Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Lack of Confidence

If you plan to use the bosuns chair, be sure to read up on how to do so safely. Whomever is going to grind you up and then tend you down is also a critical piece of the puzzle. But, you should have the ability to self rescue, such as a prusik tied to a separate standing line.
TheWollard likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Not to sidetrack, but how was the sail to Islamorada? How long did it take?
BTW, I know EXACTLY what you mean about confidence. The worst is when you think you can finish a project, only to find out that you can't, or that project reveals another problem.
Old 07-02-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Not to sidetrack, but how was the sail to Islamorada? How long did it take?
BTW, I know EXACTLY what you mean about confidence. The worst is when you think you can finish a project, only to find out that you can't, or that project reveals another problem.
It was a fun trip that took 4 days from Port Charlotte to Lower Matecumbe Key. This includes sailing in shifts overnight one of the nights. We ran into some big wind on our bow rounding Cape Sable and had to detour down to Big Pine Key then sail back up to Islamorada.

I am feeling good this morning. I know what I want to accomplish today.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Awesome, hope today goes well!
Knowing that there will be more trips like that shows that there is a light at the end of the project tunnel!
Old 07-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Here's a confidence booster. Working on your boat is not like working on a computer, where you may delete the hard drive without knowing it.

It is highly unlikely that you would get into a project and cause it to cost more to pay someone to finish it, then it would have cost to have them do it in the first place. You have nothing to lose. In fact, you will win this game more often than you tie.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
I have been afraid of electrocution during this process. I don't know what is safe and what is not, so I assume that touching things is not safe.
If you are REALLY scared, unplug from shore power, and disconnect the batteries. Then you KNOW you can't be electricuted and you can work safely. That's the safest approach, and really the best practice, especially if you are working behind the panel.

As a practical matter, you don't need to stress too much. I've done a lot of electrical wiring in my home, and been shocked several times (sometimes I'm too lazy to disconnect the power when swapping out switches). It will make you jump, but unless you have heart problems or other such issues, the quick jolt will be just that. I'm not saying you should set out to shock yourself, especially for a long time, but an accidental bump shouldn't be that bad. And a bump on the 12V circuit should be even less of an issue.

Also, if you're working on part of the circuit between the breaker and the battery, then you've got potential (no pun intended) issues if the battery isn't disconnected. However, if you're working on the part of the circuit AFTER the breaker, simply turn the breaker off. That shuts off the power to the entire circuit on which you are working.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-02-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

This afternoon we experienced a big storm in the keys. Wind gusts over 45 kts and heavy rain.

I spent the morning behind my fuse panel trying to make sense of the world. I disconnected the batteries, which are getting a fresh charge. I also removed quite a few snipped wires and connections which were obviously no longer in use.

Battery 1 is on the charger, and 2 is next.

The weather has kept me out of the water. Lightning strikes were fairly close by as the storm raged. No progress on my barnacle collector/prop.

I tightened all of the connections behind my fuses. One wire is too short and needs to be replaced. It keeps popping out of its crimp. Not the stereo though, it is the navigation lights fuse. I still have no idea why the stereo won't turn on. I am hoping the full charge will make a difference.

It's lightly raining now. The worst of the storm has passed. I am in the cabin enjoying the rain sounds and the borrowed west marine ac unit on Shore power. Even when frustrated, I love this more than anything else.

I've been routing my next trip to Titusville, and am excited. I am hoping for a nice weather window and outside sailing past MiamiLauderPalm metropolis and all of the bridges in that area.
jimgo likes this.

Old 07-02-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Just follow each wire to its connection point and test. You cannot electrocute yourself with three batteries even in parallel (the max voltage will only be 36V) If your that concerned slip on a pair of latex rubber gloves and get crackin.
Old 07-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on going after a project that had intimidated you! I'm glad you screwed up enough courage to give it a go. Hopefully you've seen that at least this basic stuff really isn't that bad. Especially when you're working in an airconditioned boat.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-02-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Our boat is a 27 too, built in 1977.

When we bought her in August, most of the electrical system was cut out by the PO owner. By that, I mean the batteries and panel were removed, all wiring was still in place. It took me 3 days and filled 3 garbage bags full of 16 and 14 gauge wire. I spent an entire 3 day weekend removing wire. I wish I had taken pictures of the process.

I've started rewiring the boat and to this day, I sit here and think "I'm doing something wrong" because I have so little wire in the boat compared to before. It blows my mind that a boat with such a simple electrical system had such an astonishing amount of wire.

We will inevitably end up with a larger boat at some point, one that wasn't in the state we bought our current boat in. I am so OCD about wiring that I am not sure how I'm going to handle owning a boat and having to maintain an electrical system that I didn't put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
I tightened all of the connections behind my fuses. One wire is too short and needs to be replaced. It keeps popping out of its crimp.
One thing I learned, bite the bullet now and spend at least $120 on a good set of crimpers. Too many people buy those cheap hand destroyers to do their crimps and they inevitably fail. It's worth the investment, you could hang a brick off good crimps.

Quote:
I've been routing my next trip to Titusville, and am excited. I am hoping for a nice weather window and outside sailing past MiamiLauderPalm metropolis and all of the bridges in that area.
What is your plan?

We spent 6 months at Titusville Muni, 2 on the hard at Westland. The people in both spots are wonderful. It wasn't the nicest or most convenient stop we made on our trip south from JAX, but the marina is nice and folks are friendly.

Make sure you stop by Cocoa Village for a little while too, it's a nice area and worth the stop. The town is better than Titusville and things are more convenient from the marina.
bljones likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.