SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

calcium buildup in sanitation hoses

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Stu Jackson 
#1 ·
I replaced all my sanitation hoses less then 2 years ago and installed a y valve in the line. I had noticed that the y valve would not switch over all t he way so today I pulled it out and found there was significant buildup of calcium already. I normally use fresh water to flush so I was surprised to see so much buildup of calcium. I took the valve apart and soaked it in vinegar. The vinegar seemed to really loosen up the calcium so I was able to clean up nicely. Was wondering if running a couple of gallons of vinegar into the system and leaving it for a day would help to clear up the calcium deposits. Anyone ever tried that?

#3 ·
Vinigar will do nothing to calcium buildups.
Its a silly old sailors wives tale. Take a chunch of calcium out of the hose and put in it vinigar for a day/week/month/10 years and you will see it the same.

When you put on new hoses make sure you pump out all the fluid and then do 10 to 20 fast pumps that will pump air into the hose.

Mark

#5 ·
Vinegar is largely a waste of time. Muriatic acid might work but there are a lot of issues with that. As an alternative, pick up some RydLyme; Barnacle Buster or a similar product, run it through your lines and let it sit for a day or two and then thoroughly flush you system. In future, use something like Salt-Away, added to the final rinse of your head/waste lines after every use, and you won't have to deal with the matter again.

FWIW....

#8 ·
In the cruising communities around the world the sight of someone whaling a length of sanitation hose against a stern ladder or dock wall while wearing rubber gloves is a common one.

As a full time liveaboard I expect to do this about every two years.

I do have a length of spare hose too.

#9 ·
I sailed and lived aboard in the Bahamas for a lot of years and once I pounded the calcium out of those hoses vineger kept them clean from then on! Also it keeps the bowl white. If you leave the boat unattended for a while flush some veg. oil thru. to keep all those valves lubricated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.