SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Possible replacement of head.... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/101005-possible-replacement-head.html)

Dgreengl 07-02-2013 10:30 AM

Possible replacement of head....

I recently purchased a 1974 Pearson 26. She is in very good shape overall and I am pleased and excited. I have been looking into all of her systems and am a bit unsure about her head setup. She has a pump toilet with a Kracor Rentention System with a deck mounted waste drain and I believe a back flush hose connection and proper venting. I have read that this system "reuses" flushed water each time the toiled is flushed and that it can be a rather unpleasant setup. Am considering replacing it with a standalone MSD which might be more pleasant to live with. Am also thinking that the replacement could be hooked up to the existing waste drain. I have not used the head yet as she is on a slip with great showers and toilets close by. Before I make any changes, has anyone had any experience or knowledge of these Kracor systems and if so, I would love some feedback as the best direction to take. I would be OK with keeping it as is if there is concensus that this is a good solution as it stands. Thanks in advance for any feedback....

Gladrags1 07-03-2013 05:49 AM

Re: Possible replacement of head....

I have no experience with that unit but why don't you try it for yourself to see its characteristics for yourself?

Tod

Minnewaska 07-03-2013 06:34 AM

I've never seen one in person and from what I've heard, I'm glad I haven't. You are supposed to begin by putting a bit of water and nuclear disinfecting chemicals in the tank, which will be drawn into the bowl to flush. The next flush does reuse the now mixed contents and so on. The more you use the head, the more mixing. I recall other similar systems on commuter trains and never used one that wasn't gross or didn't smell. That thought of that dark blue fluid gives me the shivers.

Perhaps my biggest objection would be unnecessarily dumping the disinfectant chemicals into the environment. Even if it is pumped out, it has to go somewhere. Decomposed untreated waste is not the same problem for nature.

Dgreengl 07-03-2013 12:36 PM

I agree with your comments Minnewaska... That is why I am seriously considering removing the system and installing something else. However, I thought it best to see if anyone has had any experience with this before as I believe this system may have been standard on P26's of that vintage.

Gladrags, the reason I have yet to try it is that the boat is in Ithaca, an hour away from me and I have had to return home for the work week. Am headed up there this afternoon and will be trying the head out and exploring deeper into how it does work. Certainly if there are mechanical issues with the unit as it exists now, that will make my decision making process a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the feedback. Would appreciate any other insight anyone else might have....

miatapaul 07-03-2013 07:36 PM

Alright, I have my popcorn popped so I will go ahead and say it...

get a composting head and get rid of all that plumbing and stink!

Minnewaska 07-04-2013 06:47 AM

I'm usually an opponent of the composter, but an inland lake is a candidate. Still, they are rough for guest to get used to.

For strictly day sailing, a porta potty is also better than a holding tank, other than the chemicals. Of course, you still have to clean it.

Is there a pump out right where you keep your boat? That would be the only way I would want a holding tank on an inland lake,where I presume you only day sail. Going elsewhere to pump, every time before you leave, would get weary.