SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Solenoid switch does not shut off propane

7K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  rioux.lm@bell.net 
#1 ·
Over the winter I had the yard install a Trident propane detector/shut off switch. There is power to the switch (mounted near the galley) because the display lights are on. HOWEVER, when I push the "off" button on the Trident switch the gas to the stove does NOT stop.

I'm guessing that solenoids work by closing when there is no electricity flowing to them and opening when there is. Is that right? (The reverse would seem inherently dangerous.)

So, if I check the leads at the solenoid (located in the propane locker) and find there is electricity there when the switch is "on" and none when it's "off" (but the propane still flows) then the solenoid is probably bad and needs to be replaced.

Is that right? Any other advice for diagnosing this?
Thanks!

#3 ·
Even if the solenoid is working, the stove will not shut off immediately... it can take a little while to burn up the propane in the line between the tank/solenoid and the stove, but it shouldn't keep burning indefinitely. Likewise, it can take a while to get propane back to the stove if the system hasn't been used in a while - in my case, 30 seconds to a minute before it will light.

#6 ·
Redline, if I close the valve on the propane tank or the valve on the manifold in the propane locker the stove goes out in 10 seconds. I figure the solenoid, which is in the same location, should act as quickly. But I've given it as much as 2 minutes and it has not gone out.

#5 ·
It's real easy to wire the valve to "on" So it's important to make sure it was wired properly. Not rocket science, but the terminal block on the xintex stuff can be a little confusing.

#7 ·
Jiminri, propane solenoids rarely fail "open". They are powered open and mechanically closed by a spring. Find the circuit which powers the solenoid and turn it off - on -off. See if the propane to the stove shuts off and/or you hear clicking. That will let you know if the solenoid is working properly. If the solenoid is working the detector is wired incorrectly. If the solenoid still won't turn off you will need to replace it.

#8 ·
This is what boatpoker said in a different thread. It doesn't shed any particular light on this odd problem, but I wonder if anyone had done any mods along the way to deal with this. Is the solenoid directly off the tank or buried somewhere and possibly by-passed?

.......Their propane systems are absolutely terrible with multiple connections and T's inside the boat........

#9 ·
Good thought, but that's not it. My boat originally had one line from the (enclosed, properly draining) propane locker under the helmsman's seat that then Tee-d off in the boat to serve the stove and the heater. I replaced ALL the propane lines and removed the Tee so that each appliance has a dedicated line that runs from the propane locker directly to the the appliance and the only connections are in the propane locker. Now ABYC compliant.

The solenoid is in the propane locker. If the solenoid is not stuck open (my original guess) then I suppose it continues to get electricity somehow even with the Trident display is switched off. I can try to disconnect the leads at the solenoid and see what happens. I thought I'd get to the boat today to try this but looking unlikely, maybe in a day or two.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.
Jim

#10 ·
I don't know if this is the cause of the OP's problem, but it is an issue that I had when I installed a propane system in my boat.

When the solenoid closes, it produces an inductive current in the wiring. In other words, the act of closing the solenoid produces a current in the wire in the opposite direction as the original current which opens the valve.
On my boat, this had the effect of blowing out my LED indicator light.
I had to install diodes in the wiring to effectively prevent the current from flowing backwards!

#11 ·
one line from the (enclosed, properly draining) propane locker under the helmsman's seat that then Tee-d off in the boat to serve the stove and the heater. I replaced ALL the propane lines and removed the Tee so that each appliance has a dedicated line that runs from the propane locker directly to the the appliance
Just, (maybe) a stupid thought, but could the solenoid valve be on the heater line and not on the stove line, as you have replaced all the pipework from the gas bottle??

#12 ·
Ah no, another good thought but not the problem. The solenoid is located before the line splits into separate lines (all within the propane locker). Each of these lines has their own separate valve (in addition to the valves on the tanks themselves) and only the one to the stove is open.

#16 ·
Propane is positively turned off. Valves on the tanks themselves are off and the values that control flow into the separate lines (ALL within the propane locker) are off. I am pretty anal about only have the valves on when I'm actually using propane.

I decided against having the guys who installed it "fix" it because (a) if they screwed it up, I don't want them back and (b) if it is a bum solenoid--and so not their fault--then they aren't close to where the boat is now.

Wiring seems hard to screw up. The schematics that come with the Trident show two white wires that connect with the two black wired on the solenoid.

#17 ·
I am no expert on solenoids for propane but I do know that they are supposed to close via a spring when they fail or when there is no energy to they. I wonder if it were put in backwards (in the reverse of the flow of gas) could this cause your problem. If backwards the electrical magnetic field would open the valve but when no electrified the gas pressure would overcome the spring that would normally close the valve. I think I am correct that they can not be wired backward, i.e. they have two black wires not a negative and a positive. All they need is a current to develop magnetic field. Again this is just my wild guess but I would be very interested to here from you what you fine. The should be an arrow indicating the proper flow direction thru the valve.
rdw

#23 ·
Hi
I work a lot with solenoid switches , there are some and you can look at it on the switch itself , that are NC normally close ,and other NO normally open ,
that means NC is close all the time , when powered it will open and the same for NO open all the time and when peered it will close .
the one for propane should be NC so when you need the propane you turn on the with and the valve should open
this valve open when the power create a magnetic field , (Electic magnet , and the magnet move a piece a metal inside the valve ,
first make sure there is power at both side of your switch, if yes look at the 2 wires that connect you solenoid , if yes , the solenoid is probable defect , take it off the propane line , and bring it inside ,look at it , maybe duty , there is lots of sulfur in propane , for the smell, (safety in case of leak ) , sometimes it can block the valve
Good luck , Happy wind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.