Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker

I would do both. An access cover into a sealed locker -and- the hawse pipe that was shown above. The rode and chain can go through the pipe and you can open the inspection cover to help feed it through, without having to worry about beating anything up

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I keep mine in a cockpit locker as well. The anchor lives back there too. I don't like hanging anchors on my pulpit because they tend to be good at snagging and ripping spinnakers! I don't anchor very often, but If I need it I can grab the anchor and chain and carry it forward, and the rode will feed out of the locker as I need it. When rafting I offer to set the stern hook!
I took the PO's anchor hangars off the pulpit because it was catching on the genoa and spinnakers. If you use the light stretchy anchor line approach to anchoring, you can easily store it in a cockpit locker with your anchor. Removing as much weight as possible from the ends of the boat helps the motion in a seaway as well.
Old 07-06-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

I "struggle" with this, too. Age will probably prevail or we buy a bigger boat with a bow roller. I have no bow roller now. I have designed one and built a cardboard mock up for fitting and to take to the fabricator to have it built. It sits on a shelf ready for the day I throw in the towel. I don't want an ugly "hook" sticking out of the bow of my boat. I do have an anchor locker in the deck at the bow. Rode and chain and a Danforth fit. When we use a Rocna that won't fit in the bow locker we store it in a cockpit locker. To set it I run the chain outside the stanchions, shackle on the anchor and launch from the cockpit. It works fine. I can set it myself. Not very convenient but manageable. I hand over hand the chain back into the bow locker and remove the Rocna for stowing. I think it is the "hand over hand" retrieve that will make the decision on a roller and a windless.
Old 07-06-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I took the PO's anchor hangars off the pulpit because it was catching on the genoa and spinnakers. If you use the light stretchy anchor line approach to anchoring, you can easily store it in a cockpit locker with your anchor. Removing as much weight as possible from the ends of the boat helps the motion in a seaway as well.
So are you reffering to a specific type of line? My whole setup needs to be reevaluated including the rode. My small anchor which gets used the most only has 80' of old rode.
Old 07-06-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

look at it this way.. keeping the anchor in the cockpit lockers makes it easier to drop the hook singlehanded...

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I do have a small storage space in the very tip of the V birth but it's not properly sealed off from the cabin (just a wooden hatch) or designed for draining. So if I made use of it I'd need to be able to seal it off well from the deck. A deck inspection plate might actually be a decent idea where I could just reach down in and pull out the rode.
I have the same thing on my boat. It is just a question of getting in there and glassing up the compartment so that it is isolated from the v-berth, and drilling a drain hole. (there is already a bulkhead there with a fabric cover over the opening) There is even a round void in the non-skid on the foredeck where something like this would fit nicely. I guess it was an option on my boat!

Hull#101
Old 07-06-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

My drum winch, 22 inches by 11 inches, holds 550 feet of half inch nylon. It is what all fishboats use here,the hydralic version. I have been using one since 79, and wouldnt do it any other way. No dead crabs below decks.
Old 10-17-2013
Singlehander by Default

nighthawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I have the same thing on my boat. It is just a question of getting in there and glassing up the compartment so that it is isolated from the v-berth, and drilling a drain hole. (there is already a bulkhead there with a fabric cover over the opening) There is even a round void in the non-skid on the foredeck where something like this would fit nicely. I guess it was an option on my boat!

I have basically the same setup (and problem) jsut forward of my v-berth only mine is oval. Anchor hangs on the pulpit hangers and the rode is stored below. My rode consists of 35 foot of chain attached to to 165 feet of 1/2" nylon line. Only problem I have is fitting it all in the compartment. Damn near have to jump up and down on it to get the last 10 feet in. Nice thing is the rope locker feeds to the bilge so I can snake it down after doing some modifications. Contrary to my former belief, I am finding that 1/2" twisted line will not feed itself with the slightest change from straight vertical--especially down the inside of a fiberglass hull! Looking at a modification to mine with a fiberglass tunnel and some type of slick covering (maybe heavy visquene glued as a liner?) to get it to slide into the storage area under the v-berth. Will post some pics and the resulting solution--could just be a pic of me with my head hung in disgust tho!

Visit my blog--

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
Old 10-17-2013

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road

Like ASDF said above, we just have a little closed off area at the very tip of our v-Berth too, on our Catalina 27. I put one of the Hawse Pipes (see Denise's picture above) on the deck immediately above this little area. It works great. I just lock the Hawse pipe cover open and drop the rode and then the last 20' of chain into the hole. There is a little "notch" in the cover so that can be closed and (relatively) watertight with the chain leading out to the Danforth anchor - - which I have hung on the rail with a pair of 'brackets'. I never have to remove the anchor, or carry heavy gear across the deck from the stern.

At first I was worried that that area below (where the rode and chain get stored) would get wet, and musty, and moldy and nasty. That hasn't happened at all. We lived on the boat for two months in the Bahamas in May/June (HOT, humid, and rainy). Even in that situation, apparently there was enough air moving through there that it wasn't a problem at all.

We are very happy with this solution.

The only downside we've experienced is that sometimes it's a little time consuming to shove the rode and chain down through the hole, particularly difficult if we have the dink tied on the foredeck.

Let me know if you'd like - I'd be glad to send you a picture too.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Old 10-17-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
I have basically the same setup (and problem) jsut forward of my v-berth only mine is oval. Anchor hangs on the pulpit hangers and the rode is stored below. My rode consists of 35 foot of chain attached to to 165 feet of 1/2" nylon line. Only problem I have is fitting it all in the compartment. Damn near have to jump up and down on it to get the last 10 feet in. Nice thing is the rope locker feeds to the bilge so I can snake it down after doing some modifications. Contrary to my former belief, I am finding that 1/2" twisted line will not feed itself with the slightest change from straight vertical--especially down the inside of a fiberglass hull! Looking at a modification to mine with a fiberglass tunnel and some type of slick covering (maybe heavy visquene glued as a liner?) to get it to slide into the storage area under the v-berth. Will post some pics and the resulting solution--could just be a pic of me with my head hung in disgust tho!
Possible answer for smallish anchor locker or even no
anchor locker...
This spring I bought following at Defender for my
15 lb. Manson day anchor...Yale Nylon Brait 8 strand
200' 1/2" $135. came with nylon thimble, I had them put
a SS thimble on other end.

Much more compact to store than 3 strand, very soft and lays well,doesnt kink, thinking breaking strength around 8,000 lbs... they say one can use smaller diameter.
The Following User Says Thank You to HUGOSALT For This Useful Post:
nighthawk (10-18-2013)