Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Tohatsu troubles

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road

Can't remember the exact HP, I think 2.5. One of the biggest mistakes I have made. Took it back to Boat US a day or two after I bought it and they would not replace it. We took it apart outside the store and found the carb bowl full of gas. Drained it and it ran ok for about one day. Finally took it to their authorized dealer and they told me it was dirty gas. Well gas was only about 1 week old. anyway they cleaned the Carb, charged me $80 and told me I should have bought it from an authorized dealer in the first place.
About a week or two later I took it on a short cruise and guess what, it wouldn't run again.

I will never never never buy any product made by Tohatsu. They are crap.
Got rid of it and bought a Suzky 2.5 four stroke. Believe it or not, same problem. This time I took it back to the dealer and the factory replaced the Carb. Finally it worked.
THE JETS ARE TOO SMALL.
Old 07-08-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I have a Tahotsu 9.8 and have only use ethanol free gas. I have never had a problem. I don't think it's Tahotsu that's the problem it's the fuel. Mercury dealers here in Canada, probably in the USA as well, have been told to tell there customers to avoid ethanol gas. They too will not cover ethanol related problems.
Old 07-08-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I just Googled "Ethanol Free gas stations Texas" ...There aren't very many of them here.
Old 07-08-2013

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road

clean the carb

I'd let a shop do it

if you take it to a shop, be sure to lay it down for transport on the 'arm' side (don't make the mistake I did, oily mess and extra repair work)
Old 07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalrich View Post
I will never never never buy any product made by Tohatsu. They are crap.
Got rid of it and bought a Suzky 2.5 four stroke. Believe it or not, same problem. This time I took it back to the dealer and the factory replaced the Carb. Finally it worked.
THE JETS ARE TOO SMALL.
I believe it because its not the engine, its the fuel, ethanol that is. You proved it yourself in your statement highlighted above.

I have not had my Tohatsu 9.8 for long, three years, but I am very satisfied with it. They also make the small Mercury and Nissan's, just different labels and some minor differences.

In any of the smaller engines using something like Sta Bil and running it dry will pretty much eliminate any issues with starting or idle/running...if long term storage such as winter, I would also drain the bowl.

I'll mention it again, there is really no need to waste $80+ on a mechanic, the carb on the Tohatsu is so easy to clean its silly. Cant say the same for Honda.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
These are all great suggestions with your theories confirming ours - that it's likely the carb. We've never removed one before so it should be entertaining, but I'm taking to heart the fact that it doesn't seem to be a difficult job.

Would it be better to use the spray cleaner or should we let it soak in the other stuff?
You can try mixing about a 50% mix of gas & cleaner. Run it, let it set for a day or two, you might get lucky.

I have used a combination of spray cleaner , thin wire and compressed air. Never had to soak the whole carb but it might help if the first attempts don't work. I have used Berryman's B-12 fuel conditioner/ cleaner for many years. Other products may be as good. Be careful, Berrymans can remove paint.

Paul T
Old 07-08-2013

timangiel is on a distinguished road

I have seen a few threads like this one with people advising to use non-ethanol gas, run the carb dry after use, drain the carb, dump gas older than 30 days, ect., and it is all is good advice, but I find it a little strange that I can put ethanol gas in my lawn mower, leave it sit all winter, and in the spring it starts right up. Ok, so I don't advise doing that to your lawn mower, and I understand that a lawn mower is not the same thing as a marine outboard engine, but why don't they make them a little more lawn mower like? A little more forgiving, a little more bullet proof? they just seem to be overly fussy. Is there some kind of reason for this?
Old 07-08-2013

Yup, I use my rota tiller maybe once every year, the gas sits in it for a year or more, and damn if the thing doesnt start everytime. Briggs & Stratton 5 hp engines rock

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-08-2013

jefuchs is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine researched this

We at TSBB had several conversations about this, and Bill Butts called the manufacturer who told him they are required to sell new motors with a the small-jet carbs due to EPA requirements, but could sell an after market replacement that isn't allowed on motors sold as new. I took his advice, and bought Item ID:354, 0.07CARB 3R4032001M from Internet Outboards. My OB is 6 HP 4 stroke.

That was in 2009, but I had to stop sailing before getting the boat back in the water. I just got her back in the water in May, and have had no trouble so far.
Lou452 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jefuchs For This Useful Post:
Lou452 (10-23-2013)