Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuel in oil - where to start?

If the oil level is over the full mark or higher than when you last changed the oil, it is likely that the fuel is seeping through the carb into the pan. Even with good compression readings the fuel would probably seep past the rings. As mentioned earlier if the air/fuel mix through the carb was that rich it probably wouldn't run at all or if it did there would be lots of black smoke. If, when you first start it you blow a lot of smoke which eventually cleans out, it is likely seepage. If it never cleans out then the air/fuel mix through the carb is likely. Both could be caused by a faulty float valve. Pictures?

Let us know what you find.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2013

Skagit is on a distinguished road

OK...carb is off and rebuild kit is ordered from Sweden (sheesh). There was quite a bit of varnish and the main gasket was ripped.

Now that I'm into it more, I don't have a good feeling about this. I changed the oil again and the new oil I just put in came out milky and smelled like fuel after 10 minutes of running. This is an updraft carb, so a gravity leak is out. I'm now concerned it's a water leak AND a fuel leak. Head gasket? Cracked manifold or block? PO's going to get a love letter for sure...

Old 07-11-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skagit View Post
OK...carb is off and rebuild kit is ordered from Sweden (sheesh). There was quite a bit of varnish and the main gasket was ripped.

Now that I'm into it more, I don't have a good feeling about this. I changed the oil again and the new oil I just put in came out milky and smelled like fuel after 10 minutes of running. This is an updraft carb, so a gravity leak is out. I'm now concerned it's a water leak AND a fuel leak. Head gasket? Cracked manifold or block? PO's going to get a love letter for sure...
If a gravity leak is out it must be an overly rich condition through the carb. Does it run rough and smoke? It will be interesting to see what the re-built carb does?

"Milky oil"? doesn't sound good. If you are lucky it is just a head gasket. There are fluorescent dyes you can put in the coolant that may help show where the leak(s) are coming from.

Paul T
Old 07-11-2013
Just A Member

Dick6969 is on a distinguished road

gas in the oil has to come from the needle seat does not have enough pressure from float, runs in manifold down by rings into oil... on a motorcycle that is.

Last edited by Dick6969; 07-11-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2013
Banned

Quote:
No...new fuel line is direct...tank -> pump -> regulator -> carb.
Is the old mechanical pump still on the engine? If so, are there any fuel lines still attached to it?

Paul T
Old 07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Is the old mechanical pump still on the engine? If so, are there any fuel lines still attached to it?

Paul T
Hey Paul-

No, old pump has been removed and the hole was covered with a bracket for the new one.

Old 07-11-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

milky oil almost certainly is a water contamination.
water contamination + fuel contamination = pretty much certainly a head gasket issue.

If you pull out a pint of oil and let it stand overnight in a tall bottle, like an olive jar, the oil and water usually will settle out visibly, confirming that it is water.

Check out the old Landrover field repair manuals, they detail how to take a fresh antelope hide and use it as a field replacement for a blown head gasket. The same can be done with the hide of the PO's back.
Old 07-11-2013

I have some of the mystery goo in a jar to see what happens. So far it hasn't separated. I've got some water detection paste coming that should answer the question for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Check out the old Landrover field repair manuals, they detail how to take a fresh antelope hide and use it as a field replacement for a blown head gasket. The same can be done with the hide of the PO's back.
You may be on to something there...

Old 07-11-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

>>water detection paste
Thieving paste! As it used to be called, used on dipsticks to check fuel tanks. IIRC turns purple if there is water. You must have found that on the internet, most shops swear it can't possibly exist, and it certainly ain't sold at the local parts-r-us franchise.
Old 07-11-2013
Banned

Quote:
Hey Paul-

No, old pump has been removed and the hole was covered with a bracket for the new one.
Oh my, thought maybe I was on to something. "No gravity leak" As I see it the fuel has to come through the carb when it is running. As the crankcase runs under very minimal vacuum, if the PCV valve is working properly, the only other thing I can think of is the fuel puddling in the intake manifold somewhere and then running, by gravity, though the rings?

When it is running does it smoke as if the choke was left on?

Paul T

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.