Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Lack of Confidence

In looking at your blog the boat would appear to be in fairly good condition ?

It certainly does not look in stress you out condition

BUT for example you do not need to remove the prop to clean barnacles off it ,a snorkel and scraper should have it fine in 15 minutes

The electric should become less imtiadating after doing some reading in various books like the 12 volt bible so you reach the point of understanding how to test each circut for function

Is the wiring confusing due to a lack of experience or is it a tangled patched mess that's best cut up and thrown away ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 07-01-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Chin up, Ryan...it'll all work out

Cramped down in the controls deck? BTDT, my friend LOL I added a new, GFI recept to that side of the bulkhead for the charger. When I'm plugged into the dock, charger's ON .

Tommays showed me that self-same photo a while back...and it helped. Short term? Run a good extension for the tunes. When ya finally get around to doin the wiring; THEN tackle it all at once .AFA the mastlight? I went/am going thru this with mine, too. I'm gonna end up replacing the glued up, tape and bailing wire repaired one with a new LED MH lite/deck lite eventually....once I get enuff other stuff to do up the mast

Scraper? Snorkel? Mask? Check, check and check! Shoot! It;s not down *that* far! I just recently checked mine by feel, as the Chessie's just too damm'd dark ta see anything LOL

Best to ya,
Paul
jimgo and TheWollard like this.

Last edited by deltaten; 07-01-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2013

riburton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to riburton

If everything worked when you bought it, your problems are probably not as bad as they seem. You probably have some corrosion issues on connections. Check all wires to see if they are tight by trying to pull them apart, especially crimped connections on butt connections. Go behind the panel and check all connections on your circuit breakers or fuses if you have them. If you have a controller for the solar panels check to see if it is working. Normally they flash every couple of seconds if operating normally. You can check the output of the solar panels by just disconnecting them from the controller and putting a vm on the output. On the AC it sounds like you are getting shorepower but no charging. You would probably see about 13.4 if they were being charged. You can make do with an auto battery charger for awhile but consider a marine unit that is both a charger and an inverter, but costly.
Old 07-01-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

I replaced the broken cockpit drain. The lower portion which is hose clamped had broken sheer below the cockpit floor. Without the fix, water could flow directly into my engine room then into the bilge. I'm not small, and enlisted the help of my step mother after a failed attempt to squeeze my 235 lbs./6'4" frame through the small opening behind my transmission and diesel tank. She was a hero, and we finished the job. Getting her out of there took a few minutes.

I was feeling pressured to remove the prop for grinding by my dad, but I'm with you guys. I will just scrape it tomorrow at the beach. Clear shallow water, plus my daughter can swim and play.

I will follow the advice of Harborless, thanks by the way, and see what I can discover. My system is odd. I may take pictures and post them as I follow the lines from the solar panels inward. There are portions of the system which I believe are old and no longer in use. Now I need to prove it. I wasn't able to reach an electrician anyways. The electrical system is certainly the most daunting to me.

My Dad works closely with West Marine, and has a discount card. I saved $40 off list price and bought a Bosun's chair. Still pricey, but I assume I will need it again in the future. Using it will be a grand adventure.

I probably should have mentioned my goals at first. I bought this boat and sailed her 200 NM to Islamorada. She summered here, while I was recouping financially with $0 slip fees.
I need to get her north to Titusville before Hurricane season really kicks into gear. At this point I'm preparing for that trip which will begin soon.
jimgo likes this.

Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Good luck brother. I left out one crucial step that was mentioned above. Make sure ALL connections are TIGHT. Loose connections explain why your system works but not correctly. Im willing to bed this is your problem. Finding it will be the tough part. Follow steps 1 thru 7 and add in checking each connection for tightness. If you redo any connections use good crimpers and heat shrink it.
good luck.
Old 07-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

One step at a time, amigo. Prioritize things, and figure out what can be skipped if you NEED to leave in a hurry. The prop is a pretty big deal, as that will help you get away faster. Ensure engine and drive train are in good shape, and you are a good way there. AA-based products can replace most of the electronics in a pinch.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

BTW, your step-mom is a trooper! I hope you bought her a nice dinner at Ziggu's (if its still there) or another such place, or at least some flowers!
TheWollard likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-01-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

I have been afraid of electrocution during this process. I don't know what is safe and what is not, so I assume that touching things is not safe.

Do you tighten the connections behind the breakers with the battery selector In the off position?

Do you remove the main cables to the batteries if you are recharging batteries using an extension chord and shore power? Or do you simply clamp on start charging?

Jim, she really was a trooper. I am planning to buy her lunch tomorrow. Ziggies is still there, and so are about 5 other Fantastic options. Islamorada has evolved into quite the culinary destination. We have some great restaurants.

Old 07-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
I am guessing
Bingo.
Okay, look, this is what i do best:
Be the big meany who whacks you with the reality stick.
I have been there, done that when it comes to lost confidence.
Hell, I lose confidence in myself on a daily basis.
The solution is to quit guessing.
Break the unsurmountable into the easily-doable.
1. Sit down and make a list of what needs to be done.
2. sit down and make a list of what resources you need to learn how to do what needs to be done.
3. Get a copy of Don Casey's "This Old Boat" whihc will answer most of the issues raised in 2..
4. Get the tools you need to accomplish what 3. requires to deal with 2..
5. It's not rocket surgery- it's just understadning that you don't know what you don't know, and knowing the you know what you know. and learnign to know what you don't know....
y'know?

It;s all easy stuff, once you have the tools and the experience to know that it is all easy stuff, and the only way to get the tools and experience is to do it.
utchuckd likes this.

Last edited by bljones; 07-01-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I'm finding that restoring/improving my 34 year old boat is a mix of DIY and contracting out when I'm over my head or when I think my lack of skill will simply take too long. I'm trying to do as much as I can myself, and many of these projects are things that I've never done before. Prioritizing is a hard part ... Sometimes it is just what I can will myself to do at the moment. My wife is complaining about the number of boat maintenance manuals that I have scattered around our house.