Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 Old 10-29-2013 Thread Starter

Re: pail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I do the same thing with my secondary anchor rode (all but the chain). It works pretty well.
My shackle is ceased shut and I was about to pry it open when it occurred to me that I should probably have monel ceasing wire on hand to secure it in the future. Well I haven't gotten that yet so I've just left the chain attached.

When you shackle and unshackle are you using ceasing wire or anything else?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 10-29-2013

Re: Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker

This is what has been on my boat for 44 years, has never leaked. Made for securing the chain (you should have chain leader) through the deck and has a hook on the underside of the cover to hold the cover down and chain up.

http://www.boatersland.com/sdg322070.html?gclid=CL6A6Oi2vLoCFel_QgodaH0AMQ[/IMG]

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #33 of 42 Old 10-29-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
My shackle is ceased shut and I was about to pry it open when it occurred to me that I should probably have monel ceasing wire on hand to secure it in the future. Well I haven't gotten that yet so I've just left the chain attached.

you may want to consider some anti-seize on that shackle with the wire. you may never know when you want to take it apart

Art Haberland

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 42 Old 10-30-2013
Singlehander by Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
This is what has been on my boat for 44 years, has never leaked. Made for securing the chain (you should have chain leader) through the deck and has a hook on the underside of the cover to hold the cover down and chain up.

http://www.boatersland.com/sdg322070.html?gclid=CL6A6Oi2vLoCFel_QgodaH0AMQ[/IMG]

This is what I have on Wind Angel. I like the setup and it works well. Especially like the chain hook on the underside since I usually travel with the rode unattached and anchor tied down seperately. My issue is with an overly small stowage area underneath the cover.

Spencer
Laguna Windrose 22 "Wind Angel"
Catalina 16

Visit my blog--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
post #35 of 42 Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post

Usually cable ties.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #36 of 42 Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Usually cable ties.
I admit I have used cable ties also but they often break and we shouldn't use them. Better to use wire. I've been thinking of using locktite. Locktite holds really well and can be undone with a wrench.
post #37 of 42 Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I admit I have used cable ties also but they often break and we shouldn't use them. Better to use wire. I've been thinking of using locktite. Locktite holds really well and can be undone with a wrench.
True. The reason I use cable ties is that they are easy to keep handy, are easy to use, and easy to cut loose when you are done.

Most of the time, what causes cable ties to break, is due to UV exposure and breakdown. Using black cable ties, and the fact that they are underwater, both help this from being as serious an issue. They can be cut and abraded, but not that easily.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #38 of 42 Old 10-31-2013

Walmart carries stainless steal cable ties. Of all places to find something like that for a reasonable price!! Kind of like a CV boot clamp on a car or Quad. They started carrying then in the last year. Garden Bender 11" Cable Tie, 100 lb, Stainless Steel, 10pk: TV & Video : Walmart.com

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #39 of 42 Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
Walmart carries stainless steal cable ties. Of all places to find something like that for a reasonable price!! Kind of like a CV boot clamp on a car or Quad. They started carrying then in the last year. Garden Bender 11" Cable Tie, 100 lb, Stainless Steel, 10pk: TV & Video : Walmart.com
That's what I like about his site! Thanks, I'll be checking those out.

post #40 of 42 Old 08-07-2014 Thread Starter

So it's over a year later and one small improvement I settled on was to buy a nylon log carrier (about $12 on Amazon) to carry both the anchor and the rode.

I think this is a pretty decent idea which will make my life easier.

I also replaced the rode on my bigger anchor, which was over-sized by about 2 sizes on both chain and rode. And it wasn't even that long (150') yet was incredibly heavy and bulky.

With the new defender pre-made 1/2" 8-plait 215' rode, which is much more compact, I'll be able to move the bigger anchor and rode from the V-birth to the bilge under the cabin floor - in the log carrier. Not perfect but still pretty quick to retrieve , and far better than under the V-birth cushions.

The small anchor (which also has an incorrectly sized rode - but is too small), still lives in the cockpit locker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.