Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013

BillA98272 is on a distinguished road
Cleaning boat cushions

Slowly working on this old boat and I'm a newbie. Time to clean v-birth and seatee cushions. I'm not sure if hosing them down is a good idea. The boat has sat since 2008 and they have been kept dry. There isn't any real mildew smell or anything like that. They are a heavy upholstery material not sunbrella and not sure what type of foam is inside. Anyome have pointer on cleaning them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Re: Cleaning boat cushions

We have taken ours to a local business that does carpet and upholstery cleaning and had very good results. The cost to get the v-berth mattress cleaned was $80. I figure they have the knowledge, experience and equipment to do the job so it's worth the cost. It's a once in a while thing, I don't need the skill.

I'll save my skills for the routine maintenance and repairs on the boat.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

As long as the foam inside is not deteriorated you can take them to the car wash that you put quarters in and pressure wash them. Use some nice smelling Gain Joyful Expressions type stuff, the detergent and then the fabric softener, and make sure you rinse them out well with the pressure washer. Then when you are done, take them and prop them up somewhere in the nice sun and let them dry, you can squish the water out of them first, but they should dry in a nice day. I do this with boat cushions, car seats and interior carpet,my foulies, and my coveralls from work, and other things you would not think it would work on, of course I have my own pressure washer, but the quarter car wash will be just fine and a lot cheaper than $80.00 each. Just don't lay them on anything nasty, like the concrete floor in the was bay, or anywhere you will get grease on them.
Old 07-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I don't think I'd pressure wash those. A cockpit cushion, yes. But not the interior cushions. For those, I'd probably take the covers off the foam and hit them with an upholstery/rug cleaner.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I don't think I'd pressure wash those. A cockpit cushion, yes. But not the interior cushions. For those, I'd probably take the covers off the foam and hit them with an upholstery/rug cleaner.
You might not, I would, have, and did more than once and they came out looking great. You cannot hold the tip really close on them, and yes they will get soaked, but foam will dry out very nicely.
Old 07-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

If that had been tried on my old cushions, the fabric wouldn't have survived and it would have taken months for the foam to dry (since transporting them back and forth to the boat was difficult due to their size). Glad you had better luck.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-07-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
If that had been tried on my old cushions, the fabric wouldn't have survived and it would have taken months for the foam to dry (since transporting them back and forth to the boat was difficult due to their size). Glad you had better luck.
That was why I said that as long as the foam was not going to dissolve, I guess I should have said that about the fabric too LOL. I was going under the assumption that the cushions and covers were worth washing to start with, but if they would come apart obviously you would just have to go the other way and have new covers made. I know a couple of people who have had to have new covers and cushions made, a couple of them went with memory foam cushions. One couple, who have a Morgan Out Island 41' which they bought used, and every single cushion in it was just rotten, it was not cheap, but the memory foam is soooo comfortable.

I am glad you were able to get yours done and not have to replace them.
jimgo likes this.
Old 07-15-2013

XDLaser is on a distinguished road

you can probably get away with hosing them down and washing with a mild detergent, mix a small amount of detergent into a 5 gallon bucket, hand wash, spray them down, then let them dry out really well before you put them back in the boat
Old 07-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

When cushions are washable (can't tell from the description), I use Woolite. If that isn't good enough, you probably need new covers.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-15-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

If the covers are removeable why not put in the clothes washer on gentle? Just air dry afterwards. Sometimes foam takes too long to dry and can get musty. Better to air out the foam and spray with a deodorizer like Febreeze or sprinkle with baking soda.