Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Solenoid switch does not shut off propane

Over the winter I had the yard install a Trident propane detector/shut off switch. There is power to the switch (mounted near the galley) because the display lights are on. HOWEVER, when I push the "off" button on the Trident switch the gas to the stove does NOT stop.

I'm guessing that solenoids work by closing when there is no electricity flowing to them and opening when there is. Is that right? (The reverse would seem inherently dangerous.)

So, if I check the leads at the solenoid (located in the propane locker) and find there is electricity there when the switch is "on" and none when it's "off" (but the propane still flows) then the solenoid is probably bad and needs to be replaced.

Is that right? Any other advice for diagnosing this?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Solenoid switch does not shut off propane

Station someone near the propane locker and activate the solenoid. There should be a quite loud "click" from the solenoid. no clickee no workee .
rugosa likes this.
Old 06-29-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

Even if the solenoid is working, the stove will not shut off immediately... it can take a little while to burn up the propane in the line between the tank/solenoid and the stove, but it shouldn't keep burning indefinitely. Likewise, it can take a while to get propane back to the stove if the system hasn't been used in a while - in my case, 30 seconds to a minute before it will light.
Old 06-29-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Also when solenoid is powered ON (open, gas on) it gets warm, some might say hot, quickly.
bigdogandy likes this.
Old 06-29-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

It's real easy to wire the valve to "on" So it's important to make sure it was wired properly. Not rocket science, but the terminal block on the xintex stuff can be a little confusing.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Even if the solenoid is working, the stove will not shut off immediately... it can take a little while to burn up the propane in the line between the tank/solenoid and the stove, but it shouldn't keep burning indefinitely. Likewise, it can take a while to get propane back to the stove if the system hasn't been used in a while - in my case, 30 seconds to a minute before it will light.
Redline, if I close the valve on the propane tank or the valve on the manifold in the propane locker the stove goes out in 10 seconds. I figure the solenoid, which is in the same location, should act as quickly. But I've given it as much as 2 minutes and it has not gone out.

West River, MD
Old 06-30-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Jiminri, propane solenoids rarely fail "open". They are powered open and mechanically closed by a spring. Find the circuit which powers the solenoid and turn it off - on -off. See if the propane to the stove shuts off and/or you hear clicking. That will let you know if the solenoid is working properly. If the solenoid is working the detector is wired incorrectly. If the solenoid still won't turn off you will need to replace it.
Old 06-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

This is what boatpoker said in a different thread. It doesn't shed any particular light on this odd problem, but I wonder if anyone had done any mods along the way to deal with this. Is the solenoid directly off the tank or buried somewhere and possibly by-passed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
.......Their propane systems are absolutely terrible with multiple connections and T's inside the boat........

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is what boatpoker said in a different thread. It doesn't shed any particular light on this odd problem, but I wonder if anyone had done any mods along the way to deal with this. Is the solenoid directly off the tank or buried somewhere and possibly by-passed?
Good thought, but that's not it. My boat originally had one line from the (enclosed, properly draining) propane locker under the helmsman's seat that then Tee-d off in the boat to serve the stove and the heater. I replaced ALL the propane lines and removed the Tee so that each appliance has a dedicated line that runs from the propane locker directly to the the appliance and the only connections are in the propane locker. Now ABYC compliant.

The solenoid is in the propane locker. If the solenoid is not stuck open (my original guess) then I suppose it continues to get electricity somehow even with the Trident display is switched off. I can try to disconnect the leads at the solenoid and see what happens. I thought I'd get to the boat today to try this but looking unlikely, maybe in a day or two.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.
Jim

West River, MD
Old 06-30-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this is the cause of the OP's problem, but it is an issue that I had when I installed a propane system in my boat.

When the solenoid closes, it produces an inductive current in the wiring. In other words, the act of closing the solenoid produces a current in the wire in the opposite direction as the original current which opens the valve.
On my boat, this had the effect of blowing out my LED indicator light.
I had to install diodes in the wiring to effectively prevent the current from flowing backwards!