SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Question Regarding Rudder S2 Model 8B (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100924-question-regarding-rudder-s2-model-8b.html)

GaryMasse 06-29-2013 07:27 PM

Question Regarding Rudder S2 Model 8B

Hello, I am the recent owner of an S2 Model 8B 26 footer. The rudder is a swing model with no cables. Is it normal that the rudder can swing 360 degrees. There are no stoppers and can be challenging backing up at times out of boat slip.
Does anyone no if this is normal.

Thanks,

Gary

deniseO30 06-29-2013 08:48 PM

Re: Question Regarding Rudder S2 Model 8B

Gary WELCOME TO SAILNET! Yes, some will and can completely reverse, It helps make room in the cockpit for sure :) Backing up can be hard to get used to with a tiller, they tend to over power the unsuspecting person when going in Rev. Are you inboard or outboard engined?

http://sailboatdata.com/imagehelper.asp?file_id=7856

GaryMasse 06-29-2013 08:56 PM

Hi Denise,
The boat is powered by an 9.9hp outboard .

Thanks,

Gary

I neglected to mention that I have a wheel and not a tillar.

Thanks again,

Gary

timangiel 06-30-2013 07:37 PM

I have an S2 8.0B with wheel steering and I can tell you that mine does not turn 360 degrees. These boats were not made with wheel steering to my knowledge. If you have wheel steering it was an aftermarket add on. Do you know what kind of steering wheel you have? an Edson maybe?

deniseO30 06-30-2013 08:20 PM

So, Gary I guess you have gears rather then cables moving the rudder. which I guess is why it can do 360s Sure would love to see photos of that set up!

olson34 07-01-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryMasse (Post 1051889)
Hi Denise,
The boat is powered by an 9.9hp outboard .

Thanks,

Gary

I neglected to mention that I have a wheel and not a tillar.

Thanks again,

Gary

The prior owner must have run into a salesman that commonly sold ice boxes to Eskimos.:rolleyes:

Get rid of the wheel, once you solve the riddle the 360 degree rudder.
A wheel in a boat that small just makes the boat harder to sail and takes up cockpit room.

That's a good boat design, by the way. I know a couple that has put many hundreds of miles on their S2 26, on summer vacations in Puget Sound and the Gulf Islands. That particular boat was converted to a Betamarina diesel IB several years ago, and travels to distant cruising grounds on a 3-axle trailer. :)

GaryMasse 07-01-2013 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting, no I do not know the make of the wheel but will inquire. So it is not normal for the rudder to turn 360. I have attached an image of the gear. The remainder is simply a rod that runs through a pipe to the rudder. I have attached a photo.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Gary

GaryMasse 07-03-2013 09:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14757
Quote:

Originally Posted by timangiel (Post 1052323)
I have an S2 8.0B with wheel steering and I can tell you that mine does not turn 360 degrees. These boats were not made with wheel steering to my knowledge. If you have wheel steering it was an aftermarket add on. Do you know what kind of steering wheel you have? an Edson maybe?

Hello, I tried to locate the name of the wheel but there is no reference. On the survey they simply make reference to the rudder is aided by a rack and pignion mechanism and the shaft to to the rudder runs through a fiberglass tube. Everyone makes reference to having stoppers but I have no idea where this would be located. I have added again a picture of the gear system as well as a top view of the upper mechanism with gears, which are apparently in need of some grease. hopefully this may help someone to point me in the right direction,

Thanks again,

Gary

deniseO30 07-03-2013 09:20 PM

Gary it looks very well made and built by someone that knew what they were doing. I Guess you could weld or drill a block of metal at the place on the gear where you would want the stops to be.

GaryMasse 07-03-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 1054138)
Gary it looks very well made and built by someone that knew what they were doing. I Guess you could weld or drill a block of metal at the place on the gear where you would want the stops to be.

Thanks Denise, that was one option I was considering.

Gary