Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-02-2013

tsell is on a distinguished road
West Marine brand depth sounder

My boat came with a West Marine Branded depth sounder, with the transducer in a well located behind the fresh water tank under the v berth. It turns on fine, I can set the depth alarms, but the depth does not display correctly. When first turned on it beeps once, shows 1.1 feet for about 10 seconds, then it will jump to 16.2 feet. Every 5 seconds after that the depth will increase up to about 52 feet, then it will drop back to 16.2 and the cycle starts again.

The transducer cable seems to be integral to the transducer. I checked the cable for obvious damage and found none. Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: West Marine brand depth sounder

What should the depth read? What is the real depth where the boat is? My guess is that the problem is in the instrument head where the electronics are. Transducers normally work or they don't provide a reading at all. They normally have a non-removeable wire coming out of them. Perhaps there is marine growth on the transducer's face under the boat, making it hard for it to get a reading. Maybe the face has many layers of antifouling paint which may confuse the unit? If these possibilities are not it, then remove the head and bring to an electronics repair shop for testing. Alternately, call West Marine to learn manufacturer to send it to for testing / repair.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2013

The depth at the dock is just over 4 feet at low tide, up to 12 or 13 at high. I will try cleaning the transducer head, as it does have some scale build up. There is no anti fouling on it since it is inside the hull. If that doesn't work, I will try to have the instrument head tested.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-03-2013

justified is on a distinguished road

Tsell

You said the transducer is in a well. How is it mounted to the hull? Do you have a solid glass/epoxy hull or is it cored? If you hull is not solid glass you most likely will not get an accurate reading. If solid glass/epoxy the are a couple different ways to mount the transducer. 1. in a bed of silicone so there is no space between the head and the hull, or 2. in a mineral oil bath - take a tupperware container and scribe to the hull attach with 5200 mount the transducer to the lid fill with oil and put the lid on. I have used that method on both of my boats and it works perfect.

Peter
Old 07-03-2013

Peter, thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't very clear in my description. The transducer is in a bath already. When I got the boat is was filled with water, which I emptied when the boat was hauled. The hull is solid fiberglass, no core, and since it was already mounted that way, I figured it must have worked at some point in its current configuration. I did paint the bottom this spring, after scraping off the loose paint and sanding lightly. there was what looked like 2 coats on already, but much of it scraped down to the hull. I am not sure about the area directly under the transducer. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow when I get to the dock.
Old 07-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I would suck out any water in the "well" and get a container of mineral oil, fill it almost to the top, slip in the transducer and see if that helps. Not sure why water would not work, but the mineral oil seems to work better.