SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Boom Line Set Up? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/101057-boom-line-set-up.html)

Goatman24 07-03-2013 08:50 PM

Boom Line Set Up?

1 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a 1965 Whistler 11' sailboat and am trying to figure out the rigging correctly. I need to know the correct route for the boom line. (Not sure of the technical term). I've attached a picture to show what I've got but am puzzled as to where to tie the end of the line.

I have added a pulley over the keel area and then another pulley on a spring. Then next to that a cam lock to tie that end down with.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the non technical terms.

Mitch

marcusc130 07-03-2013 11:10 PM

Boom Line Set Up?

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

The line running across the stern of the boat is called the traveller. The "boom line" is called the main sheet. You want the main sheet to go from the pulley on the traveller, up to the aft end of the boom, along the bottom of the boom, and then to a cam cleat probably located on the cockpit floor to secure it. Rig that pulley so it can slide along the traveller.

arisatx 07-04-2013 09:03 AM

Re: Boom Line Set Up?

Mitch:
Why don't you post another picture that shows the entire boom and mast (from the gooseneck down)? In the meantime you could look at the Harken site here for ideas on how these systems are typically reeved.

arisatx 07-04-2013 09:05 AM

Mitch:
Google can be you friend:

http://sailboatdata.com/imagehelper.asp?file_id=8605

Goatman24 07-04-2013 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, the old line used on the traveler had a knot tied to the pulley which I'll need to undo on the new line. Not sure why they would have had it tied.

The main sheet comes up from the traveler but where is it tied to before going through that pulley on the traveler? :confused:

The other end I think I have good as you described. Originally, there was only one pulley on the end of the boom. I've added another almost to where the keel is. Then I added another pulley mounted with a spring onto the top of the keel and then next to that the cleat cam to tie it down. I've added another picture but the cleat cam was not added yet when I took the picture.

I also want to add cleat cams to hold the jib lines but am not sure if they would go say 18" towards the bow or 18" towards the stern on the side rails.

Thanks for your time.

Goatman24 07-04-2013 09:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ted, yes a picture is worth a thousand words. I did use the picture you sent along with some others I pulled up as a guide. When I was at WM yesterday I spoke to a customer who sails that didn't think the main sheet went to the bottom ring of the boom as it looks like it does in the picture you showed.

I'm going to add several other pictures I have and any advice or suggestions would be a big help.

There was a couple connections missing and I temporarily just tied the line to the top of jib. Yesterday I purchased some and although they aren't like the one pictured I think they'll work. The original looks like it was tied with a string to the brass looking connector.

Thanks a bunch.

arisatx 07-04-2013 09:35 AM

Mitch:

The aft end of the mainsheet goes thru the block on the traveller line and then back up and ties to the aft end of the boom. (see pic above).

Looks like the block on the traveller runs free (see pic below)

http://www.sailmfg.com/whistler/pict...r-Images/1.jpg

Goatman24 07-04-2013 09:41 AM

That makes sense to me.

From the last picture you posted it looks like the jib lines would be cleated down on the cleat cams over the keel. I'm not sure if I could do that now that I've got the main sheet coming down there. Does what I said about putting them either before the pulley on the side or after the pulley on the side make sense? I'm thinking towards the aft end so they would be easier to reach from the rear of the boat.

Mitch

arisatx 07-04-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatman24 (Post 1054321)
From the last picture you posted it looks like the jib lines would be cleated down on the cleat cams over the keel.

Mitch

Mitch - I'm no expert on Whistler's, but if you look at the first picture, it appears the jib sheets ("jib lines") come down to the outboard cleats midships and not to any cleats on the centerline (keel). This will define the jib sheet lead angle and is important to get your desired sail shape. You could attach a block ("pulley") at this point and run your jib sheet aft where it would be within reach.

Your best bet would be to find other Whistler owners to see what they've done to tune their setup.

deniseO30 07-04-2013 10:22 AM

MItch, here's a free online book for rigging small boats. Read it you will know what to do. good luck
Rigging Small Sailboats - Title page
Chapter 1 ...introduction
Chapter 2 ...rigs and sails
Chapter 3 ...spars
Chapter 4 ...standing rigging
Chapter 5 ...running rigging
Chapter 6 ...deck fittings
Chapter 7 ...installing fittings to the hull
Chapter 8 ...outfitting spars
Chapter 9 ...rigging the boat
Chapter 10 ...daggerboards and centerboards
Chapter 11 ...rigging maintenance