Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll give some thought to this.

I hung the anchor on the mount on the bow pulpit for the first time last night (coming back from fireworks) and realized it partially blocks the forward nav light. So that's one more wrinkle to work out.

I do have a small storage space in the very tip of the V birth but it's not properly sealed off from the cabin (just a wooden hatch) or designed for draining. So if I made use of it I'd need to be able to seal it off well from the deck. A deck inspection plate might actually be a decent idea where I could just reach down in and pull out the rode.
there will come a time when you need that hook right now to avert a disaster, not in five minutes while you go dig it out aft. The anchor needs to be mounted up front the rode properly stored in a locker or box and the bitter end secured. You do know why its called the bitter end? In panic situations its very common for the anchor to be launched only to watch the rode play out and then gone because the bitter end was not secured.
Delta-T likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2013
Singlehander by Default

nighthawk is on a distinguished road

Thanks Hugo--
Their website has it selling for 87 cents a foot. Think I will order some and see how it works. You can never have too much rope!

Visit my blog--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
Old 10-18-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I positively *hate* the pulpit hanging rig that came from the PO on my boat! Caught lines and actually fell off in a choppy sea state.
I have a small rode locker and a no -top hawsepipe on deck and never have water or musty issues.
I keep the Danforth on deck with the 8 foot of vinyl clad chain looped, ready to drop. It's snugged up against one toe rail, near the stay plate; but outta the way of any rigging or the cleat.
No room or $$ for a 'lectric windlass. For the cost of that, I can hire a strong boy to stand on deck and wait till I need it hauled
I keep the back-up, spare Danforth and some 100-odd feet of rode in the stern locker....just in case.

Dropping the hook from the cockpit sounds real nice..till ya (try ta) figger out how to run the rode alla the way fwd to the bit/chock. Mebbe wrap it around the outside of the stanchions till ya get the right length??
Old 10-19-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Nighthawk,
I didn't mention line was also somewhat lighter than the 3 strand
and easy on the hands. Used extensively this past summer.
Also other brands/vendors out there selling similiar called
8 plait and 8 braided. I normally would splice myself
but had defender splice the thimble on as splicing seemed
more involved than I wanted to deal with.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
I positively *hate* the pulpit hanging rig that came from the PO on my boat! Caught lines and actually fell off in a choppy sea state.
I have a small rode locker and a no -top hawsepipe on deck and never have water or musty issues.
I keep the Danforth on deck with the 8 foot of vinyl clad chain looped, ready to drop. It's snugged up against one toe rail, near the stay plate; but outta the way of any rigging or the cleat.
No room or $$ for a 'lectric windlass. For the cost of that, I can hire a strong boy to stand on deck and wait till I need it hauled
I keep the back-up, spare Danforth and some 100-odd feet of rode in the stern locker....just in case.

Dropping the hook from the cockpit sounds real nice..till ya (try ta) figger out how to run the rode alla the way fwd to the bit/chock. Mebbe wrap it around the outside of the stanchions till ya get the right length??
once you bite the bullet and spring for a helm controlled windlass you will soon be kicking yourself for not getting one years ago. I have them on all my boats even a little 18 foot power boat. The bitter end is supposed to be tied off so I don't understand the bit/chock thing
Old 10-21-2013
Singlehander by Default

Thumbs up Re: Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Nighthawk,
I didn't mention line was also somewhat lighter than the 3 strand
and easy on the hands. Used extensively this past summer.
Also other brands/vendors out there selling similiar called
8 plait and 8 braided. I normally would splice myself
but had defender splice the thimble on as splicing seemed
more involved than I wanted to deal with.
Hope this helps.
Figured you wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't a keeper, then went to their website and saw the comparison of stowage room between their rope and 3 strand. I figure even taking into account 30% variance due to advertising hype, it would still fit the bill. Ordered 200 foot on Friday. I'm so confident it will work that I put the cover back on the interior of the anchor locker and put my fiberglassing skills aside until it arrives. Thanks a ton for the tip!

Visit my blog--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
Old 10-28-2013
Singlehander by Default

Smile Re: Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker

Got the new rope on Friday and went to stow it in the locker on Saturday--I will admit that it compresses much better than three strand and I can easily fit 200 feet where I had to fight to get 120' feet in previously, but still not enough room to fit the chain in behind it--looks like locker modifications are upcoming--gotta find a way to get this stuff lower in the boat. I have to do some glass work to the aft lockers, so I guess we'll be glassing at stem and stern! Keep an eye on the low bucks projects thread(Well, so long as we don't count the cost of the rope!)

Visit my blog--

Old 10-28-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
You do know why its called the bitter end? In panic situations its very common for the anchor to be launched only to watch the rode play out and then gone because the bitter end was not secured.
Old 10-29-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

A couple of thoughts that haven't been covered.

First, the open rode locker into the v-berth is a classic design "feature." There should be a drain either overboard (better) or into the bilge (unfortunate but okay). Usually there is a door with vents between the locker and v-berth. Sometimes it's a piece of canvas snapped over the access opening. The key to a pleasant environment is to keep the drains clear and clean the rode as well as possible before stowage.

Chain is heavy. This puts you in an awkward position of choosing between more chain (fundamentally good but heavy) and less (less good but easier to move around).

My sailing profile seems to be a bit different than most of those posting in this thread. Nevertheless my solutions may be of interest.

I have a Rocna 25 (55#) on 80m of 5/16" (actually 8mm) HT chain with a windlass that drops into the bottom of my chain locker. Another 15m of chain lives in a 5 gallon bucket that shares to top of the anchor locker with six big fenders and my washdown hose. While my anchor locker may be bigger than those discussed here there is lots of stuff in yet. *grin* Stuff expands to fill the space available.

The second length of chain is for my secondary anchor (a Rocna 25 Stowable in the sail locker under the v-berth). I have 80m of Yale Brait (New England Ropes Multi-Plait is an equivalent) in another bucket in my cockpit locker to finish up the secondary rode.

I also have 60m of 16mm lead-core line for a stern anchor. This has been great for med mooring and is easy to keep clean. It's pretty common in Europe but I haven't seen anything in the US except the smaller diameter stuff that crabbers use on trot lines.

Short version - think about weight and moving things around, keeping everything clean before stowing, and the time and energy it takes to move stowed bits around on a bouncing deck. Frankly, small boats (I used to have a Catalina Capri 22) are more work in waves than bigger ones are.

For the smaller boats that have been the topics of posts on this thread you might try SailFar.net.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 10-29-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: pail

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulatcrag View Post
I have a canvas bucket with a stiff metal hoop in the top to keep it open. I drop the rode in as I haul it, then I unshackle the anchor and stow below after it has dried somewhat in the bucket. Probably not the best but certainly saisfactory.
I do the same thing with my secondary anchor rode (all but the chain). It works pretty well.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico