Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens
Re: Solenoid switch does not shut off propane

Quote:
one line from the (enclosed, properly draining) propane locker under the helmsman's seat that then Tee-d off in the boat to serve the stove and the heater. I replaced ALL the propane lines and removed the Tee so that each appliance has a dedicated line that runs from the propane locker directly to the the appliance
Just, (maybe) a stupid thought, but could the solenoid valve be on the heater line and not on the stove line, as you have replaced all the pipework from the gas bottle??
Old 06-30-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipStevens View Post
Just, (maybe) a stupid thought, but could the solenoid valve be on the heater line and not on the stove line, as you have replaced all the pipework from the gas bottle??
Ah no, another good thought but not the problem. The solenoid is located before the line splits into separate lines (all within the propane locker). Each of these lines has their own separate valve (in addition to the valves on the tanks themselves) and only the one to the stove is open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens

Yet another (possibly stupid) thought. Is the solenoid fitted the right way around? Inlet and outlet - if the wrong way around, gas would always flow.
Old 06-30-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Call the #$%@# heads that installed the Xintex. You left your boat with the Thing On???

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
It's real easy to wire the valve to "on" So it's important to make sure it was wired properly. Not rocket science, but the terminal block on the xintex stuff can be a little confusing.
Some things bear repeating

my current "project"!
Old 06-30-2013

Quote:
Call the #$%@# heads that installed the Xintex. You left your boat with the Thing On???
Propane is positively turned off. Valves on the tanks themselves are off and the values that control flow into the separate lines (ALL within the propane locker) are off. I am pretty anal about only have the valves on when I'm actually using propane.

I decided against having the guys who installed it "fix" it because (a) if they screwed it up, I don't want them back and (b) if it is a bum solenoid--and so not their fault--then they aren't close to where the boat is now.

Wiring seems hard to screw up. The schematics that come with the Trident show two white wires that connect with the two black wired on the solenoid.

West River, MD
Old 06-30-2013

rdw is on a distinguished road

I am no expert on solenoids for propane but I do know that they are supposed to close via a spring when they fail or when there is no energy to they. I wonder if it were put in backwards (in the reverse of the flow of gas) could this cause your problem. If backwards the electrical magnetic field would open the valve but when no electrified the gas pressure would overcome the spring that would normally close the valve. I think I am correct that they can not be wired backward, i.e. they have two black wires not a negative and a positive. All they need is a current to develop magnetic field. Again this is just my wild guess but I would be very interested to here from you what you fine. The should be an arrow indicating the proper flow direction thru the valve.
rdw
Old 06-30-2013
Lies about her age

Page 5 if I have the right unit.
http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/manuals/S-2A%20Manual.pdf

my current "project"!
Old 06-30-2013

Quote:
Thanks Denise, but it is a Trident unit. P. 4 in the instructions. Wiring seems hard to screw up. But, who knows...

http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/d...nmanual181.pdf

West River, MD
Old 06-30-2013
Lies about her age

Betcha they hooked up one of the black wires from the sol, to the black "negative" wire on the control pad! Page 4

my current "project"!