #7 finish ( mirror ) and passivate it if you want to prevent corrosion. water jet or Laser cut will give you just as good a finish as machining in which to start the sanding and polishing process and will cost a lot less. many boats have chainplates made of standard flat bar and only require being cut to length and drilled then polished. you can also buy flat bar that is already polished to a #7. a bit expensive but saves your on labor. if you think you will keep the boat more then ten years then go Titanium. expensive but no polishing is required to prevent corrosion.
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Whats to prevent the OP from replacing the chain plates one at a time? Couldn't the work be done while the mast is still up, the boat is in the water and the yard doesn't have to know about it? That would save him thousands of dollars.
zeehag and DougSabbag like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captainmeme For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-05-2013)
Old 06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I don't think water jet is the best tool for cutting chainplates. It leaves a somewhat coarse edge that will need to be cleaned up to avoid corrosion. Personally I'd machine then (CNC or manual).

There is no way that a few custom machined bars of 316 stainless steel should cost $10k.
-Hmmmm. I thought water jet cut absolutely razor clean edges? Hence the reason for water jet cutting recommendations on chain plates. I know the need to polish and then electropolish to remove stress risers after the cutting. Is your comment that water jet leaves rough edges conjecture or first hand? Jus wonderin. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Chainplates are just one item. I'm not familiar with the PP 40 construction. What about the bulkheads they are attached to? If they need repair or replacement that adds additional time and expense. If the surveyor only noted one point of water intrusion, you might not have a major issue there. Worth a close look. As Tommays mentioned, how accessible the chainplates are will either complicate or simplify the task ?

Then there's the standing rigging. But any vessel of that age is going to have needs of that nature that should be built in to the budget, unless they've already been addressed.

Tags
chainplates , passport 40